Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Been here just over three weeks

Been here just over three weeks

Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the rough
Default Been here just over three weeks

Hi all -
My husband and I have been in Queensland for just over three weeks in an area called Parkinson. I thought I would share a few of our experiences since we have been here.
The first day we got our tax file numbers which was very straight forward and were told that they would be put in the post to us. The same day we bought a car for about $11,000 including three year warranty. For the rest of the week we saw about 30-40 houses (some of the them not too nice) but eventually we found our dream house which is 4 beds and has an above ground swimming pool. One thing that we have learnt is that in the contracts you put together when buying a house you must put subject to everything. Ie subject to a pool being put in, subject to this and that. This means that if a pool can't be put in you can pull out. If its not in the contract then its tough luck!!
Also for those of you buying you may get a reduction in the stamp duty you have to pay depending on your circumstances. Also some states have a first time buyers grant that you may be entitled to!
My husband found work quickly but I have struggled a little - although it is still early days.
I have found to do even the simplest of jobs they want the earth!!
We have bought many things for our new house and it definately is worth shopping about! Many of the supermarket chains have new offers each week!
Also incase people don't know there is a thing called 'layby' which means for a few dollars you can put an item aside and pay it off each week until it is paid for.
For those of you on the way over to this area is has rained for the last week and a half on and off so everything looks very green - compared to when we got here.
We are really enjoying our new life and have no regrets.
Hope some of this helps
The Lunnons
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future
Default Re: Been here just over three weeks

Thankyou for writing such a good thread, it was real good to read. I love hearing bout how everyone settles in, and their different experiences.
Hope you're real happy out there FB xx
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:28 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this info. I too love hearing about other peoples experiences.
Good Luck to you all.
Julie
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Good of you to take time out and write this post! Nice for people to read about first few weeks experiences

Glad you have found your 'dream house' realise how lucky you are! Your hubby has a job - thats a bonus too! Good luck with your job hunting!

Enjoy your new life to the full

Take care

Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Very nice post, glad to hear you are settleing so well.

Claire