Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is being an estate agent a good job opportunity ?

Is being an estate agent a good job opportunity ?

Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Is being an estate agent a good job opportunity ?

Just looking at the housing market in Oz, one has to ask whether being an estate agent is not a good business opportunity. Either to work for an established agency and earn commission (but still work your own hours and therefore have some flexibility for family), or start your own agency and work from there (more work, but more rewards in the long term).
I checked it out, and there is a course for AUD900.

As I am sitting on the other end of the world, this may be all very well in the thinking.....but practicality?

Is this a seriously good job opportunity.....or much of a muchness....?

What thoughts?

Nix

(hopefully heading to Perth in a year....and thinking of doing some pre-planning).
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is being an estate agent a good job opportunity ?

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Just looking at the housing market in Oz, one has to ask whether being an estate agent is not a good business opportunity. Either to work for an established agency and earn commission (but still work your own hours and therefore have some flexibility for family), or start your own agency and work from there (more work, but more rewards in the long term).

As I am sitting on the other end of the world, this may be all very well in the thinking.....but practicality?

What thoughts?

Nix

(hopefully heading to Perth in a year....and thinking of doing some pre-planning).
Cut throat would be an understatement, any area with a decent property market usually has between 6 and 13 real estate agents in the main street.

I dont know about perth, but in qld the 1% flat fee agents have finally hit the market, so add about 3 of those franchises trying to break into the market too.

Being an agent, you getting the listings is the key, with so many agents thats the hard part, the basic wage is around $400 a week. Hours are long, evenings and weekends to get the wage.

We researched this really well about 18 months ago, was offered a RE business for sale, didnt buy it, it now has 3 agents in the area doing the discounted comission....

But as you can imagine with courses from 4 days and 600bucks to qualify loads of new agents enter the fray every week, looks like many still consider it worth a punt.

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 12th 2008 at 8:58 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:38 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think that being an agent would give you much time to spend with the family ....

Sure=, the hours are flexible, but from what I can see from my mates in the business, most clients (boith vendors and potential purchasers) want meetings and viewings at time that suits them - more often than not this is after work or on weekends.

Weekends are the busiest times for house hunters, with newspaper advertisers releasing their property seciotns on thurs friu and sat (depending on the papaer and the area). Open houses all day Sat, auctions on Sundays......

PLus, once clients have your mobile phone number don't think they won't call you at 8am or 9pm!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:31 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

bobcats the man to ask...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:39 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

May not be the best market to be cutting your teeth on just now?

Why not do a rental agent's course?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Cut throat would be an understatement, any area with a decent property market usually has between 6 and 13 real estate agents in the main street.

I dont know about perth, but in qld the 1% flat fee agents have finally hit the market, so add about 3 of those franchises trying to break into the market too.

Being an agent, you getting the listings is the key, with so many agents thats the hard part, the basic wage is around $400 a week. Hours are long, evenings and weekends to get the wage.

We researched this really well about 18 months ago, was offered a RE business for sale, didnt buy it, it now has 3 agents in the area doing the discounted comission....

But as you can imagine with courses from 4 days and 600bucks to qualify loads of new agents enter the fray every week, looks like many still consider it worth a punt.
Just to add to this good advice above.

Look at NZ where a majority of property is now traded online ie trademe.

With respect to Bobcat I think his skill set is likely too change from the more traditional shop front listings to more of a middlemen negoiator (either buyer or seller). Well thats just my thoughts not that of Bobs. For unexperienced or unskilled agents the clock is ticking.

To the OP, no harm in doing any courses if they provide more insight into the process or local laws etc. At least you can use these skills.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a good job if you were qualified. By that I mean a former car salesman, double glazing salesman or any kind of cold calling saleman.

Not to put a too finer point on it, I think every aussie estate agent should be dragged into the main street whipped,tarred and feathered and then left naked in 40 degree heat
If they survived they should be allowed to try and sell you a property, but only allowed to talk to you whilst wired to a lie detector.

Other than that I think they do a good job

John
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Wow - certainly alot of very good thinking on this topic !
Just reading the replies, I realise that I am not the right personality for this kind of work. I am a corporate individual by background and not a cut throat salesman - more of a relationship builder. I suppose with the market the way it is, there is little time to build those relationships - rather each man for himself.
And 1% commission !!! Is that a joke? Who works for that?
The norm is usually 5% negotiable to a point...

I have been self employed for the last 10 years (out of corporate) and love the flexibility it brings. We have a young child.
In our move to Aus, I would like to retain that balance that we have worked so hard to achieve, and as entrepreneurs, we are prepared to consider every kind of work oportunity. However, I did not consider the weekend and evening work (I now live on an island, and am out of the routine of a more "fast paced" lifestyle). For me, being around to raise my child is crucial, but also whilst achieving the mental and intellectual stimulation that I seek, and the obvious financial requirements to earn a living....

Thanks to everyone for their reply.

This idea that came out of no-where, is going right back into the box !!!

Nix
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Wow - certainly alot of very good thinking on this topic !
Just reading the replies, I realise that I am not the right personality for this kind of work. I am a corporate individual by background and not a cut throat salesman - more of a relationship builder. I suppose with the market the way it is, there is little time to build those relationships - rather each man for himself.
And 1% commission !!! Is that a joke? Who works for that?
The norm is usually 5% negotiable to a point...

I have been self employed for the last 10 years (out of corporate) and love the flexibility it brings. We have a young child.
In our move to Aus, I would like to retain that balance that we have worked so hard to achieve, and as entrepreneurs, we are prepared to consider every kind of work oportunity. However, I did not consider the weekend and evening work (I now live on an island, and am out of the routine of a more "fast paced" lifestyle). For me, being around to raise my child is crucial, but also whilst achieving the mental and intellectual stimulation that I seek, and the obvious financial requirements to earn a living....

Thanks to everyone for their reply.

This idea that came out of no-where, is going right back into the box !!!

Nix
Nix and Mike,
I'm glad you startd this thread as the OH was considering a career change in this direction. He has also been self employed. It dosen't sound like such a good idea now, after reading the feedbck that you have been getting. Kate
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:10 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Is being an estate agent a good job opportunity ?

Why would anyone choose yo become a member of the most hated profession in Australia? Particularly now as all property is so overvalued there is only one way it's going to go.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hi. I recently went to an interview (with Century 21) who were advertising for a sales consultant.

Basically meant I had to pay for course $500, and uniform. Then after a month, I could start trading. I'd be 'on duty' once a fortnight, and if I was lucky enough for someone to call in that day with a property to sell, it would be mind to sell.

There's no basic wage, all commission. I'd have to pay all advertising costs, mailshots, etc. He reckons would be 4-6 before first commission cheque came through the door. On a property worth $500k, this would amount to about $20k commission. Sounds a lot, and would be if you sold a lot, but the initial payout advertising etc put me off. I'd like to be in real estate, but not to that level where I'd be desperate to sell just for the commission - which is what would happen if you're earning ziltch til the first sale comes through.

Not for me, thanks,

KAREN
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

100% not for me either !!!

Karen - thanks for sharing the knowledge with this post. "Knowledge is power" and in this case, it has cemented the decision as a "bad idea" one !!!

But, we'll keep the ideas flowing, and get one will be good one !!!

Cheers!
Nix
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
On a property worth $500k, this would amount to about $20k commission. Sounds a lot

KAREN
You sure on those figures ?

Ste
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

What thoughts?

Nix

If you love being artificial, an actor and liar, then go for the job!!