Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beginning to panic

Beginning to panic

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:17 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Beginning to panic

Ok, I know us Scots are a tight fisted lot, but I think it's because up here we've got to be, crap wages, high taxes etc, (especially the council tax, but dare say that's another thread).

Anyway, I'm beginning to worry we will be ok financially in oz, not taking much capital, enough to get us through for a wee while, but anyway, I'm a nurse, hubby a printer, but people say how fantastic 250 dollars a week in rent is (in Perth where we are going), well I think it's bloody expensive, especially as we were hoping , one of us, probably hubby, won't work for 6 months in order to get the kids settled, yes and that's another issue, dare say we will be out a few bucks getting them settled, not that I mind just want to know will it be ok, will we be alright financially. :scared:

Oh yeah, couldn't resist, hope this is a relevant thing to emmigrating(referring to the injustice thread) and not a personal moan, but this is when it all gets a bit hazy, especially after a bottle of wine, silver threads can link lots of things, what the hell am I talking about.

No am serious about the financial aspect

Last edited by Margaret2; Nov 23rd 2005 at 11:23 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:11 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning to panic

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Ok, I know us Scots are a tight fisted lot, but I think it's because up here we've got to be, crap wages, high taxes etc, (especially the council tax, but dare say that's another thread).

Anyway, I'm beginning to worry we will be ok financially in oz, not taking much capital, enough to get us through for a wee while, but anyway, I'm a nurse, hubby a printer, but people say how fantastic 250 dollars a week in rent is (in Perth where we are going), well I think it's bloody expensive, especially as we were hoping , one of us, probably hubby, won't work for 6 months in order to get the kids settled, yes and that's another issue, dare say we will be out a few bucks getting them settled, not that I mind just want to know will it be ok, will we be alright financially. :scared:

Oh yeah, couldn't resist, hope this is a relevant thing to emmigrating(referring to the injustice thread) and not a personal moan, but this is when it all gets a bit hazy, especially after a bottle of wine, silver threads can link lots of things, what the hell am I talking about.

Hate to say it but we have crap wages here too and many families are officially poor. We have rates and if you want to find out how much more you can be taxed than when you were in the UK - welcome to Australia I'm afraid. I dont think realistically you can rent anything for less than $250 a week that you would willingly live in. Australia is not a cheap country to live in day to day and its about the same as the UK with the exception of housing being cheaper (in some places).

But seriously - you were hoping to half your household income and be better off than you are now ? I'm not being nasty by that, just it doesnt make much sense and you may be hoping for a little much by thinking that you can maintain a similar lifestyle that you have there and come here on half the wages.

Sorry not to be more positive - ultimately its down to the individuals and what they find acceptable in terms of income levels, standard of home etc before I get flamed
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

leezo is on a distinguished road

Hate to tell you this but feel it is my duty as a fellow Scot - we moved to Perth 2 months ago & as I wasnt prepared to live in a shite hole we now pay $550pw in rent! :scared:

In saying that we manage fine on one Sparky's wage.

Good luck in finding a cheap, decent rental - if you have a dog, forget it, that cuts the choice down even more.

Denise

Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:10 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
Hate to say it but we have crap wages here too and many families are officially poor. We have rates and if you want to find out how much more you can be taxed than when you were in the UK - welcome to Australia I'm afraid. I dont think realistically you can rent anything for less than $250 a week that you would willingly live in. Australia is not a cheap country to live in day to day and its about the same as the UK with the exception of housing being cheaper (in some places).

But seriously - you were hoping to half your household income and be better off than you are now ? I'm not being nasty by that, just it doesnt make much sense and you may be hoping for a little much by thinking that you can maintain a similar lifestyle that you have there and come here on half the wages.

Sorry not to be more positive - ultimately its down to the individuals and what they find acceptable in terms of income levels, standard of home etc before I get flamed
Hi, no hoping to live on one wage for about six months, was just wondering really, if it is possible to survive for a wee while on one wage. I know I will probably be working my butt off as a nurse in order to do this.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by leezo
Hate to tell you this but feel it is my duty as a fellow Scot - we moved to Perth 2 months ago & as I wasnt prepared to live in a shite hole we now pay $550pw in rent! :scared:

In saying that we manage fine on one Sparky's wage.

Good luck in finding a cheap, decent rental - if you have a dog, forget it, that cuts the choice down even more.

Denise
:scared: your kidding 550 dollars in rent per week, is this unfurnished.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Margaret
i know how you could afford to live in oz just give up the drink lol

Billy & Vicki
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

probably not kidding - I pay that too! Yes unfurnished but yes its also quite nice.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

'In saying that we manage fine on one Sparky's wage.'

out of interest, how did you get on with the sparky licence?

Thanks, Terry.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by billy0911
Margaret
i know how you could afford to live in oz just give up the drink lol

Billy & Vicki
If this is the only way......................then I'm not going-
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Um... which suburb are you living in and how big is your home? Did you look round it before you rented?
I have been looking at realestate.com.au around the Applecross/Booragoon area, and should be able to rent a nice 3x1, or even 3x2 around 200/300, which judging by the photos of outside and inside look really nice. That area is south of the river, but easily accessible to the CBD, not far from the coast, also extremely near to the gorgeous Swan river. Of course by renting you are free to move around, so better luck next time.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Hi, no hoping to live on one wage for about six months, was just wondering really, if it is possible to survive for a wee while on one wage. I know I will probably be working my butt off as a nurse in order to do this.

We are also planning to live on one wage for a while until we get settled. Hubby and I are both nurses, but he has more experience, so he'll be the one working until we can get ourselves sorted. I would like to do nursing, but unfortunately nursing posts don't fit with school hours and I want something that does. There is no point working on hubbys days off, as this defeats the object of us moving to Oz (to spend more time together as a family!!!)
You just have to live to your means. If you haven't got it, then you can't spend it. We're not in to material things anyway. As long as we have a roof over our heads and food on the table, it's all we need. Money doesn't buy happiness. Good luck with all your plans Margaret!
Claire.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it is unfurnished.

Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Leezo said it wasnt a problem, got the A grade licence after being here less than 2 months.

Mrs Leezo

Originally Posted by terrym
'In saying that we manage fine on one Sparky's wage.'

out of interest, how did you get on with the sparky licence?

Thanks, Terry.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Problem that you have when you get here is that most of the properties that you see advertised have just been rented before you call them to arrange a viewing. We are in Kallaroo (NOR), we are in a 4x2 with swimming pool & it was the only decent property available when we were looking & we looked for over 2 weeks! A lot of rentals will tie you to 6 months minimum. We are in a fairly nice area & can see the beach from the house, so life isnt all bad. Incidentally a lot of the properties we viewed looked nothing like they did on the internet & brochures.

Mrs Leezo

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Um... which suburb are you living in and how big is your home? Did you look round it before you rented?
I have been looking at realestate.com.au around the Applecross/Booragoon area, and should be able to rent a nice 3x1, or even 3x2 around 200/300, which judging by the photos of outside and inside look really nice. That area is south of the river, but easily accessible to the CBD, not far from the coast, also extremely near to the gorgeous Swan river. Of course by renting you are free to move around, so better luck next time.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Beginning to panic

Anyway, I'm beginning to worry we will be ok financially in oz, not taking much capital, enough to get us through for a wee while, but anyway, I'm a nurse, hubby a printer, but people say how fantastic 250 dollars a week in rent is (in Perth where we are going), well I think it's bloody expensive
You think that's expensive? Hah!

Ask yourself what you't get in the way of accommodation in the UK for the equivalent of $250 a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.