Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beer Can Chicken

Beer Can Chicken

Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beer Can Chicken

Anyone watching Burkes Backyard tonite and fancied trying the 'BeerCan Chicken' recipe.

If so, let me know how it goes. Its the first recipe I've ever seen that made me laugh out loud, but you never know, it ,might actually work! Remember to open the Beer can first

Beer Can Chicken

Cheers,
JTL
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beer Can Chicken

Not the kind of BBQ you invite people around to. Cerrtainly caught my eye though (had a good laugh too)

Anyone done this yet?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

ive seen it done several times on Aussie TV...apparently its delicious!!...i keep meaning to give it a try..might do it over hte weekend, i'll let you know.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point

Just don't forget point 3 and let us all know.

Here's the American version:

Beer Can Chicken

1 med whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
2½ tbls Memphis Rub (recipe follows)
1 can (12 ounces) beer at room temperature

Rinse chicken inside and out, drain and pat dry.

Sprinkle 1 tbls of the rub inside the neck and body cavity, then rub another 1 tbls all over the skin of the bird.

Pop the tab on the beer can. Using a “church key� –style can opener, make a number of holes in the top of the can. Drink or pour out the top inch of beer, then spoon the remaining dry rub through the holes into the beer.

Holding the chicken upright, push the chicken down onto the beer can so that the can goes into the cavity.

Stand the “stuffed� chicken on a roasting pan. The bottom of the beer can and the two legs form a triangular support (tripod). If the chicken is too big and the beer can unstable, buttress the legs with skewers. No trussing or further basting is necessary.

To roast in the oven:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roast about 2 hours until the skin is crisp and the juices run clear when the bird is poked with the tip of a knife. Allow the finished bird to rest before carving.

To cook on the grill:
Set up the grill for indirect grilling, placing a drip pan in the center.
• If using a charcoal grill preheat it to medium.
• If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box and preheat the grill to high, then, when smoke appears, lower the heat to medium.

When ready to cook, if using charcoal, toss half the wood chips on the coals. Oil the grill grate. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan. Spread out the legs to form a sort of tripod, to support the bird.

Cover the grill and cook the chicken until fall-off-the-bone tender, about 2 hours. If using charcoal, add 10 to 12 coals per side and the remaining wood chips after 1 hour.

It is helpful at this point to enlist a second pair of hands. Using tongs lift the bird to a cutting board or platter, holding a large metal spatula underneath the beer can for support.

Have the board or platter right next to the bird to make the move shorter. (Be careful not to spill hot beer on yourself.) Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.

It’s easier and safer to pull the beer can out of the bird and toss the beer can into the sink, but for show and drama, you can carve the meat off the upright carcass. Serves 4 to 6.

Memphis Rub

2 tbls paprika (Spanish pimenton is excellent)
1½ tsp dark brown sugar
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp celery salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder

Combine all ingredients in a small jar; twist the lid on airtight and shake to mix. May be stored away from heat and light for up to 6 months. Makes about ¼ cup, enough for 2 racks of ribs or 2 chickens.