Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been to uk and have come back

Wikiposts

been to uk and have come back

Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:28 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: been to uk and have come back

Originally posted by podgypossum
You are spot on Ceri.

I can add a different cenario. I have always considered myself a very open, honest, caring and friendly person. But i have one very big drawback ... i come from London!!!
As soon as my accent is heard by certain other Brits (never mind the aussies or kiwis!!) i am designated as a certain "type" of person.
I think its just a shallow trait amongst human beings.

I would like to know though, why you think London should be a country on its own??...i am the same as all you other Brits...please dont alienate me even more!!..LOL
Got nothing against Londoners, I said I do not like London (the place). That is one place I could not live, I'd curl up and die.
Why do I think London should be a country? Because I do not think London reflects the real UK. I've only been to London a couple of times, each time I have been there I can not wait to get out of the place. I find it too packed, too expensive, the state of the driving is like a foreign land, the people (not all!) are stand offish and rude (mind you I was in Harrods..lol).

It's too overcrowded and built up for my liking. What is it.. 7 million people in London?

You're right about the accent though,we have a Londoner in work with us, he's been in Aus for about 14 years and still has a right old London accent. The Aussies always call him a Pommie B*stard when he annoys them for some reason. Mind you I'm guilty of doing it myself ... but wait, he is a bit of a horrible g*t..

Anyway the point being is ..I've forgotten what the point was in the first place now - ah London,sorry, don't like the place, People - it depends on the individual of course like anywhere else in the world.
Cheers

P.s Have you got big teeth? Dentistry is expensive here, so it may be a bit of a drawback card for you to have big teeth in Aus(I'm only joking!!)
Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
Got nothing against Londoners, I said I do not like London (the place). That is one place I could not live, I'd curl up and die.
Why do I think London should be a country? Because I do not think London reflects the real UK. I've only been to London a couple of times, each time I have been there I can not wait to get out of the place. I find it too packed, too expensive, the state of the driving is like a foreign land, the people (not all!) are stand offish and rude (mind you I was in Harrods..lol).

It's too overcrowded and built up for my liking. What is it.. 7 million people in London?

You're right about the accent though,we have a Londoner in work with us, he's been in Aus for about 14 years and still has a right old London accent. The Aussies always call him a Pommie B*stard when he annoys them for some reason. Mind you I'm guilty of doing it myself ... but wait, he is a bit of a horrible g*t..

Anyway the point being is ..I've forgotten what the point was in the first place now - ah London,sorry, don't like the place, People - it depends on the individual of course like anywhere else in the world.
Cheers

P.s Have you got big teeth? Dentistry is expensive here, so it may be a bit of a drawback card for you to have big teeth in Aus(I'm only joking!!)
If London is not the real UK (I hate that term UK much prefer Britain or England) what is real Mc Coy? The English Isles are very diverse in terms of people and population so to say one area is less authentic than the other puzzles me.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:47 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
If London is not the real UK (I hate that term UK much prefer Britain or England) what is real Mc Coy? The English Isles are very diverse in terms of people and population so to say one area is less authentic than the other puzzles me.
Exactly. London is just as diverse as anywhere in the UK (UK< UK< UK )

But London is always used as the example of life in the UK (by Londoners)... too packed, roads are busy, houses are expensive bla and blah. London could be it's own country. It is so different from many other parts of the UK.

Now I'm confusing myself
Cheers

P.s Dim Coloneiddo (English Isles.. lol - you are the foreigners)

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 30th 2003 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:06 pm

Exactly. London is just as diverse as anywhere in the UK (UK< UK< UK )

But London is always used as the example of life in the UK (by Londoners)... too packed, roads are busy, houses are expensive bla and blah. London could be it's own country. It is so different from many other parts of the UK.

Now I'm confusing myself
Cheers

P.s Dim Coloneiddo (English Isles.. lol - you are the foreigners)
I was wondering if you would pick up on that one.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:10 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

I was wondering if you would piuck up on that one.
pic of my hero (forget inxs guy ... he's a poof!)
Attached Thumbnails been to uk and have come back-clouds575.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi again Ceri...

yes i do have big teeth..look.. but the dentist told me they are good and strong.

I agree that inner London is a scrawling mass of cars and concrete, but i come from mthe outer suburbs which were nithing like many peoples stereotype of London. The problem lies that most who visit there never go out htat far and think the whole damn place is like the centre.

Cheers

Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:32 pm

pic of my hero (forget inxs guy ... he's a poof!)
He plays for England now.

Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:11 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

He plays for England now.

]
He plays "With" England now.
Owain is the one on the winning team on the left of the pic ( the English team are on the right)

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails been to uk and have come back-dhm1054.jpg  
Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:31 pm

]

Owain is the one on the winning team on the left of the pic ( the English team are on the right)

Cheers
We all know the final result.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 4:54 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

We all know the final result.
The above battle
Camped with fewer than 500 men at the bottom of the Hyddgen valley, he found himself surrounded by 1500 enemy troops. With no option other than to fight, he amazingly defeated the English, though about 200 of his followers died as well.

the final - Owain could have had a pardon by the English... never! He was a wealthy man much respected in England (well he did fight for them at one time... against the Scottish) they offered him a pardon

He went into hiding rather than give himself to the English to be pardoned

The search for his grave still goes on today
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:36 pm

The above battle
Camped with fewer than 500 men at the bottom of the Hyddgen valley, he found himself surrounded by 1500 enemy troops. With no option other than to fight, he amazingly defeated the English, though about 200 of his followers died as well.

the final - Owain could have had a pardon by the English... never! He was a wealthy man much respected in England (well he did fight for them at one time... against the Scottish) they offered him a pardon

He went into hiding rather than give himself to the English to be pardoned

The search for his grave still goes on today
Who won the war?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:43 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Ceri
Half the problem with London is the amount of foreigners living there. I am from London , It is unfriendly, But no more unfriendly than any other City of similar size and culture mix. New York, Washington, Paris, Rome, peckham to name but a few.

If you want to meet true London People you need to come away from the tourist areas. Most true Londoners could not afford to live in Central London.

I have found that if you go to the smaller citys in the UK, they are always friendly, Nightlife is always better than in London, and costs so much cheaper.

Cheers.

Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:51 pm

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Ceri
Half the problem with London is the amount of foreigners living there. I am from London , It is unfriendly, But no more unfriendly than any other City of similar size and culture mix. New York, Washington, Paris, Rome, peckham to name but a few.

If you want to meet true London People you need to come away from the tourist areas. Most true Londoners could not afford to live in Central London.

I have found that if you go to the smaller citys in the UK, they are always friendly, Nightlife is always better than in London, and costs so much cheaper.

Cheers.

That is what makes London so good. London attracts the best from around the world. No such thing as a real Londoner. Do you want a jellied eeled eating cockney geezer? The world has moved on. I am not sure that smaller means friendlier cities. Have you ever been to Manchester?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:38 pm
tennisoz

You can't judge any country by one location. London isn't England, Britain, UK or whatever you want to call it; just as Perth, Brisbane, the outback or wherever isn't Australia. You can't easily sum up a whole country or people is the point - you can only make rough 'sound bites'. There is no 'real' Australia just as there is no 'real' anywhere - it is the sum of its disparite parts

TennisOz

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:25 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Who won the war?

What is the war over??? lol
Attached Thumbnails been to uk and have come back-iwp%2520logo%2520poster.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.