Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:21 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

Hello

We have only been here in Melly for 4 months now and JC has already been fined $205 for going 9 k over the speed limit and $205 for running a red light, when all he did was stop over the line, and has had 6 penalty points, at this rate we will be penniless and licenceless by the end of the year!

It makes me so mad, that they can fine you and demerrit you when you stopped at the light, but where over the line, and also that they all hide out to zap you for speeding! Its so easy to start riding over the speed limit without relising.

I would defo advise buying a car with cruise control............

anyone else had this?????

laura
x
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:29 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: been here 4 months and already 6 point and 2 fines!

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hello

We have only been here in Melly for 4 months now and JC has already been fined $205 for going 9 k over the speed limit and $205 for running a red light, when all he did was stop over the line, and has had 6 penalty points, at this rate we will be penniless and licenceless by the end of the year!

It makes me so mad, that they can fine you and demerrit you when you stopped at the light, but where over the line, and also that they all hide out to zap you for speeding! Its so easy to start riding over the speed limit without relising.

laura
x
Get Montu to drive in future Give her a cuddle for me..

You up to anything over the weekend ?- fancy a drink/welcome to stay at ours
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:33 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

laura
x
I do remember seeing a similar post - probably last yr, but can't remember who the speed demon was

I am going to have to lose weight off my right foot to avoid being in a similar situation though.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

laura
x
I heard they are quite keen, especially in Melbourne. I like the way they have cameras at traffic lights to get those who go through on red, and speed-cameras in the same spot to catch those who dash through (speeding) on amber. Genius

This is one of the reasons I don't plan on buying a car when I (finally) get there.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:54 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
I heard they are quite keen, especially in Melbourne. I like the way they have cameras at traffic lights to get those who go through on red, and speed-cameras in the same spot to catch those who dash through (speeding) on amber. Genius

This is one of the reasons I don't plan on buying a car when I (finally) get there.
But you are forewarned - there are signs telling you where cameras are..

Unless of course you are going so fast you don't see the sign
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:59 am
PommieLeague

Hello

laura
x
Ahhh welcome to Noddyland where silly laws persist and doo gooders abide.
Btw 9km over is only 5mph! Think about it!

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hello

laura
x
Shecha...where are you!!??
I tell you Laura, the speed that Aussies go I'm surprised anyone has their bleedin' licences! They're always sitting on your ass when they could easily overtake, or they just thunder past obviously well over the limit....and that's just the 18 wheeler trucks. Sorry, had to get that out, I have a 'thing' about the scary driving here!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by logan
Shecha...where are you!!??
I tell you Laura, the speed that Aussies go I'm surprised anyone has their bleedin' licences! They're always sitting on your ass when they could easily overtake, or they just thunder past obviously well over the limit....and that's just the 18 wheeler trucks. Sorry, had to get that out, I have a 'thing' about the scary driving here!

Yip!! I had a guy right behind me coming up to a roundabout tonight, and just before the roundabout it splits into 2 lanes. In that 50 metres, he pulled out, overtook, and pulled in again, with inches to spare. And I was doing over the speed limit, in the rain, in the dark, so he must have been doing double that.

And that is not an isolated incident.

Wheres the speed cops when you need them?

JTL
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:49 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear Laura..!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

[QUOTE=lauralollipop]Hello

laura
x[/QUOTE

I dont agree with speed cameras and hidden vans but at the end of the day the law is there and there is nothing you can do about it, were in the same boat in the UK, the only way to avoid the points/fines is slow down.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:07 pm
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

laura, my mum and dad have lived on mornington peninsula for 3 years and dad has had that many fines he is nearly up to his limit, and my mum who in the uk had an unblemished driving record of 37 years has had a ticket from a hidden camera for going 5 km over limit!!! she disputed it, pointing out that she was in a jeep going up a hill and there is no way she could have been going that fast and she showed them her uk licence and they let it go!! :scared:
what is so sneaky is where they hide them, i've seen them hidden behind surf trucks and ice cream vans etc...it drives my dad crazy as you only have to be 1km over to get a fine, i reckon it makes driving more dangerous cos you are looking at your speedo all the time instead of the road!! thats my rant over, my old chap will be proud x loidy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Count yourselves lucky if they warn you. In South Africa, they sit behind bushes just lying in wait for you to exceed the speed limit with absolutely no warning whatsoever and with very little recourse if you think you have been unfairly prosecuted. We thought it was fantastic that they have brightly painted speed cameras here in the UK - great philosophy, speed until you see a bright yellow camera, slow down for short distance, then speed up again!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hello

laura
x
When we lived in Mornington a couple of years ago my hubby got caught doing just slightly above the limit driving to the local shop to get the paper, and they also caught him on the way back! Most expensive paper we've ever bought!

Then, in Queensland, again doing about 107 kph on a 100 kph limit, long straight road, no other cars seen for at least a half hour, just miles and miles of sugar cane, and a police car comes over the crest of the hill towards us and catches us on his radar!! After that, we didn't dare go over the limit, even though everyone else was overtaking us!!

Debbie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:48 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Count yourselves lucky if they warn you. In South Africa, they sit behind bushes just lying in wait for you to exceed the speed limit with absolutely no warning whatsoever and with very little recourse if you think you have been unfairly prosecuted. We thought it was fantastic that they have brightly painted speed cameras here in the UK - great philosophy, speed until you see a bright yellow camera, slow down for short distance, then speed up again!
The mobile black boxes are a lot harder to spot if the "safety van " is well hidden .
Still Had the falcon i used in oz last year almost flat out in the out back ,just lucky no cops about
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:51 pm
Merlot

Hello

laura
x
Bugger, I'll watch my step on my return.

Bad luck for you though, hope everything else is OK?

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.