Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

being the only one employed in oz

being the only one employed in oz

Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:08 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice
Default being the only one employed in oz

hi all wondered if anyone can give me advice (good ,bad or really bad) im a nurse who may be going to perth and husband is a prison officer , who wants to leave the stress behind and retrain over there ( i think hes wants to be a man of leisure, ha ha) could we manage and has anyone had similar experiences of this situation, we will make about 100,000 on our gaff so will it be a good life for us and our two little boys aor had i beter get used to the taste of beans every day.lisa :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: being the only one employed in oz

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi all wondered if anyone can give me advice (good ,bad or really bad) im a nurse who may be going to perth and husband is a prison officer , who wants to leave the stress behind and retrain over there ( i think hes wants to be a man of leisure, ha ha) could we manage and has anyone had similar experiences of this situation, we will make about 100,000 on our gaff so will it be a good life for us and our two little boys aor had i beter get used to the taste of beans every day.lisa :scared:
I think it depends on your mortgage result.

The average wage and No Mortgage, and the answer is.......... Well, I became a "man of leisure", while my wife works

PS: we eat much better than baked beans

Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think it depends on your mortgage result.

The average wage and No Mortgage, and the answer is.......... Well, I became a "man of leisure", while my wife works

PS: we eat much better than baked beans
Beans are good food.

100k is about $235,000 - subtract $7k for stamp duty leaving $228k - that won't buy anything in Perth, bar perhaps a small flat.

If you are moving to a rural community $228k will be enough for a nice enough place.

you'll still need to get cars and stuff. You'r old man had better get looking for a job, or get used to the taste of beans

Last edited by renth; Mar 9th 2006 at 11:37 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:26 am
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

ohhh im a little put off now. :scared: we have two small boys so the plan would be that he gets them sorted and i get a job as a nurse until he finds something, he may have to go in the prison service, would a mortgage result depend on my income only, how does it work.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:41 am
ABCDiamond

ohhh im a little put off now. :scared: we have two small boys so the plan would be that he gets them sorted and i get a job as a nurse until he finds something, he may have to go in the prison service, would a mortgage result depend on my income only, how does it work.
A mortgage would be calculated on your combined income + the FTB (child allowance equivalent)

Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:45 am
lisa

hi if we had approx 100,000 in our pockets and a contingency plan of about 10,000, we are looking at property around the 375,000 max mark, would i be right in thinking that, if i got a job as a nurse which would be approx 40,000 dollars(maybe a little more i am a theatre sister) if hubby doesnt work were are pooped and id better put my sun tan lotion back in the garage.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:30 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you touch that sun tan lotion! PUT IT DOWN!
Why don't you rent for a while, see what your hubbie manages to get work wise and then think about the house of your dreams. You might need some of your savings to start with but...... it will all work out.

Sass

hi if we had approx 100,000 in our pockets and a contingency plan of about 10,000, we are looking at property around the 375,000 max mark, would i be right in thinking that, if i got a job as a nurse which would be approx 40,000 dollars(maybe a little more i am a theatre sister) if hubby doesnt work were are pooped and id better put my sun tan lotion back in the garage.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:44 am
lisa

ahh thanks for your reply, weve just had a row, i know where hes coming from,i wouldnt like to do his job, but im scared if we go over and only me working it turns into a nightmare and not a dream, :scared: we do have equity and im a grafter so maybe the ambre solaire gets an airing, we have two boys seven and two and im sure that we could do what we are doing now , over there but its better for those two rascals.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:06 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lisa
we're in exactly the same situation. I have a job to start when we get there ( mental health nurse ) and the idea is that my husband will hopefully get a less stressful job and we'll have a better, more relaxed quality of life.
We've made around the same amount of money on the house to take ( sounds like a lot but I'm sure it won't feel like that when we get there )
My husband is also worried. Although he is happy to work ( but would prefer to be a beach bum too!) I don't want to just replace the stressful life we have here for one over there.
There is loads of work for nurses ( so it shouldn't be beans on toast EVERY night )and I'm really looking forward to a completely new adventure. You'll be fine and have a great life with your family. Go for it!
Loubags
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Similar story here, Im working while wife is at home. We plan to rent for a year or so, see how things go. I suppose Mrs Manx will go to work eventually then we can start thinking about buying a property.

Give it a go I say.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Similar story here, Im working while wife is at home. We plan to rent for a year or so, see how things go. I suppose Mrs Manx will go to work eventually then we can start thinking about buying a property.

Give it a go I say.
You are really letting the side down.

The idea is to get the wives working when you get here, and then us men live the life of Riley

Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:41 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a psyche nurse by profession, but felt burnt out and need of a change when I got here.

Originally on a 457, so couldn't do anything about it initially, but got 136 SI in July....then left my job and now organise chess tournaments and coaching.
Very happy and unstressed
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:51 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Good for you - bit of a change from nursing to chess
I'd love to do something different in the future - not sure what yet though.
Maybe importer of bags and shoes, or wine taster
Glad its all worked out for you.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:09 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loubags
Good for you - bit of a change from nursing to chess
I'd love to do something different in the future - not sure what yet though.
Maybe importer of bags and shoes, or wine taster
Glad its all worked out for you.
Thanks

It is, but my husband is a chess coach, so been with it for the last 15 years...might as well join him !
Really enjoying it though

What do you do now ?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:27 am
One of Big G's girls.

Working on the bank at the moment. Left last job in January ( 14 - 16 Education Project ). I've got sponsorship to Perth and have lined up some work within the child and adolescent services, so will go and see what that holds :scared:
We have to go on a 457 visa, as my last post was in the Education Services, rather than Health, so I didn't qualify for the 20+ hours per week for the independant visa. Health Authority have said they will sponsor us for permanent residency once I begin work with them tho.
We had medicals sent this week, so shouldn't be too long to wait for the visa. Hoping to be over begining of May!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.