Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beer Cheaper Than Coffee In Perth

Beer Cheaper Than Coffee In Perth

Old Mar 8th 2018, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beer Cheaper Than Coffee In Perth

Yep a boozer in Perth's inner burbs is selling pints for $3.50, which is cheaper than Perth's over priced coffee.

The Village started the 'beer wars' back in January. They kicked it off with $4 pints. The latest The Vic , just down the road, in inner city, up market Subiaco, has seen customer numbers swell accordingly.

Further across town in Midland The Grand Central Hotel, has started selling pints at $3.80. Lets hope the start to recorrecting ridiculous pricing in going out in Perth. It will revive the economy if follows across the board and who knows Perth people may even wise up to live outside the confines of home, in greater numbers.

The government of course has put a dampener on proceedings with warnings on health and duty of care.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 1:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer Cheaper Than Coffee In Perth

We went to the pub last weekend. $12 for a pint of cider and $11 for beer meant a short night out. For the same $46 we can go to Dan Murphy and buy a carton of 24 beers. No Uber home required.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We went to the pub last weekend. $12 for a pint of cider and $11 for beer meant a short night out. For the same $46 we can go to Dan Murphy and buy a carton of 24 beers. No Uber home required.
Often pay the same ridiculous prices. I think the most was $13,50 a few year ago in a City pub which needed add never returned again. During the 'boom' of course they could get away with over charging as the money flowed with too many people with more money than sense.

Still nothing in the Leederville area anyway like those Subi prices. But paid $9 for a Rodgers here the other night which wasn't 'too bad' compared to [prices a few years back anyhow.

Subiaco isn't far from me, but not a area I venture much as not really a fan of it so low prices there won't probably benefit me.

It does suggest something about the market or lack of market when such price shifts occur.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow times have changed, we use to trip to our "local" in Perth every now and again at "sundown" time and we stopped going as in 2010 it cost $9 at pint for my OH I am not really a drinker but I did enjoy a glass of wine which was also expensive, I think that was why a lot of people we knew use to buy their alcohol from the "bottle shops" and drink at home rather than "go out", we preferred to treat ourselves now and again and "go out" to different venues. I do know a pint in a certain pub back in 2010 was $12...my OH phoned me to tell me he was just picking himself up from the floor...not through drink (we are not that rich lol) but through shock lol
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It does kill of the pub scene. High cost being a very important factor, but not forgetting drink driving laws either playing a part.
$12 was pretty much average around my neck of the woods or close to it. Hence was rather pleased to get a $9 pint of Rodgers the other night in Leederville.

I do recall the same pub, about four years ago removed pint glasses on St Patricks Day and sold smaller sized glasses for much the same price. A blatant rip off was the place was packed out on the day.

Drinking at home remains the big thing or BYO's still popular. Was at one last night actually.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me, or shouldn't beer be cheaper than coffee?

Beer is ridiculously easy to brew, whereas coffee requires specific growing situations.

Maybe tax shouldn't get this far out of wack?
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Margaret River for the weekend with some girlfriends. Bottle of bubbles $11 for Wolf Blass at BWS. Same bubbles $9 per glass at the pub.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats expensive as it is made in Australia, you can buy a bottle of Wolf Bass (various) at Tesco for £6.00 (my SIL drinks that brand)
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I find Country WA rather expensive in the main. No wonder our neighbouring destinations are so attractive and how lucky are we to have the option of 'exotic' locations on our door step, not only providing cheaper options but very differing experience to boot.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!

The coffee thing is just ridiculous. I bought a plunger and a grinder a few years ago because I got tired of paying $5 a pop. Works a charm on the road too, because you can just put the ground-up coffee in a ziploc bag and ask the roadhouse for a cup of hot water which they will usually give you for free.

I am not much of a drinker but when I do I never buy alcohol at a restaurant or a pub. Absolutely lethal for your bill. I buy wine direct from the wineries and just have it at home or in the hotel. Increasingly country businesses are producing hard liquors and exotic alcohols, I think there are even a few places now producing absinthe in WA.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually rather a tale how coffee took off in the Australian landscape to become so much the 'norm'. I vividly recall being in Perth with a Swiss friend in the eighties, attempting, more for him , to rustle up an early morning coffee that didn't come out of a jar. Took a bit of searching but finally found a Continental milk bar/café that knew what we referred to and the 'patron' was able to produce an almost drinkable short black.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:16 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

living in Perth is like youre dead and yet you still pay taxes
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by this charming man
living in Perth is like youre dead and yet you still pay taxes
LOL. Although some of the living zombies that inhabit this city, can make the taxes appear almost preferable.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:07 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

when i moved to Perth a fellow work colleague said
perth is like a cemetery with street lights
Old Mar 13th 2018, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by this charming man
when i moved to Perth a fellow work colleague said
perth is like a cemetery with street lights

Are you saying someone you knew went out after dark? In Perth? Things were obviously of a racy nature during your time here. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.