Reload this Page >

been in Aus for 10 days

been in Aus for 10 days

Old Dec 21st 2003, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

tosh cambridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default been in Aus for 10 days

Hi everyone

were have been here now for 10 days. After the emotional wrench from family, which was harder than anticipated. We have spent all our time looking for a house to rent, again harder than we thought, it seems that ther is an 'open house' when lots of interested parties view, then you submit your application, as do all the others, to be selected by the owners... we have submitted 3 and are still waiting.

weather and beaches fantastic... but we need somewhere to live...

missing family and sad to say british TV.

feeling a bit fed up....... but i'm sure it will get better.....

Kath
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:03 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: been in Aus for 10 days

Originally posted by tosh cambridge
Hi everyone

were have been here now for 10 days. After the emotional wrench from family, which was harder than anticipated. We have spent all our time looking for a house to rent, again harder than we thought, it seems that ther is an 'open house' when lots of interested parties view, then you submit your application, as do all the others, to be selected by the owners... we have submitted 3 and are still waiting.

Kath
G'day Kath,

Sorry to hear the house hunting isn't going as smoothly as you may have hoped. I think I was still trying to get accoustomed to the time difference in the first two weeks. It must be hard to move just before Christmas and feel unsettled you have all the emotions to deal with, without having a settled place to do it.

You will start to feel better when you find a home, fingers crossed for you.

Donna
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:14 am
gld
Forum Regular

gld is an unknown quantity at this point

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CLIENT YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY DEALT WITH THESE AND OTHER ISSUES AS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED IN YOUR CONSULTATION - IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CLIENT PLEASE ADVISE ASAP.

Suggest you make contact and speak to one of our NSW team, they may be able to help

Kind Regards
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:19 am
Badge

Default !!!!

mate as myself and Pollyanna said, you need to, at the very least, sort out that dismissive shouting at the start - now you'll certainly piss people off!!

Badge

Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think he's got the message yet Badgers??!!!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Think he's got the message yet Badgers??!!!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jirrupin
G'day Kath,

Sorry to hear the house hunting isn't going as smoothly as you may have hoped. I think I was still trying to get accoustomed to the time difference in the first two weeks. It must be hard to move just before Christmas and feel unsettled you have all the emotions to deal with, without having a settled place to do it.

You will start to feel better when you find a home, fingers crossed for you.

Donna
Donna

Thanks Donna. you have obviously been there!!

Kath
Old Dec 21st 2003, 7:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Kath
I am not sure about Newcastle but for Sydney the Saturday Sydney morning herald and a UBD are a must for any rental property seeker. You are correct on the open house thing.

We used to pick an area, pick the properties we wanted and work out a schedule. Typically the houses are open 10 am to 2pm.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by gld
IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CLIENT YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY DEALT WITH THESE AND OTHER ISSUES AS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED IN YOUR CONSULTATION - IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CLIENT PLEASE ADVISE ASAP.

Suggest you make contact and speak to one of our NSW team, they may be able to help

Kind Regards

WHO IS THIS NERD AND CAN HE STOP ADVERTISING/TOUTING ON OUR FORUM?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

lizdib is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry you've been finding it hard, We've been here close to 3 months, my only advice regarding finding someone to live would be to never view places on a Saturday when everyone else does. We would collect lists of rental properties from the agents during the week then ask them to show us round a couple that day.

Sometimes the agent would simply allow us to have the key for a small deposit then we could look round at our leisure.

Good luck with the search though.

Regs,

Liz
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Ginger Whinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: been in Aus for 10 days

Kath,

Welcome to Australia. We have found that the rental market here (Melbourne) is a renters market as loads of people seem to buy to rent as part of their superannuation. Means people end up renting for much much less than a mortgage on the place would be as they rely on capital gain not rental income for the investment.

We got the only place we applied for but it took a while as agents have to contact landlords / check references etc. And agents here are about as fast as those in the UK.

We were told (after we got our place) that you can apply to pay a lower rent if you think that the market is flat. This would be fine if we were not so desparate to find somewhere of our own to live.

Good luck with it all - hope you are soon in your new place.

GW
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:15 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Kath
Please don't worry, guys. Our first couple of weeks were spent with mates, which was great, but we didn't really feel settled until we had our own place and then felt that we could start to get the ball rolling. I'm sure you'll feel more motivated then.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:34 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi everyone

Kath
Hi, about the rentals - I think half of your problem is you've landed in Aus at the wrong time of year. Christmas is the wrong time to look for rentals - I know as I've had to move house in the past (a couple of Christmases ago) two weeks prior to Christmas. Nobody wants to move, rent out or sell this time of year for obvious reasons.... Christmas, holiday time.

I had terrible trouble finding a place during this season a few years back . What I did was to take the first house I saw as we needed a place fast( old fibro dog box) and signed up for the shortest possible lease - 3 month contract. You can get three month leases if the house is for sale.

You'll probably find the rental market will have far more houses in February - The Christmas period is not the best time to find accommodation, whether it is for rent, or for sale you are looking for.

Have you gone around all the estate agents to put your name down with them? ie as soon as there's a rental available they will phone you up.

Anyway things could be worse, you could be stuck in Brisbane - Take a deep sigh and go for a walk along Stockton Beach, ahh ( used to live down in Newcastle and quite agree with you about the scenery.)

Again back to the rentals - try just outside main Newcastle for now - Have you tried the Cardiff area? Another suggestion, try Swansea and the Belmont area- when I was in Swansea there were a few rentals that were leased out just for the Summer holidays (peoples second homes)

Anyway, what I've found in the past - this time of year is not the best time to look for rentals - there always seems a shortage of accommodation around this period of time. So if you're staying with friends (and not a motel) - don't worry about it, impose on them a bit longer - you should see rentals pick up early next year after the holiday period.

good luck
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Not sure on your cash/job situation either.

If you don't have jobs or visible means of employment then you will be marked down in a landlords eyes against those with jobs.

We had the luxury of a bit aof cash in the bank and when we had been knocked back for a couple of places we then took the option of printing out a bank statement with our funds clearly shown, and offerring to pay 6 months rental up front. This worked!

Like I say your situation may be different, but look at your application in the eyes of a prosective landlord and sell yourself the best way you can (even if it means telling them you're desparate).
Of course the rider to this is that you still need to make sure the place is right for you. Your firdt months here are going to be stressful and full of as many downs as ups. You're not going to help yourself by leaping at an inappropriate accomodation.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone

Have been reading through the helpful threads that have been posted and would like to thank everyone for their advice.

Have successfully found a place to rent, a bit expensive but is worth it for the view, over the lake.

I am lucky to be starting work soon so could show my contract and yes we offered to pay a few months up front.

moving in on 10th Jan. so hopfully will start to feel settled then.

thanks again
Kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.