Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here two months and want to go home!

Been here two months and want to go home!

Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:26 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been here two months and want to go home!

I feel for the OP.

I've never got over the homesickness and we will be heading back after 4.5 years

People reckon it takes at least 2 years then it falls into place. It's like someone's supposed to flick a magic switch and it all starts to 'fit'. Well, it didn't for us.

I would say deffo give it more time. You're still really emotional and you may be one of the lucky ones it does all slot into place for. Just hang in there for a while longer. All the best.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi we are still in Scotland so I don't know how you are feeling, but my heart goes out to you. Knowing what it takes to go through this process then feel the way you do must be extremely difficult. Just want to say hang in there and I sincerely hope things improve for you soon.

Donna
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I really think that British Expats should try and think of a way to put copies of posts like this in an archive forum for would-be-migrants to see when they are researching.

Even if a sub-forum entitled "I want to go home" or something stops just one person from going through the expense and heartache of moving here it will be worthwhile.

The OP might just be going through a blues stage and might well in 6 months' time be posting of the "best move I ever made" but the number of people who post similar threads, and wish their lives away waiting to go home is both sad and shocking.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
People reckon it takes at least 2 years then it falls into place. It's like someone's supposed to flick a magic switch and it all starts to 'fit'. Well, it didn't for us.
I have to say that I wouldn't waste two years of my life waiting for homesickness to go. If I was that depressed I'd be off somewhere else within 6 months. (And there springs another piece of advice....build in the price of your return into your migration costs)

BTW can anyone tell me why when I edit the quote it no longer looks nice and appears as QUOTE?

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 11th 2007 at 9:10 am. Reason: fixed the quote for you :)
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I have to say that I wouldn't waste two years of my life waiting for homesickness to go. If I was that depressed I'd be off somewhere else within 6 months. (And there springs another piece of advice....build in the price of your return into your migration costs)

BTW can anyone tell me why when I edit the quote it no longer looks nice and appears as QUOTE?

There's a tag missing from the bottom. It should say /[ quote ] without the spaces
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
There's a tag missing from the bottom.
Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stardust
Hello everyone
Well I don't want this post to sound negative but can't stop thinking about going home even though couldn't wait to get out here.
Australia is a beautiful country. We are living in Sydney near Cronulla a really nice part of the country. Love the beaches, love the weather but missing my mum and dad so much.
Both me and my husband are finding it so hard without the support of the grandparents looking after the kids. Kids really missing their grandparents too. My daughter cries for her nana all the time which makes me feel really awful.
Kids have started school which they actually like which is good. I am still not working, maybe I will feel better when I do, hope so.
found the whole thing about Australians working shorter hours a bit of a myth. My husband and other friends and family work in Sydney and generally finish about 6.30 - 7.00pm the same if not later than UK, so things on that score not that much different really. In general find the wages lower but frustratingly house prices higher. But then suppose this depends on the area. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia I suppose
We have been to Australia before on a long holiday and loved it but really think I mixed up enjoying a place to holiday rather than actually living here.
Really don't want to put people off coming, think if you want to do it you should go for it even if you end up coming home at least you have tried!
ah mate, all I can say is, if you checked 90% of BE members post around the 2-3 month stage they would all be exactly the same. YOu are definitely right about work being harder and property being more expensive than what most of us thought, welcome to real Oz. I'm having a bit of a downer at the moment and I am 6 months in but it comes and goes and I think like everyone says you have to give it time, give it 12 months at least. I know its hard but nothing good ever comes easy or so they say. So chin up and hang in there xxxx
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

aw, I really feel for you and how you are feeling right now.

When I felt this 'sickness', nothing could console me. What I had to do was give myself a talking to and a big kick up the arse. I would take myself off to somwhere really beautiful, just sit and people watch. By the time I got home my mood had lifted and it would be alittle more bearable.

We came home after 8mths and have been back for 2. Now we are heading back, hopefully it will be better this time round, knowing what to expect and look out for is half the battle I guess.

Mandy
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:33 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you've found some work Stu, good luck with it.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by wafc
I know what you mean, we're at the three month stage now and its been hard with missing all of our family and friends and I've often thought about wanting to return to the UK. Its not made it easier as we're both struggling to find work, although I've just secured a 12 month contract and start this week so hopefully that will help me to meet new people and make a few friends.

We're going to do our best to give it at least 2 years though and then see how things are from then.

Good luck anyway and just keep plugging away at it for a while, things may get better with time.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Great to hear you've found some work Stu, good luck with it.

Lou
xx
Cheers Lou, hopefully things may be a little easier from now on!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wafc
I know what you mean, we're at the three month stage now and its been hard with missing all of our family and friends and I've often thought about wanting to return to the UK. Its not made it easier as we're both struggling to find work, although I've just secured a 12 month contract and start this week so hopefully that will help me to meet new people and make a few friends.

We're going to do our best to give it at least 2 years though and then see how things are from then.

Good luck anyway and just keep plugging away at it for a while, things may get better with time.
Do you mind me asking what line of work you are in, or wernt in for 12 months. I'm very worried about getting work in Perth?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
We've stayed because I'm studying for a degree. It's the only thing that's kept me going through this crap. It's like a mantra "I will return home with something. It won't be a waste of time."

I have 20 months left to do.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:48 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone
Well I don't want this post to sound negative but can't stop thinking about going home even though couldn't wait to get out here.
Australia is a beautiful country. We are living in Sydney near Cronulla a really nice part of the country. Love the beaches, love the weather but missing my mum and dad so much.
Both me and my husband are finding it so hard without the support of the grandparents looking after the kids. Kids really missing their grandparents too. My daughter cries for her nana all the time which makes me feel really awful.
Kids have started school which they actually like which is good. I am still not working, maybe I will feel better when I do, hope so.
found the whole thing about Australians working shorter hours a bit of a myth. My husband and other friends and family work in Sydney and generally finish about 6.30 - 7.00pm the same if not later than UK, so things on that score not that much different really. In general find the wages lower but frustratingly house prices higher. But then suppose this depends on the area. Sydney is the biggest city in Australia I suppose
We have been to Australia before on a long holiday and loved it but really think I mixed up enjoying a place to holiday rather than actually living here.
Really don't want to put people off coming, think if you want to do it you should go for it even if you end up coming home at least you have tried!

i am so sorry to read how unhappy you are after two months,i am uncertain myself about my own wife,she his very close to her mother and father so i can understand how you are feeling.luckily we have had no help from them over the years , to be honest they are a selfish pair of baskets...
so for me that has worked to our advantage..
i think that some of the grandparents i see at school picking their grand kids up are fantastic,how nice for the kids and the grand parents..i can see how you miss that,i think if we had,had the help you have,i would not even be going.

perhaps you should set a date and if you have not turned the corner ,go back to what makes you and all your family happy,including your mother and father...

life is far,far, to short..you must do what makes your life easier and happier...

wishing you all the best..

marcus

Last edited by aston man; Mar 11th 2007 at 12:53 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
i am so sorry to read how unhappy you are after two months,i am uncertain myself about my own wife,she his very close to her mother and father
So knowing this fact, what happens if Mrs Aston Man wants to go home after a couple of months....and you don't? Just wondering as it's a very common occurence.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone
We have been here in Sydney for 5 months now and we are going home next month, we have found alot of things here to be no better than in the UK, many worse, sometimes you just know that it is not for you!!

I agree with you it is a nice place for a holiday, but living here is VERY different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.