Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beggers, druggies and aggression Melbourne

Beggers, druggies and aggression Melbourne

Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Beggers, druggies and aggression Melbourne

Hey everyone, long time since my last post.

Time for a little rant, will say sorry first.

I am really over being asked for money in Melbourne, there are beggars everywhere, many are aggressive and use intimidation. I see many of them at work and know that they are collecting money for heroine, many when offered help say they are happy asking for money on the street.

Im beginning to really hate it, recently we went on holiday to Tasmania and it was great being able to walk in the street without being pestered. I have never experienced beggars this bad even when i lived in London. Its amazing how aggressive and persistant they are, even when sitting in an outside area of a coffee shop they pester you. I have seen lone women being treated the worst, one woman was trapped by one begger when he sat next to her and wouldnt let her get up until she paid him money.

Suppose what i really hate is constantly having to be on guard, and having to listen to the sad stories they start telling you.

ok rant over,

thanks for reading

Last edited by Sugo; Jan 27th 2009 at 9:26 am.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:46 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beggers, druggies and aggression Melbourne

Originally Posted by Sugo
Hey everyone, long time since my last post.

Time for a little rant, will say sorry first.

I am really over being asked for money in Melbourne, there are beggars everywhere, many are aggressive and use intimidation. I see many of them at work and know that they are collecting money for heroine, many when offered help say they are happy asking for money on the street.

Im beginning to really hate it, recently we went on holiday to Tasmania and it was great being able to walk in the street without being pestered. I have never experienced beggars this bad even when i lived in London. Its amazing how aggressive and persistant they are, even when sitting in an outside area of a coffee shop they pester you. I have seen lone women being treated the worst, one woman was trapped by one begger when he sat next to her and wouldnt let her get up until she paid him money.

Suppose what i really hate is constantly having to be on guard, and having to listen to the sad stories they start telling you.

ok rant over,

thanks for reading
I will not dispute the fact they are bad as I saw a very annoying little druggie harassing commuters in central working al the platforms with two guys following her and they where rough as guts.

However the scenario you described above sounds like false imprisonment under Victorian law next time if you can help the woman or call the police and report him.

I have noticed a few but there not really that many, every big city has this problem.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

I just thought for some balance I would say that in 6 months in Melbourne including 3 weeks in St Kilda and since then Box Hill and various trips into the city, never ever have any beggars come up to us. Not disputing what you say, just trying to balance the argument. Big issue with no hassle, but nothing more.

We came from Bristol, UK and it was far worse back there.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Inner city was pretty bad when we were down there early this month, admit I dont give to them, the welfare systems in Australia pays pretty well, its not like USA where welfare is a new pair of socks and some food stamps. The only ones I felt sorry for were 2 downs syndrome guys, one busking and one with an obvious alcohol problem, gave the busker a few bucks, kids were a bit shocked as people were laughing at him.

Besides that some of them were a joke, young blokes, fit enought to be on a building site, ciggies hanging out the mouth, but begging, give me a break One guy was outside mcdonalds and look like he ate there 3 times a day by the size of him Compared to the needy in the States it was a bit of a joke really.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 27th 2009 at 10:30 am.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:05 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Just stand ya ground and demand a tax receipt

And give them NZ coins

or malaysian ringitt
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I would just ignore do not look at them and keep going. I have never been bothered much either. I was once years ago and I just no and went on.

My Mum who was in her eighties was asked for money one day in Frankston near the station and she told him she had no money pensioner he asked her if she wanted some, he wanted to give her money. They are not all druggies either they can make a nice living pretending.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Petals
I would just ignore do not look at them and keep going. I have never been bothered much either. I was once years ago and I just no and went on.

My Mum who was in her eighties was asked for money one day in Frankston near the station and she told him she had no money pensioner he asked her if she wanted some, he wanted to give her money. They are not all druggies either they can make a nice living pretending.

From experience I would say most of them are druggies, i deal with them often through work and know their history, Its not that easy to just walk past and ignore them, often when they are desperate this can make them more aggressive, almost ended in a fight once when I didnt hear one asking for money cos i had my head phones in, he grabbed my arm, i reacted by pushing hard into a wall. Im a big guy so guess he thought better of trying it, but he was screaming and shouting at me trying to say i assaulted him.

I usually just say that i havent got any money. They do get worse when its been a slow day, like today with the heat not many people on the street.

I do live in collingwood, so thats probably why its worse here, i think the cops turn a blind eye to troublesome beggers on certain streets, it contains them to one area so easier to Police. Its like the difference between Smith street and Brunswick. Only one block away from each other but few beggers on brunswick but huge groups of them on smith st.

Ive also seen tourist hassled when taking photos of flinders station. For such a small wealthy city the social problems here are not good.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:02 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
From experience I would say most of them are druggies, i deal with them often through work
What do you work at ? PM me if you dont want it on open Forum
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Stop the press!

Big city has same problems as all big cities in the world!

-----

I used to live in Brighton, so am immne to junkie beggars cluttering up the streets. At least most of them havent learnt the trick of hangin round the ATMs...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the lovely Smith Street no wonder, although I have not been there for a long while I like Smith Street.

Next time say "do you take eftpos'
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

wildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Inner .. The only ones I felt sorry for were 2 downs syndrome guys, one busking and one with an obvious alcohol problem, gave the busker a few bucks, kids were a bit shocked as people were laughing at him.
Hi, That's very sad. You'd think they would be supported or looked after by the State Government or something?
Having said this I haven't lived in a UK city for some years, maybe the UK is no different?
wildbriz
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:31 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen scenes like that in the CBD before, but not that aggressive and not on the pandemic scale you're suggesting. That said I don't work in the city, I only visit it frequently.

I do recall similar situations in London. It was extremely noticeable to me because I used to commute weekly from Cornwall and I was assaulted pretty much day and night by beggers almost the second I got off the train (sometimes even on the train between Reading and Paddington)

I developed a sure fire way of discouraging them. The second they walk up and start their patter just roar loudly in their face. They will generally back down and sometimes run away scared. Just be careful that you don't do this to tourists asking for directions.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Not all, indeed probably not much of Melbourne has any issues like this.

I have lived here 18 months and cannot recall one incident when anyone has begged or shown aggression to me.

I live Bayside, work in St Kilda Road and visit the city during working hours several times a week.

In London it was at least a weekly event.

Buzzy
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=bigAPE;7227185]
I do recall similar situations in London. It was extremely noticeable to me because I used to commute weekly from Cornwall and I was assaulted pretty much day and night by beggers almost the second I got off the train (sometimes even on the train between Reading and Paddington)

So what does your experience of agressive beggars and druggies in London got to do with the OP's experience in Melbourne? I could recount my own experience of agressive begging that I have witnessed in other western cities, eg Toronto or Vancouver, but wouldn't see how it would be relevant to the thread.

Thought yet another thread was going down the inevitable UK v OZ comparison, but no must be paranoid as that would never happen on the Barbie.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beggers, druggies and aggression Melbourne

[QUOTE=meols12;7227307]
Originally Posted by bigAPE
So what does your experience of agressive beggars and druggies in London got to do with the OP's experience in Melbourne?
errr the OP mentioned a comparison with London.......

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.