Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been to uk and have come back

Wikiposts

been to uk and have come back

Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: been to uk and have come back

[QUOTE]Originally posted by badgersmount
" the pub here by the way is THE CRAFERS INN, going in there is like visiting a doctors surgery."

what people having a right old whinge!!!???

;-) ;-)

I never go to the doctors - you'll become more ill and catch something else. Most illnesses I get are curable by staying in bed warm and drinking fluids and I'm fine by the next day; it never ceases to amaze me how people go for just an ache, a slight temp, 60 pc are probably just wasting the doctors time, getting attention. By taking antibiotics you are reducing your immune system probably. Haven't been to a doctor since the mid 1990s. And that's cos my mum made me go when she was visiting. I looked up the problem in a book - told the doc - and we both agreed on what I might have had. He said -you should gave stayed at home. "I wish more of my patients would use their initiative. " I don't even know my doctors name - even went there and found it had changed address down thre road ten years before.

;-)

Hmmm...

Interesting...so if there are this many poms and other brits yearning for the country pub, why hasn't anyone latched onto the moneymaking idea of opening one?..I would certainly freuent any in Adelaide when i get there!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 11:20 pm
tennisoz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by podgypossum
Originally posted by badgersmount
" the pub here by the way is THE CRAFERS INN, going in there is like visiting a doctors surgery."

;-) ;-)

I never go to the doctors - you'll become more ill and catch something else. Most illnesses I get are curable by staying in bed warm and drinking fluids and I'm fine by the next day; it never ceases to amaze me how people go for just an ache, a slight temp, 60 pc are probably just wasting the doctors time, getting attention. By taking antibiotics you are reducing your immune system probably. Haven't been to a doctor since the mid 1990s. And that's cos my mum made me go when she was visiting. I looked up the problem in a book - told the doc - and we both agreed on what I might have had. He said -you should gave stayed at home. "I wish more of my patients would use their initiative. " I don't even know my doctors name - even went there and found it had changed address down thre road ten years before.

;-)

Hmmm...

Interesting...so if there are this many poms and other brits yearning for the country pub, why hasn't anyone latched onto the moneymaking idea of opening one?..I would certainly freuent any in Adelaide when i get there!!
There are lots of British and Irish themed pubs in Oz. Wait for the 'they aren't as good as the ones back home' comments!!

TennisOz

Old Sep 28th 2003, 11:55 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Originally posted by mary rayner
Hi is there anybody out ther who has been living in Australia, for 20 years or more, who has gone home to the uk?

then have returned disappointed.

I get home sick from time to time, and then I hear some awful stories, regarding people who have gone back and have returned.

I have lived in Australia for 30 years now, I still cannot beleive, how much I miss the u.k.
Hi Mary

I have lived in Australia since we emigrated when I was 5 (I am now 37)... I returned to the UK about 5 years ago, to start off with just to travel but then I met my husband, got married and now am planning on heading back to Australia ASAP....

I can't say ive ever really missed the UK maybe I have missed my Aunt but definately not the country or the weather!!! Give me back my sunshine!!!.....

Cheers

Sam & Andy

Oz Bound 2004!!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:02 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I found pubs...shall we say, different.

Tha atmosphere in the pubs we went in over there was far less "merry", less noise and hussle/bussle. However, all the groups of people in pubs over here seem much more cleiky (spelling?) than what i saw in oz.

I found pub goers in oz far more approachable and friendly to people who are'nt regulars.

Did'nt like the damn pokie machines though.....

The noise still rings in my mind from one particular establishment we went to.

gdoing gdoing cerrrching ! cheeeching blberblerblbere Keeeeerchinchinchinchinchinching.

Orrbile.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:10 am
Badge

Default aussie clubs

Pete mate

I'll never forget my first real country club in NSW. On the way back from my job - I'd been out back and was dying for a meal and a beer, and to waste a few hours.

I was in Lightning Ridge - biggest bowling green in the Southern Hemisphere - and they have a bar(s), bowling club, the works, the pokies, TV - well I was so glad to have a steak and chips and watch the rugby I loved it!!!!

Later on, during the soccer world cup, my local club was full of my Aussie mates - most cheering on England against Brazil. Great place. It really is a focal point for a small town - and blowins from people travelling through.

badge

Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:14 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: aussie clubs

Pete mate

I'll never forget my first real country club in NSW. On the way back from my job - I'd been out back and was dying for a meal and a beer, and to waste a few hours.

I was in Lightning Ridge - biggest bowling green in the Southern Hemisphere - and they have a bar(s), bowling club, the works, the pokies, TV - well I was so glad to have a steak and chips and watch the rugby I loved it!!!!

Later on, during the soccer world cup, my local club was full of my Aussie mates - most cheering on England against Brazil. Great place. It really is a focal point for a small town - and blowins from people travelling through.

badge
Maybe its more of a pubs in small towns/pubs in cities kind of thing then?

Over here i far prefer a small friendly country pub to a pub/bar in the city.

In oz, we never really went anywhere but small country towns so i can't compare with pubs in the cities.

Pete (the country boy).
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:18 am
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Sydney for 9 years and travel back to the U.K every year to visit family etc...i must say that i find Aussies to be much more friendly than English people. As for the pubs, well the English culture is very much built around `the pub` and it`s something I always have a problem with when I go back to the U.K as I don`t want to spend all my time sitting in the pub. The Aussie culture is different, much more time is spent outdoors etc..
I think it`s a matter of what you like to do in your spare time. Maybe the english lifestyle suits you better..it`s certainly very different. I also find Aussie people to be generally happier, more easy-going and relaxed.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Sam&Andy
Hi Mary

I have lived in Australia since we emigrated when I was 5 (I am now 37)... I returned to the UK about 5 years ago, to start off with just to travel but then I met my husband, got married and now am planning on heading back to Australia ASAP....

I can't say ive ever really missed the UK maybe I have missed my Aunt but definately not the country or the weather!!! Give me back my sunshine!!!.....

Cheers

Sam & Andy

Oz Bound 2004!!!
Hi Sam and Andy,
Good to hear that you are returning to OZ,I guess you can say that you have experienced both countries.

I have only visited the u.k. not having lived there for many years
you really dont know what to expect I have visited many parts of the u.k, and found some beautiful places.

But then I guess when you are on holiday and have money in your pocket,you are not looking for all the hidden problems.

Anyway good luck with your venture. ps [cant your Aunt come with you ]
bye for now Mary
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

;-) ;-)

;-)

badge
Hear hear! Absolutely right. I cannot believe how many people go to the doctor for absolutely everything and then complain because there are no appointments available when they want them. Drink a heap, get some sleep and you'll usually be fine. Sometimes the whole "dragging yourself to work" thing works too and often leaves you feeling better than if you'd stayed around the house feeling sorrry for yourself. Never waste a sick day when you are sick.

Anyway, on that irrelevant note....
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:31 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Got to say i never really found ozzies that friendly once you got beyond the superficial how are you today, all the shops and pubs seem very lacking in any personality. Conformity seemed the norm and highly valued whereas the brits value individuals and hate conformity. Oz how are you is just like the US have a nice day - just an automatic response. We find Brits much more willing to chat and far more helpful to a stranger. We also found that if a Brit says something they actually mean it whereas an ozzie often just make things up to try and impress or supress.

My experience of the 5 years we spent in Oz is as soon as most people picked the english accent they switched off. My oz wife on the over hand in the UK is constantly being asked about Oz and her homeland and getting into nice little conversations with all sorts of people. Seems to me that the UK is a far friendlier place and a hugely funnier place to be as well.

The english seem happy and open minded about foreign places and people whereas the ozzies all seemed to me only interested in trying to prove they were somehow better than every other country on earth and all seem to hold a grudge against foreigners. You have to laugh because lets face it not many of them have ever left their own state let alone the country so have no idea what they are talking about.

I think the aussies on here saying how friendly they find each other may be missing the point that britishexpats are not aussies so unfortunately we rarely see this side of you. Maybe aussies on here should practice what they preach to foreigners and not just other aussies and maybe set an example - obviously you appreciate the brits or you would'nt be hanging around this site would you and therefore your help would be appreciated.

As for the ozzies supporting england in the world cup that certainly was'nt my experience. I could not believe how many ozzies had gone out and purchased Brazil shirts just in case we could'nt understand the jeering and abuse whenever an english player got the ball. Very sad but still they wont be smiling when we kick their sorry underperforming arses in the rugby world cup next month.

Originally posted by mary rayner
Hi is there anybody out ther who has been living in Australia, for 20 years or more, who has gone home to the uk?

then have returned disappointed.

I get home sick from time to time, and then I hear some awful stories, regarding people who have gone back and have returned.

I have lived in Australia for 30 years now, I still cannot beleive, how much I miss the u.k.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance has just spent 6 weeks in the UK, and one of the things he found strangest here was that people were so cold and off-hand; he kept trying to chat, like he does at home, but most Brits just switched off, or even walked away. By contrast I've always found the Aussies welcoming and interested - I'm normally quite shy with new people but they draw me out of myself and make me feel relaxed at once. And by Aussies, I don't mean expats. I guess it probably varies from place to place within a country; but overall I find the Aussies far more friendly and open than the Brits.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 2:36 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dugongs
Got to say i never really found ozzies that friendly once you got beyond the superficial how are you today, all the shops and pubs seem very lacking in any personality. Conformity seemed the norm and highly valued whereas the brits value individuals and hate conformity. Oz how are you is just like the US have a nice day - just an automatic response. We find Brits much more willing to chat and far more helpful to a stranger. We also found that if a Brit says something they actually mean it whereas an ozzie often just make things up to try and impress or supress.

My experience of the 5 years we spent in Oz is as soon as most people picked the english accent they switched off. My oz wife on the over hand in the UK is constantly being asked about Oz and her homeland and getting into nice little conversations with all sorts of people. Seems to me that the UK is a far friendlier place and a hugely funnier place to be as well.

The english seem happy and open minded about foreign places and people whereas the ozzies all seemed to me only interested in trying to prove they were somehow better than every other country on earth and all seem to hold a grudge against foreigners. You have to laugh because lets face it not many of them have ever left their own state let alone the country so have no idea what they are talking about.

I think the aussies on here saying how friendly they find each other may be missing the point that britishexpats are not aussies so unfortunately we rarely see this side of you. Maybe aussies on here should practice what they preach to foreigners and not just other aussies and maybe set an example - obviously you appreciate the brits or you would'nt be hanging around this site would you and therefore your help would be appreciated.

As for the ozzies supporting england in the world cup that certainly was'nt my experience. I could not believe how many ozzies had gone out and purchased Brazil shirts just in case we could'nt understand the jeering and abuse whenever an english player got the ball. Very sad but still they wont be smiling when we kick their sorry underperforming arses in the rugby world cup next month.
How true!!

I do not have much of a prob here regarding the "English accent thing" (as I haven't got one), but I get sick and tired of Aussies asking "How do you like Australia? Isn't this better than the UK? blah and blah" sort of inferior complex if you ask me. Isn't it usually customary to ask a foreigner about their homeland? I know that's what comes out of my mouth when I meet someone from a different land for the first time. I ask them about their country.

an example:
when I used to race in Asia besides the Asians there were a lot of Brits and Aussie expats. The Aussies used to set up camp in one corner only mixing with themselves, bit of a clubby mentality. The Brits used to be all over the place , some would set up camp with the French among us, others with the Asians etc etc.

Here in Aus, I find that they (some Australians.. not all) do not mix readily with Asians. My hubby and I have been in one particular Pub before now and have got talking to some poor old bloke (Malaysian) because some dick head of a friendly Aussie has been making stupid racist comments towards him! The poor guy was just visiting Aus. We even had to give him a lift home (he was staying with friends) because the "dick head" wanted to start a fight with him. Last house I was in there was a chinese family in the street... not one Aussie in that street mixed with them. They were such a nice family as well

It has not been in my experience that Aussies are more friendlier than Brits, and it's actually a bit of a stupid comparisment. Britain is a nation of many regions, countries, cities, peoples and towns.. it depends on the location in Britain regarding people and it depends on the indvidual. I always think London (which I personally do not like) should be a country all of it's own.

Yes, and most Aussies do not support England in any sport..lol (i don't know where the hell I am, but I'm sure not in this country they talk of) They will support Ireland, Scotland or Wales before they will support England. Have you seen that advert here on Tv for a Video of when Aus beat England in the football? Australia's greatest moment or something like that it's called. Watch out for it you'll laugh! Inferior complex or what?

Anyway what do we know?

People are people.. we are not all the same. So to make sweeping generalisations of Australians are more friendlier than Brits.. come on!
I find a huge difference between people in Brisbane and Newcastle, so to sum up a nation whether it is Britain or Aus is ridiculous.

Cheers

P.s to the original posters question, Mary - I'm from Wales (The dragon is a bit of a giveaway )
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
How true!!

I do not have much of a prob here regarding the "English accent thing" (as I haven't got one), but I get sick and tired of Aussies asking "How do you like Australia? Isn't this better than the UK? blah and blah" sort of inferior complex if you ask me. Isn't it usually customary to ask a foreigner about their homeland? I know that's what comes out of my mouth when I meet someone from a different land for the first time. I ask them about their country.

an example:
when I used to race in Asia besides the Asians there were a lot of Brits and Aussie expats. The Aussies used to set up camp in one corner only mixing with themselves, bit of a clubby mentality. The Brits used to be all over the place , some would set up camp with the French among us, others with the Asians etc etc.

Here in Aus, I find that they (some Australians.. not all) do not mix readily with Asians. My hubby and I have been in one particular Pub before now and have got talking to some poor old bloke (Malaysian) because some dick head of a friendly Aussie has been making stupid racist comments towards him! The poor guy was just visiting Aus. We even had to give him a lift home (he was staying with friends) because the "dick head" wanted to start a fight with him. Last house I was in there was a chinese family in the street... not one Aussie in that street mixed with them. They were such a nice family as well

It has not been in my experience that Aussies are more friendlier than Brits, and it's actually a bit of a stupid comparisment. Britain is a nation of many regions, countries, cities, peoples and towns.. it depends on the location in Britain regarding people and it depends on the indvidual. I always think London (which I personally do not like) should be a country all of it's own.

Yes, and most Aussies do not support England in any sport..lol (i don't know where the hell I am, but I'm sure not in this country they talk of) They will support Ireland, Scotland or Wales before they will support England. Have you seen that advert here on Tv for a Video of when Aus beat England in the football? Australia's greatest moment or something like that it's called. Watch out for it you'll laugh! Inferior complex or what?

Anyway what do we know?

People are people.. we are not all the same. So to make sweeping generalisations of Australians are more friendlier than Brits.. come on!
I find a huge difference between people in Brisbane and Newcastle, so to sum up a nation whether it is Britain or Aus is ridiculous.

Cheers

P.s to the original posters question, Mary - I'm from Wales (The dragon is a bit of a giveaway )

You are spot on Ceri.

I can add a different cenario. I have always considered myself a very open, honest, caring and friendly person. But i have one very big drawback ... i come from London!!!
As soon as my accent is heard by certain other Brits (never mind the aussies or kiwis!!) i am designated as a certain "type" of person.
I think its just a shallow trait amongst human beings.

I would like to know though, why you think London should be a country on its own??...i am the same as all you other Brits...please dont alienate me even more!!..LOL
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
You are spot on Ceri.

I can add a different cenario. I have always considered myself a very open, honest, caring and friendly person. But i have one very big drawback ... i come from London!!!
As soon as my accent is heard by certain other Brits (never mind the aussies or kiwis!!) i am designated as a certain "type" of person.
I think its just a shallow trait amongst human beings.

I would like to know though, why you think London should be a country on its own??...i am the same as all you other Brits...please dont alienate me even more!!..LOL
Thats because you are geezer with geezer teeth. I get that crap and I am not even from Landon.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
Thats because you are geezer with geezer teeth. I get that crap and I am not even from Landon.

Me is not a geezer!!!!...me is a bird!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.