Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

Wikiposts

been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:04 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

I love these aussie drivers so easy to wind up.

Take this morning as we leave our street we go into a school zone which is 40 k's which I abide to but today I had a middle aged women inches from the rear bumper waving her arms, thumping the steering wheel and lots of shouting the more she did this the slower I went. I got down to 31 k's by the end of the school zone where it splits into 2 lanes as she pulled by the side of me I smiled, flicked her the v's and told her to F OFF she then proceeded to speed off up the road at well over the speed limit.

As you say where is the cop car when you need one and this is not a isolated incident.

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yip!! I had a guy right behind me coming up to a roundabout tonight, and just before the roundabout it splits into 2 lanes. In that 50 metres, he pulled out, overtook, and pulled in again, with inches to spare. And I was doing over the speed limit, in the rain, in the dark, so he must have been doing double that.

And that is not an isolated incident.

Wheres the speed cops when you need them?

JTL
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:14 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I love these aussie drivers so easy to wind up.

Take this morning as we leave our street we go into a school zone which is 40 k's which I abide to but today I had a middle aged women inches from the rear bumper waving her arms, thumping the steering wheel and lots of shouting the more she did this the slower I went. I got down to 31 k's by the end of the school zone where it splits into 2 lanes as she pulled by the side of me I smiled, flicked her the v's and told her to F OFF she then proceeded to speed off up the road at well over the speed limit.

As you say where is the cop car when you need one and this is not a isolated incident.
The old "harder you try, the slower I go" trick, one of my favourites.
Driving out to the mountains last sunday, boganboy in his shiney ute came racing up behind us and started flashing his lights immediately. As Jules was driving, I reached back and picked up my camera. Making a show of what I was doing I proceeded to take shots of the guy getting aggro.
As we pulled over to let him buy we gave him a big smile and wave. The look on his face was classic.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:12 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Sorry ..... but if you stick to the limit and don't try and beat red lights , there wouldn't be a problem........

Them's the rules........love plum

ps Come live by me .....double demerit points on school holidays .......loose your licence in one trip....... :scared:

Last edited by the plumber; Jun 8th 2005 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving home the other week I passed an accident where there was a lorry on its side. Under the lorry was a car a quarter of its normal height. Someone I work with was going hom on the M5. An idiot driving over the speed limit lost control of his ute and the bloke collided with him. By the pictures he is lucky to be alive let alone uninjured. I personally get pissed off by drivers crossing over the line on to pedestrian crossings. I don't mind walking around but those pushing prams have to get nearer passing traffic.

The point is these laws are there for a reason and those who want to speed should suffer the consequences, slow down and stop whining.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Count yourselves lucky if they warn you. In South Africa, they sit behind bushes just lying in wait for you to exceed the speed limit with absolutely no warning whatsoever and with very little recourse if you think you have been unfairly prosecuted. We thought it was fantastic that they have brightly painted speed cameras here in the UK - great philosophy, speed until you see a bright yellow camera, slow down for short distance, then speed up again!
That's how speed cameras should be. I always thought that having brightly painted speed cameras is ludicrous...talk about mollycoddled.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:05 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

there is no warnings of cameras at all here, they all hide in unmarked cars and bushes like you said, they are all out to get you, i swear!

Yes I totally agree, its far more dangerous constantly looking at your speedo, i am so paranoid now, after having a go at JC for speeding and getting the fine, I am more aware of looking at it, and its so easy to start creeping over 60k......

I also agree,the drivers here are really bad and really rude, I am very scared to drive here compared to the UK, I tell you they would rather ram into your back end than, move accross and let you into the lane, thats what really gets to me!!

The cops are too busy fining people who are safe driviers for minial things, when they could be out catchin the real baddies who cause accidents.......

Anyway, We have written a letter to them asking them to let him off witht he red light thing as he didnt run it, it wasn't at a crossing, and the reason he was over the line was cos he had taken a wrong turn and indicated to go into the other lane, people woulnt move accross and he got jammed in there and couldnt reverse, so that is the reason why he had his wheels over the line!!!!

So hopefully they will let him off and we will know for next time not to go over the line....untill then we will keep crawling along at 60k looking at our speedos

laura
x
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:07 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
The old "harder you try, the slower I go" trick, one of my favourites.
Driving out to the mountains last sunday, boganboy in his shiney ute came racing up behind us and started flashing his lights immediately. As Jules was driving, I reached back and picked up my camera. Making a show of what I was doing I proceeded to take shots of the guy getting aggro.
As we pulled over to let him buy we gave him a big smile and wave. The look on his face was classic.

i love it! a friend and I used to get our baps out at people with road rage, that was a funny one (when we were youngger)

must try the camera one tho!

laura
x
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:36 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
I also agree,the drivers here are really bad and really rude
i noticed that if you weren't going at EXACTLY the speed limit (you could just be going a tad under the speed limit for fear of getting zapped) you'd get some plonker right up yer bumper. Also if you don't move EXACTLY when traffic lights go green you get a horn blast - and not just one beep - either one loooooong one or it ended up like some sort of tune!!!!

D D
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

Very interesting read. I totally get where some of you are coming from, I too don’t always stick to the speed limit, who does? However, if you get caught then what can you expect, you were fully aware of the law when you broke it and who are you to determine what percentage going over is okay 5%, 10%? I wonder if someone was just over the drinking limit or just broke the law a little that would be okay too. I guess non of the people on this site have had a child run over and died when the driver way just going 5 miles over the speed limit and that was the difference between life and death. Or had a family member horribly injured and everyone else in the cars killed because someone was going too fast. There is an advert here in the UK that 2 children a day are killed on London roads because people are driving too fast and can’t stop in time. I am sure these laws are there for a reason and maybe if you can’t control your car at a certain speed without constantly looking, you shouldn’t be driving. Just playing devils advocate here but we don’t get to choose which laws we like and which we don’t. As for Aussie drivers, I am thinking, have you been on the M25 recently? Try having someone a meter from your bumper when you are doing 70 miles an hour. The normal speed on this road is about 90 miles and hour and still you see people doing well over 100. I don’t mind speed so much as people driving so close. But I have to say something happens to people when you put them behind a wheel, I had a lady in Tesco’s car park that wouldn’t let me out and proceeded to hurl abuse at me, she then rolled down her window and shouted just because I had the audacity of thinking about edging out – I was no where near the line of cars at the time. I’m afraid when it comes to driving there is no perfect place. People should try and keep things in perspective. However thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:50 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
i noticed that if you weren't going at EXACTLY the speed limit (you could just be going a tad under the speed limit for fear of getting zapped) you'd get some plonker right up yer bumper. Also if you don't move EXACTLY when traffic lights go green you get a horn blast - and not just one beep - either one loooooong one or it ended up like some sort of tune!!!!

D D

I had the same thing waiting behind a tram the other day. was waiting for the tram doors to shut, as I believe the law states you have to before you can pass, and this woman driving the car behind me was beeping the car horn and waving her arms impatiently
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:02 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

International Injury & Fatality Statistics

Impatience - lose it.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

tractor boy will become famous soon enoughtractor boy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hello

We have only been here in Melly for 4 months now and JC has already been fined $205 for going 9 k over the speed limit and $205 for running a red light, when all he did was stop over the line, and has had 6 penalty points, at this rate we will be penniless and licenceless by the end of the year!

It makes me so mad, that they can fine you and demerrit you when you stopped at the light, but where over the line, and also that they all hide out to zap you for speeding! Its so easy to start riding over the speed limit without relising.

I would defo advise buying a car with cruise control............

anyone else had this?????

laura
x
Dont bother with criuse control, just got done wilst going down hill with cruise control on car picked up 12 k per hour, and thats 1 piont and a $100,
and I was being careful I though, used to be a fast driver back in UK.
My wife drives all weekend now its cheaper!!!!!!!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shellfish
That's how speed cameras should be. I always thought that having brightly painted speed cameras is ludicrous...talk about mollycoddled.
I always thought that the point of speed cameras was to PREVENT speeding!!! Where we used to live in the UK there was an abundance of them, brightly painted, you had NO option but to stick to the limit or know you faced a fine...

Over here the police hide in bushes and so on, snapping away and MAKING MONEY, does this prevent speeding, not in my opinion, it's all down to luck and taking a chance! I know, I've just got a $50 fine for doing 6k's over the limit on Whitfords... I can't complain, I was stupid! Christ, they tell you on the radio where the radars are over here!

I love Australia, and i love my Australian friends, they are warm and thoughtful, amazing people, but put them behind the wheel of their 4x4's and they are different people! and they know this, we laugh about it... driving over here is like driving in France, but at least the French are stylish!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:06 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

On a slightly different note, I got pulled the other day on my bike for an incorrect sized number plate, shocking, I know, the fed got out of his car with that look.

"Hello Sir, that plate is a bit small isn't it"?
"Yes I said"
"Did you fit that"?
"Yes"
"Why"
"Cos it looks better than that barge board it came fitted with"

So, then he gets his tape measure out. I wouldn't bother I said, mate, you know and I know it's illegal so just give me the ticket please.
Nice to meet someone so honest, makes a change he says.
So I'll give you a £30 fine, no points, thanks I said.
Yes we're having a clamp down on this blah blah......
Mate, you didn't nick the trout in her Volvo that pulled out in front of my 3 day old bike a few years ago, you just offered her a driver corrective course where she just drives around for a couple of hours, watches a vid and that's it.
Aah... but that would have cost her £100.
Yeah whatever mate, she lashes out £100, I'll have a metal plate put in me shoulder then for me trouble, thanks. Nearly killed her kid who was on the other side of the window that my head went through.
Erm, yes, well....shuffle shuffle.

Hence the reason why I can't get excited about displaying a small number plate, just give me the ticket.

After I left the copper and got home, I realised that he has given me the wrong copy of the ticket, no address to send the fine to....oops!.....what to do
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:23 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Sydney speed cameras are a racket. My wife got fined twice within the same MINUTE because the cameras were on different 'roads' which actually formed a straight road. That cost about $350 and 5 points for a few kms over PLUS the speed limits change constantly from road to road. And bank holiday is couble demerit point time! Yey! You have to be very careful not to lose your licence. And yet the main problems seem to be on the small suburban roads where hoons screech around short distances at high acceleration...and no speed enforcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.