Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been for medicals, however........

Been for medicals, however........

Old Jul 30th 2002, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been for medicals, however........

Went for medicals yesterday. I get occaisional hypertension and although the day before it was spot on, you guessed it, my blood pressure was sky high 150/100, bummer .

This has meant me having to creep round the cardiologist's secretary in order to wangle an appointment (and get charged £120 for the privilige).

Anyway, saw the cardiologist today, ECG fine, eyes fine, heart sound fine, so therefore he's going to put me on an ambulatory blood pressure monitor for 24 hours to prove/disprove if I in fact have hypertension, and if so start me on medication to control it. Hopefully then I'll have a cardiologist report to satisfy the doc. I can feel my BP rising with the stress of it all!!!!!!!!

Family are all poking fun at me not getting through the medical, but as I smugly pointed out, if I don't make it (as main applicant) then neither do they!!!!!!! So they've all got to be nice to me so I can put my feet up and think nice relaxing thoughts. Wonder how long that will last.................

Anyway theres my moan of the day.

Sue
Old Jul 30th 2002, 9:30 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue,

God that was quick...one perk for us nurses huh....

It's cool having a 24hr BP...not....all that pumping all night....every hour on the hour....lol....wont get much sleep anyway..I didnt

I mean the BP cuff pumping ofcourse!!!!!

:
Old Jul 30th 2002, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Been for medicals, however........

I knew what you meant Yvonne!!!!!!!!!
But thank you for caring!!!!!!!!!!
Sue
Old Jul 30th 2002, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

yea just keep your feet up and just keep reminding am whos getting them there whan you need some ice in your drink
good luck shaun and lor
Old Jul 31st 2002, 8:20 am
Spinach88

Hi.

Good luck with the final part of the medical Sue, but remember, it's not up to the
doctor who examines you as to whether you pass or not, it's up to the chief medical
officer in oz.

spinach.

"SueandIan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I knew what you meant Yvonne!!!!!!!!! But thank you for caring!!!!!!!!!! Sue
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Sue
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 31st 2002, 10:21 am
Jaj

It's actually your case officer that's the first line of the decision. Only a portion
of medicals go to Australia for clearance, and I'd say only a very small number end
up on the desk of the chief medical officer for his personal perusal

Jeremy

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:57:09 +0100, "spinach88" <[email protected]> wrote: Hi.
    >
    >Good luck with the final part of the medical Sue, but remember, it's not up to the
    >doctor who examines you as to whether you pass or not, it's up to the chief medical
    >officer in oz.
    >
    >spinach.
    >
    >"SueandIan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I knew what you meant Yvonne!!!!!!!!! But thank you for caring!!!!!!!!!! Sue
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sue
    >>
    >> Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 8th 2002, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a quick update.
Had the Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitor on for 24 hours (all that pumping all night.......it really is exhausting) and the info was downloaded to a computer, analysed and reported on by the Cardiologist.
The resulting report showed an average BP of 130/85 which goes to prove I'm absolutely normal, (bet not many of you lot have proof you're normal!) so the doc was able to pass my medical and I posted them off to AHC ASAP
Apparently they will probably have to be perused by the Chief Medical Officer in Sydney, which may add on a few week but at least the stress seems to have lifted a little.
There is light at the end of the tunnel!
Sue
Old Aug 15th 2002, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

dani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SueandIan:
Just a quick update.
Had the Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitor on for 24 hours (all that pumping all night.......it really is exhausting) and the info was downloaded to a computer, analysed and reported on by the Cardiologist.
The resulting report showed an average BP of 130/85 which goes to prove I'm absolutely normal, (bet not many of you lot have proof you're normal!) so the doc was able to pass my medical and I posted them off to AHC ASAP
Apparently they will probably have to be perused by the Chief Medical Officer in Sydney, which may add on a few week but at least the stress seems to have lifted a little.
There is light at the end of the tunnel!
Sue
Hi Sue,
You seem to know a lot about high blood pressure, so could you answer some questions for me?

What happens if you fail the medical because of high blood pressure? What process is next and if medication is required to regulate it is this acceptable to pass the medical?

Thanks
Dani
Old Aug 15th 2002, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dani:

Hi Sue,
You seem to know a lot about high blood pressure, so could you answer some questions for me?

What happens if you fail the medical because of high blood pressure? What process is next and if medication is required to regulate it is this acceptable to pass the medical?

Thanks
Dani
Hi Dani
I ought to know about blood pressure cos I'm a nurse! Anyway back to the question, if your BP is elevated at the medical, then like me you'd need a cardiologist report. Luckily mine came back normal, therefore no follow up. However, if it had turned out that I was hypertensive, then the cardiologist would have recommended medication to control it. The medication required is not expensive so it should not afffect your chances of getting a visa, although it all depends on the Cardiology report and if there are any underlying problems.
Everyones different and the mere fact that I was worrying that my blood pressure would be high, meant that it was high! Its easy for people to say don't worry but the more you try not to think of it the more you do! Hope this helps.
Sue
Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:51 am
Rob

In <[email protected]> SueandIan wrote:

> Everyones different and the mere fact that I was worrying that my blood pressure
    > would be high, meant that it was high! Its easy for people to say don't worry but
    > the more you try not to think of it the more you do! Hope this helps. Sue

What about donating a pint of blood on the way to the medical ? That's gotta reduce
your blood pressure.

:-)

Old Aug 16th 2002, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rob:

What about donating a pint of blood on the way to the medical ? That's gotta reduce
your blood pressure.

:-)
Bit drastic, but may well work............
Sue
Old Aug 17th 2002, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

dani is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the info. One last question before you start charging me a consultation fee! if a person is already taking medication for high blood pressure (beta blocker) do they still have to have a cardiologists report provided that their hypertension is controlled?

Thanks again
Dani
Old Aug 17th 2002, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dani:
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the info. One last question before you start charging me a consultation fee! if a person is already taking medication for high blood pressure (beta blocker) do they still have to have a cardiologists report provided that their hypertension is controlled?

Thanks again
Dani
In answer to your question, if the hypertension is controlled then it shouldn't be an issue at the medical, meaning if the reading is within acceptable levels (140/90) then no additional report should be necessary, but you do have to take a list of current prescribed medication and note any major/ long term health conditions. Hope this helps.
Sue