Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being called a POM? Tell us :)

Being called a POM? Tell us :)

Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:51 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Being called a POM? Tell us :)

This is the POM namecalling helpline. Any issues, we'll sort em for ya. Give us the name and address of any aussie calling you a pom and we'll get da boiz sent raand.

Seriously though....

It was expressed on another thread that alot of name calling and insults get bandied about in Aus.

How true is this?

Has it affected you?

Pete.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Been here 8 months and only been called it twice and in jest (I hope). My boss hollared at me through the factory "Oi Pomme" and at a party an aussie woman said "oh no not another immigrant taking over my counrty".

My hubby gets the piss taken out of him at work, but there is a kiwi there too so he always ends up worse off (the kiwi).

Diane
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thieving dirty backpacker is what I get on the light days. My work is truly Ozzie ie hugarians, english, Kiwis, italians, slovenians, scots and a couple of ozzies. This country needs more immigrants to drown out the Aussie winging.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:19 am
Badge

Twice in 1 year....and that was my best mate (Aussie) trying to cheer himself up when we were all at work..

if you get stuck in, adopt an Aussie "outlook" on things, don't whinge, then the Aussies seem to take to anyone. Seriously, not once was I ever targeted.

Oh and my then gf said I wouldn't "shout if a shark bit me" once but that's not Pommie bashing is it?!

badgers

Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:27 am
owieb

Considering what they call everyone else, being called Pom every now and then doesn't hurt!

Names that would have you hung, drawn and quartered in England are banded around without a care in the world!

Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:30 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Yet some that we use here seem far more severe in oz, which i find wierd.

Someone was called a b*tch at my wifes work, and you should've heard her (the wife) go on about it! It appears the word is far worse in oz than it is over here (i do understand its not pleasant wherever you are.......)
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:39 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm called a Pom at least once a week - most recently a big mouthed Pom, although only in fun. But then I give as good as I get!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:42 am

I don't winge about it I give it to them back. They respect me for it. One statement was "poms are the only people you can get away with giving shit these days"
Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:45 am
dazuk

Well, when i first arrived in oz I worked in a warehouse as a temp in Sydney. I was saving up the money to go travelling up 2 Cairns. No one, even the foreman called me by my real name, I was "pommie".

Once when i was trying to get past a bouncer at a sydney late night pub/club, the said bouncer called me a pom and said he would let me in if I had showered that week!!

The Aussies really love name calling, imagine calling someone a wog in the UK!!!

Anyway the Australians do seem to have a real colonial hangover about them, resulting in a large chip on their collective shoulders when it comes to us Brits.

Thats my tuppence wprth anyway, anyone want to challenge my education again??? Sorry i havent got a BA Hons from hicksville uni mate!!!!!

Old Sep 11th 2003, 8:54 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by dazuk
Well, when i first arrived in oz I worked in a warehouse as a temp in Sydney. I was saving up the money to go travelling up 2 Cairns. No one, even the foreman called me by my real name, I was "pommie".

Once when i was trying to get past a bouncer at a sydney late night pub/club, the said bouncer called me a pom and said he would let me in if I had showered that week!!

The Aussies really love name calling, imagine calling someone a wog in the UK!!!

Anyway the Australians do seem to have a real colonial hangover about them, resulting in a large chip on their collective shoulders when it comes to us Brits.

Thats my tuppence wprth anyway, anyone want to challenge my education again??? Sorry i havent got a BA Hons from hicksville uni mate!!!!!
Tell us a bit about yourself then Daz.

You still in oz?

How long were you there/been there?

Have you come back?

If not, do you like it there (your posts indicate not...).

Anyway :

I was saving up the money to go travelling up 2 Cairns. No one, even the foreman called me by my real name, I was "pommie".
This sort of thing happens when you work in some types of manual job. One of my mates is a plant fitter. His name is Mark, but at work he is known as Chewie (hes a hairy bugger). At first it really annoyed him, but its just what happens, so hes used to it now. Work in a warehouse, and the kind of people there are the kind of people who like to take the piss.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:03 am

I have found the types that like pommie bashing, bash every other nationality as well. Kiwis get it worse. If you let it affect you, you are in for a rough time.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

i was just refered to as "the pommy chick" for 6 months but i was in geraldton so i suppose it was a novelty for them but i liked it! don't know if i'll feel the same now though, i mean i'm gonna be a proper ozzie this time , no WHV for this pommy chick! :scared:
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:37 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dazuk

What do you mean imagine, it happens all the time.

If you are an imigrant in any country you have to be prepared for some name calling light hearted or malicious it happens.

ACE
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ACE

If you are an imigrant in any country you have to be prepared for some name calling light hearted or malicious it happens.

ACE
RE: WOG
Erm.. not really, only used amongst the ignorant/racist in the UK. But in Oz 'Wog' isn't offensive ( see http://www.wog.com.au/ ). So I think the conclusion is that you have to accept it and allow yourself to adjust your perception of certain words when going to Australia.

RE: POM
Been to Oz twice now, only times I've had 'Pom' thrown at me are by a) Cheeky Taxi drivers, b) Drunks in bars that overhear your accent c) Friends having a wind up. It does get a bit monotonous, I'll have to get used to it when I (eventually) get to sSydney I'm sure !
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:44 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ACE

ACE
Exactly. I'm a Canadian but I still get called Yank sometimes.

Vx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.