Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being a chippie in Melbourne

Being a chippie in Melbourne

Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

neko is on a distinguished road
Default Being a chippie in Melbourne

Hi, I've been trying to figure out what my fiance needs to do to work as a chippy in Melbourne. He has his city & guilds here (in England) and works for a small building firm doing practically everything. He wants to start his own business in Oz eventually but will be happy working for someone else initially.

He seems to be under the impression that he can just walk onto a site and start working, but I'm not sure if his qualifications will be recognised there and I think he needs some sort of licence. Is this true and how can he go about getting it? I have done a search but only got information on Queensland. Can any Melbourne chippies help? Thanks.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:52 pm
Cheeky

Default Re: Being a chippie in Melbourne

Hi there,

Ive read through your post a few times and (I apolgise) but I think you might need to give a bit more info to find someone to help you with your query.

For example what visa you are applying (if applying).

You know about the TRA dont you??

As far as I am aware you have to apply to the TRA (or relevent body) and have your qualifications/skills/job assessed first.

I could be wrong but Im guessing your fiance is a carpenter/joiner by trade??!! Not a budding chipshop entreprenour!!

Also (again as far as Im aware) when we (eventually) migrate to Oz my hubby (who has tra) may have to take some sort of 'test' to prove he can do is trade as well. Not sure if its necessary but we are anticipating it. It may depend on your Oz employer but Im not sure.

Anyway I hope this helps you but you might want to run a search on here and check out the DIMIA website which will point you in the right direction. The web address is www.immi.gov.au

Best of luck,
Cheeky

Originally Posted by neko
Hi, I've been trying to figure out what my fiance needs to do to work as a chippy in Melbourne. He has his city & guilds here (in England) and works for a small building firm doing practically everything. He wants to start his own business in Oz eventually but will be happy working for someone else initially.

He seems to be under the impression that he can just walk onto a site and start working, but I'm not sure if his qualifications will be recognised there and I think he needs some sort of licence. Is this true and how can he go about getting it? I have done a search but only got information on Queensland. Can any Melbourne chippies help? Thanks.

Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi there,

Ive read through your post a few times and (I apolgise) but I think you might need to give a bit more info to find someone to help you with your query.

For example what visa you are applying (if applying).

You know about the TRA dont you??

As far as I am aware you have to apply to the TRA (or relevent body) and have your qualifications/skills/job assessed first.

I could be wrong but Im guessing your fiance is a carpenter/joiner by trade??!! Not a budding chipshop entreprenour!!

Also (again as far as Im aware) when we (eventually) migrate to Oz my hubby (who has tra) may have to take some sort of 'test' to prove he can do is trade as well. Not sure if its necessary but we are anticipating it. It may depend on your Oz employer but Im not sure.

Anyway I hope this helps you but you might want to run a search on here and check out the DIMIA website which will point you in the right direction. The web address is www.immi.gov.au

Best of luck,
Cheeky
Sorry if I wasn't clear. We are applying for a de facto visa so he doesn't have to do a skills assessment. He is a carpenter/joiner by trade. We asked friends in Oz if he could just arrive and find a job and they said yes, but I'd like to hear it from someone a bit more in the know. I have read threads on trade licences on here and they have worried me. I tried looking on the Victorian government website but couldn't find anything. I think I'm just bad at searching
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:30 pm
Cheeky

Ok neko!!

I just noticed that no one had replied to you and wanted to help!!!

Hopefully someone will come along soon!

Cheeky

Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
I'm no expert on chippy jobs but thought you might like to try asking the question on the Britvics forum. Its the new forum for people going to or already living in Victoria.
http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx
Helinuk
Old Oct 27th 2004, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

In Victoria, you need the Building Practicioners Board. There is a website cant remember tho, been in QLD the past 4 years.

Pretty sure it www.buildingcomission.com.au

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 27th 2004 at 9:28 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Ok neko!!

I just noticed that no one had replied to you and wanted to help!!!

Hopefully someone will come along soon!

Cheeky
How sweet!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:58 am
Cheeky

Thats ok neko!!!

Bit sad arent I??!! But ya know I didnt like to see you there just hanging, not knowing!!!

Have you had any luck with it or found anymore info out yet??

Cheeky

Originally Posted by neko
How sweet!

Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Thats ok neko!!!

Bit sad arent I??!! But ya know I didnt like to see you there just hanging, not knowing!!!

Have you had any luck with it or found anymore info out yet??

Cheeky
I've decided to stress about something else today. My fiance's not worried about it so why should I stress. He's an eternal optimist and laid back character whereas I'm a complete stresshead. And I'm the Australian one. We'll check things out when we get there. I just want him to get a job quickly because it turns out I can't go back to my old one .