Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here two months and want to go home!

Been here two months and want to go home!

Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:30 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here two months and want to go home!

Originally Posted by TraceyW
So knowing this fact, what happens if Mrs Aston Man wants to go home after a couple of months....and you don't? Just wondering as it's a very common occurence.
well if mrs astonman does want to come back,because she is really unhappy what could i do?hide her passport?
tracey you tell me,you are more qualified to answer that than me?what could i do?i hope not tracey...have you ever felt you could leave your hubby there?
because coming back here is not an option for me...

p.s i do not mean that to be offensive.. honest.xxx

are there any singles clubs?i am not a bad looking bloke and i still have all my hair..and my teeth...!!!!!!!!

Last edited by aston man; Mar 11th 2007 at 2:03 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
Do you mind me asking what line of work you are in, or wernt in for 12 months. I'm very worried about getting work in Perth?
I've only been out of work for 3 months (since being here) not 12. I'm in I.T. but not the high end stuff. I turned a couple of positions down initially as I wanted to get something which was right for me, I probably should've just taken the first one offered though but thats not me.

There's plenty work out here and you can get many interviews although the competition may be high for those positions.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. What line of work are you in?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wafc
I've only been out of work for 3 months (since being here) not 12. I'm in I.T. but not the high end stuff. I turned a couple of positions down initially as I wanted to get something which was right for me, I probably should've just taken the first one offered though but thats not me.

There's plenty work out here and you can get many interviews although the competition may be high for those positions.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. What line of work are you in?
I'm a Design Engineer. Mechanical Machine Stuff. I'd be sick if I couldnt get up and running within a couple of months. Although I will do anything in order to make it work out. 2 we'uns that need feeding.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stardust
Hello everyone
Well I don't want this post to sound negative but can't stop thinking about going home even though couldn't wait to get out here.
Australia is a beautiful country. We are living in Sydney near Cronulla a really nice part of the country. Love the beaches, love the weather but missing my mum and dad so much.
Both me and my husband are finding it so hard without the support of the grandparents looking after the kids. Kids really missing their grandparents too. My daughter cries for her nana all the time which makes me feel really awful.
Kids have started school which they actually like which is good. I am still not working, maybe I will feel better when I do, hope so.
found the whole thing about Australians working shorter hours a bit of a myth. My husband and other friends and family work in Sydney and generally finish about 6.30 - 7.00pm the same if not later than UK, so things on that score not that much different really. In general find the wages lower but frustratingly house prices higher. But then suppose this depends on the area. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia I suppose
We have been to Australia before on a long holiday and loved it but really think I mixed up enjoying a place to holiday rather than actually living here.
Really don't want to put people off coming, think if you want to do it you should go for it even if you end up coming home at least you have tried!
We're still in Scotland right now so don't know exactly what you're going though and can only begin to imagine how you're feeling, but reading your post I really felt for you. I'm not going to try and give you any advice as haven't been in your shoes yet but I seriously hope things turn around for you. Hopefully working will make all the differance for you and open up a whole new social aspect of life there for you. I can only go by my own fears and all the things you mentioned are exactly them, missing my parents and friends and in the absence of parents then friends old or new can make a whole lot of differance.

Good luck and hopefully in a few months we'll be reading a post telling us how much you love your new life.

Nikki
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:43 am
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of

Hi there, I arrived in Sydney at the beginning of December and am living in Cronulla. I know exactly how you feel except my other half is Australian and doesn't share my feelings which puts us in a bit of a predicament!

I am also finding it very hard to get work here which I know doesn't help as I have so much time on my hands to sit around and stew about things. I am very close to my family and had a good career in the UK and can't help but feel at the moment like I have lost both.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it and it does make me feel better. Am going to give it a year and then if I still feel this way make plans to go home.
Think my husband would stay here forever but luckily really understands how I feel. I was worried about missing family before I left so knew what to expect. Luckily we have friends over here so we are not completly alone but they are all without children so think it is different for them.
Have to say even if I go or stay have really learned to appreciate my family a lot more than I did in the UK
Anyway thanks again
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:57 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stardust
Hello everyone
Well I don't want this post to sound negative but can't stop thinking about going home even though couldn't wait to get out here.
Australia is a beautiful country. We are living in Sydney near Cronulla a really nice part of the country. Love the beaches, love the weather but missing my mum and dad so much.
Both me and my husband are finding it so hard without the support of the grandparents looking after the kids. Kids really missing their grandparents too. My daughter cries for her nana all the time which makes me feel really awful.
Kids have started school which they actually like which is good. I am still not working, maybe I will feel better when I do, hope so.
found the whole thing about Australians working shorter hours a bit of a myth. My husband and other friends and family work in Sydney and generally finish about 6.30 - 7.00pm the same if not later than UK, so things on that score not that much different really. In general find the wages lower but frustratingly house prices higher. But then suppose this depends on the area. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia I suppose
We have been to Australia before on a long holiday and loved it but really think I mixed up enjoying a place to holiday rather than actually living here.
Really don't want to put people off coming, think if you want to do it you should go for it even if you end up coming home at least you have tried!
Sorry to hear you are struggling with the move - as others have said, it does get easier...

I hope others who are back in the UK and "100% committed to making it work in Oz" etc read this and realise that no matter how determined you are and how much you plan the finest detail, you cannot tell in advance how well you will adjust to the new life abroad...

Hope you get settled in soon!

S
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Cheers Bridie, I actually quite like the thought of living somehwere like you in Bunbury etc, somewhere thats a little quieter but still has all of the amenities which you need.

I know its a hell of a lot quieter up here than the UK but its still busy in Perth. I'm not sure what the market for IT work is in places like Bunbury though.

I've never visited Bunbury but I will have to do soon.
Send you a PM
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:39 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aston man
well if mrs astonman does want to come back,because she is really unhappy what could i do?hide her passport?
tracey you tell me,you are more qualified to answer that than me?what could i do?i hope not tracey...have you ever felt you could leave your hubby there?
because coming back here is not an option for me...

p.s i do not mean that to be offensive.. honest.xxx

are there any singles clubs?i am not a bad looking bloke and i still have all my hair..and my teeth...!!!!!!!!
You're barmy you!!

Luck has it that my old man happens to love me more than he loves Oz, so despite putting up protests in the beginning about not wanting to go back, he now realises that our marriage is more important to him than a place to live. Bless him to bits!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:59 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

You're barmy you!!

Luck has it that my old man happens to love me more than he loves Oz, so despite putting up protests in the beginning about not wanting to go back, he now realises that our marriage is more important to him than a place to live. Bless him to bits!
good on you both tracey,as long as your both happy together,then thats all that matters...

what ever it has cost you financially ,at least you have tried and come through it together.lots of people never try anything in life..

i wrote something here and then thought about it,so i edited it.

in my case if it does work but not for my wife,then it is something we are both entering into..it would be a nightmare i think to go over there thinking it was your partners idea to go and not yours,a real recipe for arguments..
if and thats a big if,it does not work out,as much as i dont want to drag my family all round the world,it will be a move again in the search of happiness...but it wont be back to the u.k..thats something i am a thousand percent sure of...

marcus..

Last edited by aston man; Mar 12th 2007 at 6:31 am.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, we had a conversation over the weekend as I wasnt feeling too good (pregnancy pains, nothing serious as it turned out!) and he said I was his No 1 priority and if we'd come here and I'd not been happy he would have gladly gone back if that was what I wanted.

I thought it was so sweet.......
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

People reckon it takes at least 2 years then it falls into place. It's like someone's supposed to flick a magic switch and it all starts to 'fit'.
I've never read it as a switch flicking. I always assumed people meant that if you didn't settle immediately but gave it time and got used to stuff you would either have come to love it or definitely hate it by two years. Two years is nothing when you consider your life, unfortunately if you are somewhere you really really hate and feel ill when you wake up each morning then two years is a life sentence.

To the OP, go day by day and each day try to find something that makes you smile, if you can't do that then I would go back to the UK, treat your time here as a long break from the UK. Nothing lost but money and whilst that is a pain in the neck in the grand scheme of things is not the end of the world.

I don't think giving time scales is particularly useful as everyone is different, has come from different circumstances and their self preservation levels are different. You may go back and then become a ping pong pom, you may go back and be as happy as a pig in shit for the rest of your lives or you may find you love this place and don't want to leave but you have to try first, not sit and mope however much of a mental struggle that is to fight.

Get yourself some work and see how you feel then. Good luck
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I've never read it as a switch flicking. I always assumed people meant that if you didn't settle immediately but gave it time and got used to stuff you would either have come to love it or definitely hate it by two years. Two years is nothing when you consider your life, unfortunately if you are somewhere you really really hate and feel ill when you wake up each morning then two years is a life sentence.

To the OP, go day by day and each day try to find something that makes you smile, if you can't do that then I would go back to the UK, treat your time here as a long break from the UK. Nothing lost but money and whilst that is a pain in the neck in the grand scheme of things is not the end of the world.

I don't think giving time scales is particularly useful as everyone is different, has come from different circumstances and their self preservation levels are different. You may go back and then become a ping pong pom, you may go back and be as happy as a pig in shit for the rest of your lives or you may find you love this place and don't want to leave but you have to try first, not sit and mope however much of a mental struggle that is to fight.

Get yourself some work and see how you feel then. Good luck
Very very accurate - everyone's timescales are different, just as everyone's likes and dislikes are different.
Definitely try and focus on the good things - try and do the things you enjoy about Aus, and try and see tht things you want to see. Sometimes even if you try and focus on the good things it still doesn't feel right, and thats when you have to make a decision to go or stay. I would say if possible not to make a decision until you have a job and have settled into a "normal" routine. Then once you are living an ordinary everyday existence, if it still doesn't work think about leaving.
And if you can't - and believe me there are many people who can't just "go home" for many reasons - you then have to focus on enjoying what you can, and find your own way of getting through life, same as you would if you were back "home" before you thought of emigrating.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:33 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

You're barmy you!!

Blesss both our hubbies to bits because mine wanted to stay but came back to UK because i wanted to. HOWEVER, wish id bloody well listened to him now because we are headed back to Oz Funny old world eh
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I hope things improve for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.