Beer - NZ

Old Jul 9th 2003, 7:00 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beer - NZ

Can you get real beer in NZ, stuff like Fullers ESB, London Pride etc that is 5% and over?
If not what is the best I can hope for?

Andy
Old Jul 9th 2003, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point

In a word.......yes:

http://www.realbeer.co.nz/library/au...freshales.html

Plus.....they make some really nice beers here as well.

Unfortunately, Budweiser is really hard to find down here on the South Island.....just joking of course.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:29 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

Originally posted by chris@insurance
In a word.......yes:

http://www.realbeer.co.nz/library/au...freshales.html

Plus.....they make some really nice beers here as well.

Unfortunately, Budweiser is really hard to find down here on the South Island.....just joking of course.

Thanks for the link, do you know if you can buy these in Christchurch?

Andy
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sandypandy
Thanks for the link, do you know if you can buy these in Christchurch?

Andy
I'm in Christchurch myself.......I THINK I recall seeing shelf labels and empty bins for them....but that was the night the All Blacks lost to you Poms(Bastards!) a whiles back. There wasn't much of anything left on the premium beers shelves.......I only managed to get the last two cans of Kilkennys myself.....terrible night all around.

Since it is imported, I'm sure some industrious bottle shop owner or publican will carry it or order it for you.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 10:08 am
NZ In Jan (Please!)

Where abouts are you in Christchurch Chris? Have you been there long and do you love it/loathe it?
We are hoping to come out after Xmas, depending on job offer - and want to come to Christchurch so any feedback you can give would be great.

Sorry about the Rugby, but it does make a change for us to win something!!

Sandra (Andy's better half!)

Old Jul 10th 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

My girlfriend Jodi and I absolutely love it.

We moved down from the US in 2001 and haven't regretted it for a second.

Being New Zealand's second biggest city Christchurch has a "town-like" feel to it. I feel it has all of the amenities I personally want in a city without the inherent outsized city problems.

When we first arrived we rented a flat downtown which was really convenient as I have a business right in town, and Jodi was unable to work at the time and wasn't quite up for driving on the "wrong" side of the road at that stage.

We've since moved out along the beach at New Brighton, about 10k out of town. It's a bit of a run down neighborhood that is quickly being developed and refurbished for the better. Surprisingly, the beachfront or near beachfront real estate was about the cheapest in the area, until this past year....I think people have finally caught on to what they've had all along!

We made a friend or two on the first visit here who were able to really help us get acclimated. We'd like to return the favour by helping people who are making the same choice we did.

Jodi and I would be happy to answer any questions or help in any way we can.

Feel free to contact us directly!

Cheers,

Chris
Old Jul 10th 2003, 11:38 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer - NZ

Chris,

Saw your other post about your postal services costing a pint, which raised a question in my mind. I thought it best to raise it on this thread though.

I have been out of NZ for 10 years and am returning soon for good. It used to be you would order either a jug or a 12 (being a 12oz) from a pub. Mainly you would get a jug and a 7oz glass to pour it into and drink from. If you wanted something less then a 12 was ordered, which came in a glass much the same shape as the British pint.

I think on rare occasions you could get a handle or a half handle, which would be a very chunky 'stein' like glass.

Have visited NZ recently and it has all changed. Didn't see any jugs, lots of trendy bars rather than traditional public houses.
You appear now to be more likely to buy a bottle (330ml) directly from the chiller, or a Australian style schooner from the tap (the glass where the curve is concave? - rather than convex like the British pint glass). Not sure what size these schooners are, maybe 12oz still.

Can you clarify the above for me and for any other beer loving immigrants?

Also what are the beers to avoid nowadays. Are Rheineck or Kiwi Lager still around, I hope not?

Thanks

Southerner

ps I am from Dunedin, so my favourites used to be Speights, Otago Ale (before they were bought out) and anything Macs. Am looking forward to trying some of the newer ones out.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 12:36 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

Chris

You are a star, we need more like you.

Thanks for your views on Christchurch, I will PM you with other questions if that is OK.

Fingers crossed we will be there soon to see for ourselves

Sandra
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Beer - NZ

Hi Southerner,

As far as the beer situation goes, here's my opinion:

When I'm out for a drop or three I've found 12 ounce glasses, handles, and jugs(served with about a 7oz glass to be the norm in the "working man's" type of pub)

The places catering to younger crowds and the "flash" joints seem more likely to carry the tall "schooner" glasses if beer is on tap.....

As far as the beer goes, Speights is still the South Island religion(and apparantly quite popular with North Island urban types)..although I'm more of a Montieth's man myself, excellent variety...and having been properly brainwashed as a new Crusander fan I've been drinking Canterbury Draught...

I made the mistake of voicing my dislike for Speights......you would have thought I cancelled Christmas....I had to buy a round to get back in the good graces.

Funny story about Montieth's a while back...they were going to shut down the brewery in Greymouth and move production to the North Island.....nearly a riot, front page news for a couple of days, so needless to say.....it's still being made in Greymouth!

As far as the rest...Mac's is on tap in many places, but I haven't noticed any Otago Ale, Rheineck or Kiwi Lager.

In the end though, it's ALL better than Budweiser!

Cheers
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sandra,

Feel free to PM or email.

We wish you lots of luck!

Cheers