Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Before I get my hopes up...

Before I get my hopes up...

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

eeeyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Before I get my hopes up...

Hey. I am from Northern Ireland and currently in training to become a dental nurse and after I am qualified I'd like to live and work in australia. I understand that a dental nurse is not on the skilled occupation list and it is therefore very very highly unlikely, if never, that you can get employer nomination for a visa. Is a work/travel visa really the only option? I would like to go for the longest time possible.

Someone who has just moved home after 2 years in Oz has told me that she can't go back because she has already had 1 extended work/travel visa. Is this true?!

I dont like the idea of going to Australia only once!! If I went, loved it and came home, I would love the option of being able to go live there permently..

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed some light!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before I get my hopes up...

Originally Posted by eeeyo
Hey. I am from Northern Ireland and currently in training to become a dental nurse and after I am qualified I'd like to live and work in australia. I understand that a dental nurse is not on the skilled occupation list and it is therefore very very highly unlikely, if never, that you can get employer nomination for a visa. Is a work/travel visa really the only option? I would like to go for the longest time possible.

Someone who has just moved home after 2 years in Oz has told me that she can't go back because she has already had 1 extended work/travel visa. Is this true?!

I dont like the idea of going to Australia only once!! If I went, loved it and came home, I would love the option of being able to go live there permently..

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed some light!
Unfortunately not everyone qualifies for a visa. If you are serious about wanting to move here permanently you could switch majors to nursing instead of dental nurse. Nurses are almost always in demand in Australia and most everywhere else in the world.

Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for what visa you might qualify for and what the restrictions are.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:58 am
Just Joined

eeeyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Before I get my hopes up...

Thanks for your help dorothy. Sadly it isn't an option to switch to nursing. But I can continue studying to become a dental technican or hygenist which is on the SOL. Lol this would of course be to benefit my career, not just for an easy ticket to australia

I have visited the immi.gov.au site many times before, though find it all a bit confusing at times. It would be much easier to sit and talk to someone face to face about it all.

Thanks again!! x