Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being insured on relative's car in UK with Aussie licence

Being insured on relative's car in UK with Aussie licence

Old May 6th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being insured on relative's car in UK with Aussie licence

I have looked for a previous post I remember but can't find.

I want to be insured on my brother's car next week when I visit the UK. However, my UK licence is now out of date so I will be on my Aussie one. Are there any issues with this? I know it's obviously not with hire cars but not sure about private insurance. I have one point on my licence - will that be an issue?

Thanks for any help.
Old May 6th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Being insured on relative's car in UK with Aussie licence

Originally Posted by itigo

I want to be insured on my brother's car next week when I visit the UK. However, my UK licence is now out of date so I will be on my Aussie one. Are there any issues with this? I know it's obviously not with hire cars but not sure about private insurance. I have one point on my licence - will that be an issue?

Thanks for any help.
All depends on your bothers insurance and what they say since there's nothing you can do about it. The point will not make a jot of difference. Your brother is the only one who can talk to his insurance company and see what the impact would be for you to be on a licence from another country.

All guesswork - only your brother knows (or can find) the answer...
Old May 6th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
Is it the photocard licence you have?

It's normally only the photo that has expired not the actual entitlement to drive using that licence. So when you go back you can arrange to have the photo updated and still drive under that licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...R_PO_Spotlight
Old May 6th 2011, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Is it the photocard licence you have?

It's normally only the photo that has expired not the actual entitlement to drive using that licence. So when you go back you can arrange to have the photo updated and still drive under that licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...R_PO_Spotlight
Oh ok, thanks for that.........
Old May 6th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slipshot
All depends on your bothers insurance and what they say since there's nothing you can do about it. The point will not make a jot of difference. Your brother is the only one who can talk to his insurance company and see what the impact would be for you to be on a licence from another country.

All guesswork - only your brother knows (or can find) the answer...
His wife is currently in labour so he's otherwise occupied! Just sussing it out to see if it would be a waste of his busy time to even try.........
Old May 6th 2011, 5:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

His wife is currently in labour so he's otherwise occupied! Just sussing it out to see if it would be a waste of his busy time to even try.........

My folks successfully added me to their insurance when I visited over Christmas. I only had an Aussie licence at the time, and the Prudential didn't seem to care.

S
Old May 6th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Ah - makes sense. It should be fine but he';ll have to do it and if there is a cost, it will depend on his insurance company as all are different.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slipshot
Ah - makes sense. It should be fine but he';ll have to do it and if there is a cost, it will depend on his insurance company as all are different.
Thanks. I am willing to pay the extra costs that's no problem. Still cheaper than hiring......