British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Before you leave the UK, get your teeth fixed... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/before-you-leave-uk-get-your-teeth-fixed-327198/)

TheRossers Sep 21st 2005 12:49 pm

Before you leave the UK, get your teeth fixed...

Not such a good day today.

The Rosser family went to register with a dentist today (we always used to go every 6 months in the UK). We are now $300.00 lighter!!

I haven't had anything done on my teeth since I went in the Army 25 years ago. Today I needed a patch filling on an old filling. He did want to take the old filling out and re do it but I said I wasn't working and didn't know what it would cost so told him to patch it up for the time being (he neglected to tell me how much it was). He also suggested I see the hygienist. Mrs R was next. She needs a couple of fillings and a trip to the hygienist too, we'll arrange them for another day he says.

Little Miss R next. No work needed really, Did a little clean with the super toothbrush on one of her front teeth and did a little demonstration on how she should be brushing her teeth and gave her a nice purple toothbrush.

We go outside to arrange the next appointments. How much will the hygienist be I ask, $160.00 but that's for a full hour (50 minutes for the first session and 10 minutes a week later), the receptionist says with a smile. How much for the fillings for Mrs R we ask, oh that will be anywhere from $150 to $400, each!!!

The check up was $52 for the adults, we were told that little Miss R would be $35 but when I read the invoice later found hers was $52 as well. Also that clean and the nice purple toothbrush cost us $53.00. My patch filling was $90.

Needless to say the hygienists appointments will be cancelled tomorrow (I don't need to pay that much money to be told how to brush my teeth when I've been doing alright up until now) and Mrs R is contemplating cancelling the fillings for the time being until we are both working full time.

So my advice, once you have been granted your visa, get your teeth fixed before you leave Old Blighty.

glittababe Sep 21st 2005 12:57 pm

Re: Before you leave the UK, get your teeth fixed...

Originally Posted by TheRossers

The Rosser family went to register with a dentist today (we always used to go every 6 months in the UK). We are now $300.00 lighter!!

I haven't had anything done on my teeth since I went in the Army 25 years ago. Today I needed a patch filling on an old filling. He did want to take the old filling out and re do it but I said I wasn't working and didn't know what it would cost so told him to patch it up for the time being (he neglected to tell me how much it was). He also suggested I see the hygienist. Mrs R was next. She needs a couple of fillings and a trip to the hygienist too, we'll arrange them for another day he says.

Little Miss R next. No work needed really, Did a little clean with the super toothbrush on one of her front teeth and did a little demonstration on how she should be brushing her teeth and gave her a nice purple toothbrush.

We go outside to arrange the next appointments. How much will the hygienist be I ask, $160.00 but that's for a full hour (50 minutes for the first session and 10 minutes a week later), the receptionist says with a smile. How much for the fillings for Mrs R we ask, oh that will be anywhere from $150 to $400, each!!!

The check up was $52 for the adults, we were told that little Miss R would be $35 but when I read the invoice later found hers was $52 as well. Also that clean and the nice purple toothbrush cost us $53.00. My patch filling was $90.

Needless to say the hygienists appointments will be cancelled tomorrow (I don't need to pay that much money to be told how to brush my teeth when I've been doing alright up until now) and Mrs R is contemplating cancelling the fillings for the time being until we are both working full time.

So my advice, once you have been granted your visa, get your teeth fixed before you leave Old Blighty.

Fab advice. When we got back we immediately registered with dentist and have since had full check ups for the kids, plus husband had a crown and filling done with x rays for the sum £110. Not bad hey? We were really chuffed!

chaval Sep 21st 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks for advice ....I had to go and see a private dentisit last week ..anyway he started quoting over 500 quid (ok it was private but it was an emergency)...Needless to say i got the quick fix done and now its only cost me 150 with an NHS dentist.

BTW have you had a scoop in the Amble Inn yet ?

ozzieeagle Sep 21st 2005 1:13 pm

Dental procedure prices are beyond belief here sometimes.

Best rip off I've heard so far, is someone having a filling done, just had an image taken, and whilst sitting in the chair, with the camera in their mouth, asked if they want to "see the tooth on the screen" they nod yes. Yehp you guessed it, they got charged 17 bucks to look at a piccy of their tooth on the screen.

I think we maybe trying to outdo the yanks in this area.

cranni Sep 21st 2005 1:14 pm

well thats ok if you can get in a dentist where you live.
where we lived you could not get in unless you was private.
Here my kids went to school dentist, absolutely brilliant, they had lots of work done and are not afraid to go again. NO CHARGE
i have had work done lately, quite a lot, plus bleaching as well you know like the hollywood stars, my dentist is lovely and i didnt even fell the needle. i am not afraid to go now, i was in Uk. cost me 600 dollars altogether and i got 200 back off health ins. worth every penny.

A dogs life Sep 21st 2005 1:14 pm

I don't understand the problem :confused: ? You were charged $300 for getting all your families teeth done by a dentist?

And you can claim some of that back on medicare.

Seriously what point are you making? That the dentists in Oz aren't as good or that they are too expensive?

ADL

TheRossers Sep 21st 2005 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I don't understand the problem :confused: ? You were charged $300 for getting all your families teeth done by a dentist?

And you can claim some of that back on medicare.

Seriously what point are you making? That the dentists in Oz aren't as good or that they are too expensive?

ADL

As far as I'm aware you can't claim it back on Medicare, but I've kept the reciept if somebody can prove me wrong. The dentist was fine, it just seems bloody expensive to me, especially when you don't have a job yet!

nightnurse2 Sep 21st 2005 1:41 pm

I've just looked up how much we have paid out on dentist bills since we arrived in April and it's ...... wait for it.........

$2836!!!!!!!!

And that is only for me and hubby!!!

Saying that, a lot of the work done is to repair the damage that was done by our NHS dentist! I had my teeth cleaned here and it took nearly an hour, in the Uk I was lucky to be there for 5 minutes (mind you we paid for it!) Must say though my teeth look good for the first time, mind you, for that amount of money I should have them gold plated!

Hubby has a quote for new crowns for $4390... needless to say we will wait awhile!

Tracey

England Girl Sep 21st 2005 1:55 pm

Just thought I'd cross the ditch from the NZ forum and saw this.

I would say the opposite from personal experience.

I lived in NZ for two years and during that time I got an abcess below a tooth which was in need of a root canal procedure or removal. I was in quite a lot of pain but because I was coming back to the UK a couple of weeks later on hols I decided to patch it up and get it sorted back in Blighty (still on NHS books at that point, felt comfortable seeing a dentist I knew etc).
So I got an appointment to get tooth removed (due to a nightmare root canal experience a few years before, which had obviously not worked as it was the same tooth and I stupidly went back to the same dentist).
Anyhow, he took the tooth out, said it was all gone etc.
Went back to NZ.
10 weeks later toothache again. Abcess had not gone away as cause of infection was still there. X-rays at dentist showed part of root still there.
After an hour's consultation (dentist said I'd paid for one x-ray I may as well get the rest of my teeth done as it was the same price) I was booked in for after-hours surgery the next day.
I was there for at least 45 mins with two dentists (one Scot, one American) and after much coaxing, lots of jabs to numb me and lots of draining of the abcess (to help jabs work) they pulled out the root.
The whole procedure (two appointments) cost me NZ$300.

Even though it costs a lot of money there is no way I will go back to an NHS dentist.
I would rather pay knowing I will get good and honest treatment. I was informed before I went in how much it would be for what and they felt so sorry for me having to go through the pain again that they knocked $100 off my second appointment.

Back in UK now, still not been to see dentist (didn't even get as much as an apology from the rogue NHS dentist despite making an official complaint) and will not until I move back to NZ.

PS My old workmate paid NZ$5000 for her defining feature - her smile. Her teeth are perfect and well worth the money I reckon.

cranni Sep 21st 2005 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by England Girl
Just thought I'd cross the ditch from the NZ forum and saw this.

I would say the opposite from personal experience.

I lived in NZ for two years and during that time I got an abcess below a tooth which was in need of a root canal procedure or removal. I was in quite a lot of pain but because I was coming back to the UK a couple of weeks later on hols I decided to patch it up and get it sorted back in Blighty (still on NHS books at that point, felt comfortable seeing a dentist I knew etc).
So I got an appointment to get tooth removed (due to a nightmare root canal experience a few years before, which had obviously not worked as it was the same tooth and I stupidly went back to the same dentist).
Anyhow, he took the tooth out, said it was all gone etc.
Went back to NZ.
10 weeks later toothache again. Abcess had not gone away as cause of infection was still there. X-rays at dentist showed part of root still there.
After an hour's consultation (dentist said I'd paid for one x-ray I may as well get the rest of my teeth done as it was the same price) I was booked in for after-hours surgery the next day.
I was there for at least 45 mins with two dentists (one Scot, one American) and after much coaxing, lots of jabs to numb me and lots of draining of the abcess (to help jabs work) they pulled out the root.
The whole procedure (two appointments) cost me NZ$300.

Even though it costs a lot of money there is no way I will go back to an NHS dentist.
I would rather pay knowing I will get good and honest treatment. I was informed before I went in how much it would be for what and they felt so sorry for me having to go through the pain again that they knocked $100 off my second appointment.

Back in UK now, still not been to see dentist (didn't even get as much as an apology from the rogue NHS dentist despite making an official complaint) and will not until I move back to NZ.

PS My old workmate paid NZ$5000 for her defining feature - her smile. Her teeth are perfect and well worth the money I reckon.

I agree with everything you say.
I paid private in Uk, i suffered a week day and night with excruciating toothache, i had to wait a week and i paid monthly 12 pou nd a month, then it cost me 80 pound to have it out. The tooth i had out i had suffered with for 2 years, but the dentist said i had sensitive teeth, after an xray he found their was a crack in my tooth, and i had suffered for 2 bloody years. I am well pleased with the 400 dollars it has cost me, deep cleaning, xrays, wisdom tooth out, then my bleach , i feel so confident now when i smile.Denise

OzTennis Sep 21st 2005 2:09 pm

In our region (Dumfries & Galloway) there are 40,000 people on the books of dentists as NHS patients and 80,000 who are not on the lists. Many of the dentists who currently do NHS work are going private. So, yes, get your teeth fixed in the UK before you go, if you can find a dentist. If you have been removed from a list there is a 2 year waiting list to get back on for some dentists. Dundee Dental College was offering students who were accepted for their course £2K to defer because they don't have the funding for the 1st year intake and Edinburgh Uni closed their dental school. Welcome to NHS UK!

OzTennis :)

OzTennis Sep 21st 2005 2:23 pm

A lady down the road from us recently went into the local infirmary (hospital) for an epidural. Her doctor was flown from Germany for the weekend to work in the infirmary but said he wasn't allowed to carry out this procedure so she was sent home and is waiting for a new appointment!

OzTennis :)

mand8002 Sep 21st 2005 9:38 pm

When we arrived I was dreading the dentist costs. Anyway I broke a tooth in half so had to go and I was amazed at how good the treatment was. He just rebuilt my tooth with a white filling so it looks like a tooth (and it was the whole back part of my tooth). This came to $125 which is what I would have paid in UK and as we have medibank extras cover I only paid $75. The care was so much better, he wasn't rushing, the dental nurse stayed with me whilst my mouth was numbing. I certainly can't complain

lucyb Sep 21st 2005 9:44 pm

I am actually waiting until I get to Adelaide to see a dentist. I refuse to pay my dentist any money when he is the one who gave me bodge-job fillings when I was maternity exempt. (Obviously he does a sub stanadrd job on those who dont pay his full whack!). I have one filling at the back which feels all jagged. It's awful and so is my dentist!

jad n rich Sep 21st 2005 9:47 pm

Nope you cant claim dental on medicare think there are one or two exceptions basically if the dental work is done as an operation. You can claim back on your tax 20% of the amount over $1500 of uncliamable medical receipts so for $2000 spent you can get a $100 tax refund.

Look at private health cover, ours is $2200 and with 3 kids we consistently claim most of the premium back each year just on teeth and glasses.