Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been to uk and have come back

Wikiposts

been to uk and have come back

Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default been to uk and have come back

Hi is there anybody out ther who has been living in Australia, for 20 years or more, who has gone home to the uk?

then have returned disappointed.

I get home sick from time to time, and then I hear some awful stories, regarding people who have gone back and have returned.

I have lived in Australia for 30 years now, I still cannot beleive, how much I miss the u.k.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:38 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been to uk and have come back

Originally posted by mary rayner

I have lived in Australia for 30 years now, I still cannot beleive, how much I miss the u.k.
What do you miss? Lets see if you have UK "rose tinted" glasses. After 30 years things have changed a lot. I was 4 when you went to OZ and I know I have seen a lot of changes. How often have you returned home?
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody hell 30 years, its no longer a penal colony you are allowed out.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

yes it would be interesting to hear what you miss. We usually only get the other side of the story!

Do you miss the people, family or the place?
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by tinaj
yes it would be interesting to hear what you miss. We usually only get the other side of the story!

Do you miss the people, family or the place?

yes I miss the country pubs, people in England do go to the pub to be sociable, where as in Oz they are more content ,to go and watch TV.

one can stay home and watch TV,and usually there are quite a number of them all showing [races football news ect ]

Best part is they are all looking at the screen, and the bloody sound is turned down. sad sad.

most of all I do miss British humour,I feel that life has got too serious, we all need to laugh,a lot more than we do.

Mary
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by karawara88
Bloody hell 30 years, its no longer a penal colony you are allowed out.
:scared:

Oh no you mean that I could have escaped, what a shame that I did not get in touch with you sooner, buggar bugger.

[ I might even ask you for my fare ]
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by HUP
What do you miss? Lets see if you have UK "rose tinted" glasses. After 30 years things have changed a lot. I was 4 when you went to OZ and I know I have seen a lot of changes. How often have you returned home?

I guess you are right,I do see it a little with rose coloured glasses

to answer your question, I have returned to the uk, every year for the past 6 years, and I have to say except for the traffic I have enjoyed it every time.

I do think the people in England are much friendlier than in OZ.

I do miss the village pubs. while in Winchester last year, I went to a little pub, in a village just outside Winchester, called THE RUNNING HORSE. Iwas in that pub for 3hours, made more friends in those 3 hours than I have in my local pub here for 9 years. the pub here by the way is THE CRAFERS INN, going in there is like visiting a doctors surgery.

I have since found a great pub THE BRIDGEWATER which I now go to even driving 15 mins to get there.

Mary
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

yes I miss the country pubs, people in England do go to the pub to be sociable, where as in Oz they are more content ,to go and watch TV.

one can stay home and watch TV,and usually there are quite a number of them all showing [races football news ect ]

Best part is they are all looking at the screen, and the bloody sound is turned down. sad sad.

most of all I do miss British humour,I feel that life has got too serious, we all need to laugh,a lot more than we do.

Mary
..mary ... stay around, join the club.

I'm not in your position, but have only been out the UK for 11 going on 12 years (I've holidays back home within this time).

I know what you mean.

welcome to this forum... I hope you stay and post your point view... no matter if I or anyone else disagrees with you.

anyway ... welcome to cuckoo land

I'e been here 6 years.. long enough

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 28th 2003 at 5:58 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:26 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I love to go back to UK at Christmas time, the atmosphere and the gagets in the shops are brilliant.The best thing about going back though is knowing you're going to come home to 30 degrees of sunshine.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:22 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand why you would miss the pubs mary, but the fact is that pubs in Aus/NZ are seen as very different to pubs in the UK.

Pubs in the UK are much more sociable places yes, but most Aussies/Kiwis see pubs as a place to get drunk and little else.

Most people in Aus/NZ wouldn't be caught dead spending their sunday afternoons in a pub - people are out making friends on the sports field, sailing, hiking, indulging in 'cafe' culture etc etc etc

Very different to the UK, where a pub is a very pleasant place to spend a winter's afternoon

sports and sports clubs tend to be focus of social life in Aus/NZ, as opposed to pubs in the UK - which is why Aust and NZ tend to punch above their division on the international sporting field. Sports and outdoor activity are much more ingrained into everyday life than in the UK.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to miss the english pubs (you can miss whatever you damn well like!), but perhaps after so long in Aus it's time you realised that you're looking for something that doesn't exist (at least not on every corner like it does in the UK)

Last edited by jandjuk; Sep 28th 2003 at 8:24 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ceri
..mary ... stay around, join the club.

I'm not in your position, but have only been out the UK for 11 going on 12 years (I've holidays back home within this time).

I know what you mean.

welcome to this forum... I hope you stay and post your point view... no matter if I or anyone else disagrees with you.

anyway ... welcome to cuckoo land

I'e been here 6 years.. long enough
Ceri
What part of the uk are you from, I just feel so angry, it seems that, every little thing that goes wrong in the u.k. is head line news here.

I know things are not great in the u.k, but come on Aussies.
just look at what has happened in Adelaide the city of churches.

For the last few months be it Adelaide Sydney Melbourne.
there has been at least two or three murders every day, so its not just good old u.k.thats going to the dogs, all the world is changing.
when do think you will return to the u.k?
Mary bye from cuckoo land.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:34 pm
tennisoz

Ceri
What part of the uk are you from, I just feel so angry, it seems that, every little thing that goes wrong in the u.k. is head line news here.

I know things are not great in the u.k, but come on Aussies.
just look at what has happened in Adelaide the city of churches.

For the last few months be it Adelaide Sydney Melbourne.
there has been at least two or three murders every day, so its not just good old u.k.thats going to the dogs, all the world is changing.
when do think you will return to the u.k?
Mary bye from cuckoo land.
Mary

I lived the first 30 years of my life in Oz and the last 23 years in Scotland. I enjoy what's in each country and try not to look for differences and I try to live like the locals. If you would prefer to be somewhere else then as the ad says, just do it! I can understand homesickness but as someone said it is an over-exaggeration of the difference between where you are and where you want to be.

TennisOz

Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:03 pm
Badge

Default I don't get it!!

I really don't understand this thing that Australian pubs are not friendly or whatever whatever..for a start, the barmaids say how are you, and make eye contact - even in London the Aussie barmaids do this. (I can tell which ones are English, which ones are Aussie.)

Every single pub I went in to everyone was friendly in Aussie. And strangers are far more happier and approachable as we touched on in another thread. If the pub wasn't particularly nice there was a reason for it- clientele etc - and you get the same in the Uk...(local pubs full of blokes).

If anything, its the pubs in the UK. Most of them piss heads all having a right old whinge if memory serve me right. Lets see who can be the most negative. Have the most whinge. Come out with the most self depreceating comments..??!! Barman to local : how are you?" All you hear is "Alright. Oh well could be better". An Aussie will say "Good thanks" make an attempt.

I just don't get it, or is it me?? Come to think of it, pubs are pretty much the same the world over. The UK just chooses to make theirs look like some old country gents living room. Aussie just has more TV - food laid on etc..

I think people in this forum are mixing up country pubs - which are pretty good in the UK - the sort that do sunday lunch - and are probably at their best on Sundays on the weekend- with pubs in aussie which are to all extents and purposes - locals pubs..

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Sep 28th 2003 at 10:07 pm.

Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:10 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I don't get it!!

Originally posted by badgersmount
I really don't understand this thing that Australian pubs are not friendly or whatever whatever..for a start, the barmaids say how are you, and make eye contact - even in London the Aussie barmaids do this. (I can tell which ones are English, which ones are Aussie.)

Every single pub I went in to everyone was friendly in Aussie. And strangers are far more happier and approachable as we touched on in another thread. If the pub wasn't particularly nice there was a reason for it- clientele etc - and you get the same in the Uk...(local pubs full of blokes).

If anything, its the pubs in the UK. Most of them piss heads all having a right old whinge if memory serve me right. Lets see who can be the most negative. Have the most whinge. Come out with the most self depreceating comments..??!! Barman to local : how are you?" All you hear is "Alright. Oh well could be better". An Aussie will say "Good thanks" make an attempt.

I just don't get it, or is it me?? Come to think of it, pubs are pretty much the same the world over. The UK just chooses to make theirs look like some old country gents living room. Aussie just has more TV - food laid on etc..

I think people in this forum are mixing up country pubs - which are pretty good in the UK - the sort that do sunday lunch - and are probably at their best on Sundays on the weekend- with pubs in aussie which are to all extents and purposes - locals pubs..

badgers
I find speaking to the English in pubs you get a look back as though you a totally crazy.

Maybe it is the mullett and speedos I am wearing! Aussies don't have that reaction although thongs in pubs is a no no.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:26 pm
Badge

" the pub here by the way is THE CRAFERS INN, going in there is like visiting a doctors surgery."

what people having a right old whinge!!!???

;-) ;-)

I never go to the doctors - you'll become more ill and catch something else. Most illnesses I get are curable by staying in bed warm and drinking fluids and I'm fine by the next day; it never ceases to amaze me how people go for just an ache, a slight temp, 60 pc are probably just wasting the doctors time, getting attention. By taking antibiotics you are reducing your immune system probably. Haven't been to a doctor since the mid 1990s. And that's cos my mum made me go when she was visiting. I looked up the problem in a book - told the doc - and we both agreed on what I might have had. He said -you should gave stayed at home. "I wish more of my patients would use their initiative. " I don't even know my doctors name - even went there and found it had changed address down thre road ten years before.

;-)

badge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.