Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here a week and still no Spiders

Been here a week and still no Spiders

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been here a week and still no Spiders

Landed in Sydney last week and still havent seen one spider. If this continues for much longer I`ll soon stop checking under the toilet seat when I go for a Tom Tit
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been here a week and still no Spiders

Originally posted by jasonK944
Landed in Sydney last week and still havent seen one spider. If this continues for much longer I`ll soon stop checking under the toilet seat when I go for a Tom Tit
Where in Sydney are you?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:03 pm
WBB

Originally posted by jasonK944

as soon as you lower your guard they will pounce.

how is sydney, any early observations???

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SYDNEY

My early impressions are that like all big cities it has its nice (gorgeous in the case of the Harbour area) bits but loads of tedious looking suburbs - you seem to drive for hours through one suburb after another and none seem to have any character. The best bits of Sydney and where I hope to move to are the Eastern suburbs. This area has great acces to beaches and is not too far from the CBD. Its been said here before but dont even look at the West of teh City. From the bits that I have seen there is nothing of interest until you are well out of the city.

The people everywhere have been increadibly friendly which is great.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

]

Lucky you been in Brisbane about 10 weeks and seen more than enough huntsmans thank you. About a week before christmas I was lucky enough to have a rather large ( well it was large to me although have seen since larger ones yuk ) huntsman run straight into my foot to which I had a real headfit that woke up my daughter who came down to see what was going on at the time we were putting together her bike for christmas. Luckly to sleepy did not notice the bike. There has been a few other huntsmans in the house and outside, Im on the look all the time as I have a big fear of them.

Liz and Mark
Brisbane
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:20 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Liz and mark...Learn to love your Huntsmen.They only live for a few weeks at a time, are not dangerous to humans and they eat flies and moths.
I know it's hard to get used to them but try giving them names and remember...they are on your side.
Please don't squish them, you can use a jar and throw them outside.
You could use a surface spray on the edges of the carpets, doors and windows.This should reduce the amount of unwanted visitors.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:22 pm
WBB

Originally posted by ButtonMoon
They only live for a few weeks at a time.

they live more than once?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by liz and mark
]

Lucky you been in Brisbane about 10 weeks and seen more than enough huntsmans thank you. About a week before christmas I was lucky enough to have a rather large ( well it was large to me although have seen since larger ones yuk ) huntsman run straight into my foot to which I had a real headfit that woke up my daughter who came down to see what was going on at the time we were putting together her bike for christmas. Luckly to sleepy did not notice the bike. There has been a few other huntsmans in the house and outside, Im on the look all the time as I have a big fear of them.

Liz and Mark
Brisbane
huntsman spiders do look a bit scary but they arent an aggressive spider and their bite isnt bad, it wont kill you !!
I find a few huntsman spiders in the house, generally on very hot nights when they come in from outdoors. They tend to be easily seen because they head for the ceiling and corner of room. I just get a broom and get them to go on it, then I take it outdoors and shake it off. Im more scared of the other spiders I see out the back garden when I go out at night for a ciggie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:18 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Very funny,,,, Tom Tit..lmao
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

dobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

we have also seen more than our share of spiders mainly huntsman and been here 6 weeks

juliet
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Waltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enoughWaltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enough

LOL @ the huntsman drama!! I travelled Oz in 99-00 and we didnt run into any huntsman in Sydney. However did work on a cattle station near Uluru and OMG we saw EVERYTHING snakes, scorpians and there were red back spiders in the lav......no paper and cuppa tea when your on the throne in Oz its in job done and out!!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:31 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by liz and mark
]

Liz and Mark
Brisbane
No need to fear them. They eat some of the nasty flying things. I saw my biggest one yet the other night - it was on the door of my beer fridge out in the shed. Hard to judge the size from this, but it was about 5 or 6 inches leg span, the body was about 1 and a half inches long.

Mind you, they still make me jump when they drop out from behind the sun visor or scuttle across the floor.

:scared:

Cheers,

DagBoy
(edited to reduce pic size)
Attached Thumbnails Been here a week and still no Spiders-dsc00004.jpg  

Last edited by DagBoy; Jan 8th 2004 at 11:34 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dobbo
we have also seen more than our share of spiders mainly huntsman and been here 6 weeks

juliet
This is weird, i've been in QLD for a year now, and still not seen a huntsman, not even seen a redback, not even seen a snake. I've even only seen about half a dozen cockroaches, in the entire time.

Maybe I am just lucky.....