Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

??? on behalf of a friend re: babies & passports

??? on behalf of a friend re: babies & passports

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:25 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ??? on behalf of a friend re: babies & passports

OK if the parents are still both British Citizens and have a baby in Aus I assume it is also a British Citizen?

If the baby is still British and not an Aussie, how do you go about getting a passport if you want to have a trip back home with it?

Can it be added to parents passport or does it need one of it's own?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:34 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ??? on behalf of a friend re: babies & passports

Unsure of all the details.....some info from British high commission Canberra

http://bhc.britaus.net/passports/pas...ault.asp?id=46
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:09 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

If the parents are permanent residents and the baby is born is australia, then the baby is automatical;y an Aistralian citizen and by descent a British citizen.

Both passports can be applied for in the normal way. the british one is applied for using Britaus s the other poster has cprrectly reported. Aussie passport forms are obtainable from your local post office i believe??
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I just had a baby here and it is easy to sort all this out. I read that you should get both passports asap just in case they decide to change the rules. You can fill in the Oz one online and print it off, you then take it to the post office (make and appointment first) and they check all your ID etc. and send it off. It's good because I took UK application with me on the same day and when they had checked all ID I then put it all in the envelope for the UK one and posted it off (you have to send originals of Birth Certificate and your own passport to prove you are British). You can get the UK application from the British High Commission website.
http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp

For Oz passport application
https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Forms/EntryPoint.aspx

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
OK if the parents are still both British Citizens and have a baby in Aus I assume it is also a British Citizen?

If the baby is still British and not an Aussie, how do you go about getting a passport if you want to have a trip back home with it?

Can it be added to parents passport or does it need one of it's own?
By the sound of it the baby is Australian and British.

You will need to get an Aussie passport to allow the baby to get back into the country. Aussies cannot have Australian Visas.

You can't add babies to parents passports anymore (in the UK) - they stopped this about 8 years ago.

You don't need to get a British passport if they are going for a short visit because the baby could enter as an Australian. However, it is probably worth getting one to make things easier for now, and in the future, if the baby decided to work in the UK.

Old Dec 25th 2006, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

I just had a baby here and it is easy to sort all this out. I read that you should get both passports asap just in case they decide to change the rules. You can fill in the Oz one online and print it off, you then take it to the post office (make and appointment first) and they check all your ID etc. and send it off. It's good because I took UK application with me on the same day and when they had checked all ID I then put it all in the envelope for the UK one and posted it off (you have to send originals of Birth Certificate and your own passport to prove you are British). You can get the UK application from the British High Commission website.
http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp

For Oz passport application
https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Forms/EntryPoint.aspx

Hope this helps

Jo
Cheers everyone will pass on the info to her.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's British provided at least one parent was born or naturalised in the UK.

As others have pointed out, if parents are permanent residents then child is also automatically Australian. Where parents are not Australian, it's strongly recommended to avoid hassle later on proving the child's status by getting an Australian citizenship certificate for the child (fee AUD55):
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf
Old Dec 28th 2006, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's British provided at least one parent was born or naturalised in the UK.

As others have pointed out, if parents are permanent residents then child is also automatically Australian. Where parents are not Australian, it's strongly recommended to avoid hassle later on proving the child's status by getting an Australian citizenship certificate for the child (fee AUD55):
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf
The parents both British with permanent resident visas.

Cheers.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 4:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The parents both British with permanent resident visas.
In that case the child is Australian provided the permanent visas were granted before he or she was born. It's important to get the citizenship certificate as they will encounter people who will refuse to accept that the child is Australian without proof!

Both parents being British isn't enough in itself for an Australia born child to be British (automatically) - once again, at least one parent normally must have been born or naturalised in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 28th 2006 at 5:22 am.