Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BE'ers V's non BE'ers......who fares best?

BE'ers V's non BE'ers......who fares best?

Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default BE'ers V's non BE'ers......who fares best?

Was just quietly wondering to one's self (as you do).....

I noticed that some people on here manage to notch up posts well into the 1000's BEFORE they even step foot on Oz soil...

My question is: Do these people REALLY arrive better educated and prepared than those who know nowt about BE???

Waddya all think?

Am I just being daft, should I keep my thoughts to myself in future?

Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE'ers V's non BE'ers......who fares best?

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

I noticed that some people on here manage to notch up posts well into the 1000's BEFORE they even step foot on Oz soil...

My question is: Do these people REALLY arrive better educated and prepared than those who know nowt about BE???

Waddya all think?

Nah - they just need to get out more
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:37 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Nah - they just need to get out more

nice

my post count has notched up cos i used to chat a lot in the lounge, which can bump your post count up a couple of hundred in the space of a few hours.

plus we have been in the ''just about to start the visa process'' for a couple of years now....but life, family and circumstances have caused major setbacks and so delayed it. I dont need to get out more (well, ok I do, but can never find babysitters for 4 years twin boys - you offering?)
I wont be any better prepared than the next person, but i hope i have helped others a fair bit through sharing what i have found out, and enjoyed some friendly banter along the way as well as made some good friends.

Sue
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:57 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Waddya all think?

This place is a fantastic oracle of information. I personally have found this site to be extremely informative and the posters here are really helpful if you need anything answered.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully someone who has arrived will let us know their side of things.

I would like to think that because of this site I am a little better prepared for what I am about to do.

Interesting thread.

Vics xx
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:27 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok hands up! I admit it! I am one of the BE Members with 1000's of posts to my name!

I really have too much tme on my hands but I have made some fantastic friends on here - many of which I KNOW will be some of my bestest friends for the rest of my life....... DD, Rooksie, Scissors, gsb, Steve Timber Floor, Merlot, jim2004.... any many many more!

I don't know about faring better when we get there but hell.... I bloody hope we can just get there!

Last edited by Jonahs_mummy; Nov 9th 2005 at 6:29 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Waddya all think?

Are you calling me uneducated I have an Aussie husband and living in Lodnon I whole heap of Aussie friends so it's not quite a mystery. Will let you know in a few weeks how prepared I am when we touch down
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Waddya all think?

good question.......yes I think you will be a bit better prepared but only a bit.......there is some good stuff on here and a lot of crap....you got to weed the good stuff out
Nothing will prepare you for the homesickness if you or the better 1/2 get it.....some get it some don't....the ones that seem to get it worst are the ones with a strong family bond at home........I didn't get it until being an expat for about 12-15 yrs but it gets worse for me as time goes on.......I belive wherever you live there are good and bad points about it.........but when all is said and done it's not really about where you are but WHO you are with that will decide your happiness....good luck
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:50 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

I think most people (sam and me included) used this site a lot in the build up to moving to Oz to make ourselves feel closer to being in Oz. I know I used it when I was bored at work with nothing to do because no one was giving me any jobs as they knew I was leaving.

I know use the site first thing in the morning primarily before work when I log on to check emails from friends and family.

R
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:24 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

I have found this site very useful in lots of respects i may not be inthe league of a thousand posts but doesn't mean i haven't learnt alot form the site it just means i like to play peeping tom and sit and observe the more i sit and watch the more i am coming out of myself alot of the time i sit and think i would love tell someone what is happening here but then i think nah no-one is interested in what is happening to me so don't bother. The one thing i have found useful is the meets as they allow me to have contatcs before i even reach oz as all my family and friends will be here although i know i will need to make friends with everyone it is nice to know that i can eme tup with people whi have experienced the same things as i have or know what i am going through and can point me in the right direction for help. So in some ways it does make you better prepared but in others it is just a nice way to make some good friends.

Poshrice
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

ok hands up im one of the 1000 posters,alot of which were aquired bantering in the lounge when we were waiting for our visas
i really dont think we would be here at all if it wasnt for BE,i made so many good friends in the process of emmigration what with chatting on the forum and arranging and going to so many meets that i didnt feel like we were going it alone at all,indeed i think if i had of felt that, i would have got cold feet and stayed there thank god (or BE that i didnt)
O f course you can find out all the info you need as well but sharing thought and sharing the good times and the bad with others going through the same things helps immensely.
Since arriving here 3 months ago i havent forgot the forum like so many seem to,even though alot of my friends are already here now and we still get together alot and im sure will be life long friends,but we stil have some of our friends still coming over and i think all the newbies who joined maybe after we d finished the process need help as we did when we first started and of course they are potential friends to.
All i can say for those of you still in the process is it ll definately be worth it in the end,and you wont be on your own when you get here,that is if you make yourslef known and dont just keep in the shadows as i know some do make the most of the place and get the most out of it.

luv ya claire

tracey
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:56 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors

luv ya claire

tracey
I love you too Tracey!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I don't know if it can make you better prepared for actually living in Oz - you can't really prepare yourself for moving halfway round the world because you don't know how you'll react when you get there.
But it definitely makes you better prepared for getting to Oz.
I've received so much great info and advice from this site - have now got an agent on board (through recommendations on here) and we are just beginning the long process.
It's really useful to know how long the process takes, the kinds of ups and downs you're likely to have, the waiting times for each part etc - all info that is freely available on here.
It's also very motivating - reading about people struggling through the process and then finally hearing they've got their visas. It's great to share that moment with them and think that, one day, this will be me!
But I guess moving to another country is a bit like starting a new job - you can doo all the preparation in the world and all the reading you want but nothing can quite prepare you for what you will encounter
(Though at least you can find out what biscuits you will/won't be able to buy in Oz )
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Those with thousands of posts are very sad basaards with no life.
You should feel sorry for them.
They should be outside enjoying Aus and all it's wonders.

Oh, but it's dark in the evenings isn't it ?
That limits what one can do then.
Shall have to watch tv or a film then.
Nah, don't like tv so might as well go on BE.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

thats more or less the size of it
Originally Posted by Bix
Those with thousands of posts are very sad basaards with no life.
You should feel sorry for them.
They should be outside enjoying Aus and all it's wonders.

Oh, but it's dark in the evenings isn't it ?
That limits what one can do then.
Shall have to watch tv or a film then.
Nah, don't like tv so might as well go on BE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.