British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Being Black In Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/being-black-australia-348991/)

Pomster Jan 18th 2006 12:36 am

Re: Being Black In Australia

My husband is half Vietnamese and has never encountered problems- in fact people are amazed at his very proper English accent mixed with his Asian look!

However one of my work friends is from South Africa and calls herself 'coloured' (I loathe that expression). She has settled in Geelong- a big town an hour away from Melbourne. She is one of few non-white people in Geelong, and says she does not like it there, as people stare and she has encountered a number of thoughtless, hurtful remarks. I am trying to persuade her to move to Melbourne where I think she would settle amazingly well. In my burb we have Lebanese, Greek, Vietnamese, Somalian, Sudenese, British, and even the odd Australian.

Basically I think in smaller towns (as in UK) people may react less favourably because you are not what they usually encounter, but in the cities (again like UK) no-one bats an eyelid about anything at all.

Go for it- Australia is a great place to live!

Amazulu Jan 18th 2006 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Pomster
My husband is half Vietnamese and has never encountered problems- in fact people are amazed at his very proper English accent mixed with his Asian look!

However one of my work friends is from South Africa and calls herself 'coloured' (I loathe that expression). She has settled in Geelong- a big town an hour away from Melbourne. She is one of few non-white people in Geelong, and says she does not like it there, as people stare and she has encountered a number of thoughtless, hurtful remarks. I am trying to persuade her to move to Melbourne where I think she would settle amazingly well. In my burb we have Lebanese, Greek, Vietnamese, Somalian, Sudenese, British, and even the odd Australian.

Basically I think in smaller towns (as in UK) people may react less favourably because you are not what they usually encounter, but in the cities (again like UK) no-one bats an eyelid about anything at all.

Go for it- Australia is a great place to live!

I know what you mean about the term 'coloured' but in South African terms it means someone of mixed race, mainly people originally from the Western Cape who are a mixture of Dutch/Afrikaaner settlers & local Hottentot people (from 3 centuries ago). It is an accepted term over there & the people call themselves coloured.

Bordy Jan 18th 2006 2:18 am

No problem out here being black but I wouldn't advertise the fact your English. :D

Pomster Jan 18th 2006 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
No problem out here being black but I wouldn't advertise the fact your English. :D

or Scottish, come to that!

Bordy Jan 18th 2006 2:23 am

or Scottish, come to that!

Heeyyyyyyyy Less of that you. :D

Pomster Jan 18th 2006 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Heeyyyyyyyy Less of that you. :D

Why- are you Scottish Bordy? :rolleyes:

BartSimpson Jan 18th 2006 2:28 am

Originally Posted by CompressedA
I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.

You are risking yourself if you come here...
LG - Lifes good (here)
Anyways you will be risking if you dont make a move to come here...
(You will not know what you will find here)
;)
- Bart

Bordy Jan 18th 2006 2:33 am

Why are you Scottish Bordy? :rolleyes:

Och aye the noo hen. ;)

arkon Jan 18th 2006 3:05 am

I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.

In my area of rural mid north coast NSW I can categorically say you will get treated as though you have two heads. You won’t run the risk of any physical violence I don’t think but if you have an accent then prepare to get lots of snide comments. It’s bad enough for my white Scottish wife here and the only thing that could make their attitude to her worse is if she were black too. If I was black and thinking of coming to Australia I’d seriously think again based on the amount of overt racism I’ve witnessed both out in the streets, shops and also on the TV.

ABOD Jan 18th 2006 3:22 am

Try and take it all on the chin. I live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, where you can get the occasional comment, like 'what are the likes of you doing in here' etc. They are usually the ignorant louts no different to the ones you find back in the UK. Some of the comments can make you feel like you are in 70s Britain at times. However there seems to be a larger concern about the 'lebos' in this area than anything else. Oh and the term 'wog' is not in anyway considered derogatory over here, it is the term used to describe Southern Europeans, they use it themselves.

Nothing unsurmountable.

BartSimpson Jan 18th 2006 3:41 am

Originally Posted by ABOD
Try and take it all on the chin. I live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, where you can get the occasional comment, like 'what are the likes of you doing in here' etc. They are usually the ignorant louts no different to the ones you find back in the UK. Some of the comments can make you feel like you are in 70s Britain at times. However there seems to be a larger concern about the 'lebos' in this area than anything else. Oh and the term 'wog' is not in anyway considered derogatory over here, it is the term used to describe Southern Europeans, they use it themselves.

Nothing unsurmountable.

Bloody hell there is a movie called FAT PIZZA made here in Australia.

I There's all sort of comments about people who are from different religion, place and things even on Police dept..
And one Ausi Guy who like Labenese girls name Labense Lover makes me laugh...

ok you will see a hording in the movie...
"Police today
nabbing
Labenese"
next times its
"Police today
nabbing
Iraqis"...
Thats really funny..

But Australian's know to just smile at those jokes and dont care about what happened. Some stupid ass shit wherever they go, be it sydney, melb or Africa...
as I told.. you will loose either ways, whats harm in trying ;)
- Bart

gedge Jan 18th 2006 4:30 am

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Bloody hell there is a movie called FAT PIZZA made here in Australia.

I There's all sort of comments about people who are from different religion, place and things even on Police dept..
And one Ausi Guy who like Labenese girls name Labense Lover makes me laugh...

ok you will see a hording in the movie...
"Police today
nabbing
Labenese"
next times its
"Police today
nabbing
Iraqis"...
Thats really funny..

But Australian's know to just smile at those jokes and dont care about what happened. Some stupid ass shit wherever they go, be it sydney, melb or Africa...
as I told.. you will loose either ways, whats harm in trying ;)
- Bart

You've got a way with the words Bart, I'll give you that.

BartSimpson Jan 18th 2006 4:44 am

Originally Posted by gedge
You've got a way with the words Bart, I'll give you that.

You are Bret Lee (as your post bounced)
Let me take it as complement from you ;)
- Bart

superam74 Jan 18th 2006 5:13 am

Hi, This is an excellent post for me. I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but being white I didn't really know how to ask it. My wife is Jamaican, as is my 15 year old stepson & I also have a 3 year old son who is obviously mixed race .We are moving to Melbourne this year & I would cancel the whole thing if I thought they were going to get any 'different' treatment from me in Australia. I would love to add more to this post but I'm late for work. regards ,Pete.

Bordy Jan 18th 2006 5:23 am

Originally Posted by superam74
Hi, This is an excellent post for me. I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but being white I didn't really know how to ask it. My wife is Jamaican, as is my 15 year old stepson & I also have a 3 year old son who is obviously mixed race .We are moving to Melbourne this year & I would cancel the whole thing if I thought they were going to get any 'different' treatment from me in Australia. I would love to add more to this post but I'm late for work. regards ,Pete.

She will be made very welcome in Melbourne.