Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been to uk and have come back

Wikiposts

been to uk and have come back

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:27 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: been to uk and have come back

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Ceri
Half the problem with London is the amount of foreigners living there. I am from London , It is unfriendly, But no more unfriendly than any other City of similar size and culture mix. New York, Washington, Paris, Rome, peckham to name but a few.

If you want to meet true London People you need to come away from the tourist areas. Most true Londoners could not afford to live in Central London.

I have found that if you go to the smaller citys in the UK, they are always friendly, Nightlife is always better than in London, and costs so much cheaper.

Cheers.

I got nothing against foreigners either... or I'd have to dislike myself.. think about it

cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
What is the war over??? lol
Bloody hell Ceri have you got an uzi and a balaclava. An independant Wales. Weh heh we are rid of you all. Hopefully a new visa regime will come into force for economic migrants from Wales. A 20 foot fence from Bristol to the Irish sea as well would help keep em out. Every mile a guard post manned with gunmen.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:17 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
Bloody hell Ceri have you got an uzi and a balaclava. An independant Wales. Weh heh we are rid of you all. Hopefully a new visa regime will come into force for economic migrants from Wales. A 20 foot fence from Bristol to the Irish sea as well would help keep em out. Every mile a guard post manned with gunmen.
lol
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Reading this thread makes me realise why (as originally a Scottish) I feel more at home and accepted in Oz and I'm glad I emigrated here and now consider myself a proud Australian.

When I lived ( briefly)in London I always felt that especially the Southern English thought they were superior and looked down on my homeland and my accent ( despite being well educated and reasonably articulate).I know very few English who have even been to Scotland.(I am generalising however and I have some very good English friends).

When I arrived in Oz I realised I had not imagined it. I always get asked which town I was from and I am amazed how many have been to Scotland and say how beautiful it is.They often comment how unfriendly and arrogant the English are ( especially the Southerners).

I often feel that many "Poms" regard Australia as "their colony" and are disappointed it is not a warmer more spacious version of England where they will be welcomed as "owners" and put on a pedestal. It is a totally different country with a different culture which you have to adapt to to fit in.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

LMAO...ahem...oh dear..

Well, i must be the exception to the rule Mary. I am Londoner, was married to a scotsman for 14yrs, and i keep getting told off for being positive about Australia...!!!!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:01 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
That is what makes London so good. London attracts the best from around the world. No such thing as a real Londoner. Do you want a jellied eeled eating cockney geezer? The world has moved on. I am not sure that smaller means friendlier cities. Have you ever been to Manchester?

Yes I have. Going there on Thursday. And been to Liverpool. Newcastle and Just about every other British City and Town.
Personaly I don't say the word geezer but some people do.
Do like pie and mash though.

The thing with London and every other major city is the fact that they are unfriendly places. I know I live and work in and around the place.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:03 pm
Badge

QOUTE The thing with London and every other major city is the fact that they are unfriendly places. I know I live and work in and around the place. QUOTE

It is fair to say that alot of us "southerners" could "improve" our quality of lives by moving to the north of England etc but for me they are not "Australian" enough.

Also I find Australian cities are probably amongst the friendliest in the world. Big enough to be a city, but not London New York etc. Sydney has huge geographical area, (suburbs) but to me it still seems small in the centre, unlike London.

badge

Old Oct 4th 2003, 5:22 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

sad how so many people from different parts of the UK are happy to stick the boot in on London whilst at the same time enjoying the financial benefits the capital helps subsidise. the scots and particularly the welsh should be kissing the "arrogant" southerners arses rather than moaning.

london and south east are by far the largest contributor to other poorer regions in the uk. sydney / melbourne have the same issues in oz.

incomes and house prices may be higher generally in london but cost of living is also much higher. most londoners accept their lot and know despite petty small mindedness from certain less fortunate soles they have the last laugh for living in one of the greatest cities on earth but that still does'nt fully compensate for having to also pay for mickey mouse welsh assemblies and scottish parliaments. it would'nt be so bad if we had kicked out all their politicians at the same time but we are still carrying the dead weight of 70 odd scots and countless welsh etc in a parliament that has devolved decisions to their local equivalents.

the sooner the union is disolved the better in my opinion. england and particularly london and the se would be so much better off.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dugongs
sad how so many people from different parts of the UK are happy to stick the boot in on London whilst at the same time enjoying the financial benefits the capital helps subsidise. the scots and particularly the welsh should be kissing the "arrogant" southerners arses rather than moaning.

london and south east are by far the largest contributor to other poorer regions in the uk. sydney / melbourne have the same issues in oz.

incomes and house prices may be higher generally in london but cost of living is also much higher. most londoners accept their lot and know despite petty small mindedness from certain less fortunate soles they have the last laugh for living in one of the greatest cities on earth but that still does'nt fully compensate for having to also pay for mickey mouse welsh assemblies and scottish parliaments. it would'nt be so bad if we had kicked out all their politicians at the same time but we are still carrying the dead weight of 70 odd scots and countless welsh etc in a parliament that has devolved decisions to their local equivalents.

the sooner the union is disolved the better in my opinion.
england and particularly london and the se would be so much
better off.

I find it extremely sad and pathetic that we are all intending to move from our homelands and settle in a new country, yet there are those who STILL wish to divide us into "good" or "bad" depending on were they happened to have been born!!!
I think they are in for a big shock when they find out just how prejudice some Aussies will be towards THEM because they come from Britain. Hopefully it will make them think about their own ridicuLous assumptions about people they don't know.

A piece of advice....... don't bring your north/ south divide or anti English angsts with you, you never know who you'll need help from when you are a long way from home!!!