Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been here a few weeks now...

been here a few weeks now...

Old May 11th 2004, 3:13 am
Just Joined

lind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default been here a few weeks now...

Ive not posted for months but I thought I would let everyone hear about our experiences since we arrived!!!

Well we arrived in Melbourne middle of March to stay with relatives - flew with Cathay Pacific who were good, especially as our son got 4 goodie bags all in all (and spent a lot of time plugged into the games!!)

Within the first week hubby got a job, we took driving licence tests, bought a car, and son started a temporary school!! So didn't have time to realise we were jet lagged!

We managed to get some time off and went to Mallacoota for a week - beautiful place. Highly recommend it for the serious twitchers among you.

Stayed at the relatives for 3 more weeks - where we saw snakes in the garden, BIG spiders, kangaroos, and heard the resident possum every night!

Grace brothers delivered our belongings (we'd used doree bonner- excellent) to a house we have rented for a year- all in perfect condition.

So here we are now - in a place called Eltham - son has started a new school close to home - and me to get work now!

Obviously things have gone fairly smoothly, but have had major moments of "oh my god what have we done!!!"

Anyway...that was a flying intro to our experiences!

Linda
Old May 11th 2004, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to Melbourne Linda. There's plenty of expats down here...in fact you just missed a meet up on Saturday.

Regards
Old May 11th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post Linda, congrats on settling well and all the best.

Your hubby was lucky to get a job so quickly upon arrival, would love to know his line of trade.

It wud be helpful, and give a glimmer of hope to all us guys still waiting to make the move,and getting the "job" .

Sarah
Old May 11th 2004, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: been here a few weeks now...

Great Post! Its lovely to hear from people who have made the move. How is your son finding school over there, is he finding friends? Glad to hear you like it. Well Done!
Old May 11th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to read your adventures so far, and that you are settling in your new home.

Good luck and be happy

Whisky
Old May 11th 2004, 9:35 am
Just Joined

lind is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies

My son is in the second school hes been at since we got here and seems to be taking it in his stride(hes 6)...so far!! We had to move him as we moved too far from our relatives. The other kids just seem very helpful and friendly from what he has said.

Hubby is a telephone engineer and we were worried about his work..but he hounded firms until they gave him an interview over the phone in uk...then went to see them when we arrived.

I'm a nurse so will look for casual work that fits in with school hours...hopefully!

Will let you know how I get on.....am a bit bored with the unpacking now!