Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beds and mattresses ......

Beds and mattresses ......

Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Beds and mattresses ......

Just new to this site, but finding it very useful and helpful.

Trying to find out what the bed sizes are over in Oz. We have a super kingsize bed (6ft x 6ft 6 I think), and are trying to decide whether to take it with us or not. The mattress would get binned and we plan to buy a new one when we get there. So far all I can find out is that they have double and queen size (which I think is the same as king size here), so looks like I might be leaving the bed. Can anyone help with this one ?

Thanks
Linz
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:33 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beds and mattresses ......

Originally Posted by BillnLinz

Trying to find out what the bed sizes are over in Oz. We have a super kingsize bed (6ft x 6ft 6 I think), and are trying to decide whether to take it with us or not. The mattress would get binned and we plan to buy a new one when we get there. So far all I can find out is that they have double and queen size (which I think is the same as king size here), so looks like I might be leaving the bed. Can anyone help with this one ?

Thanks
Linz
hi linz sorry cant help with your Q's but welcome to the forum anyway

where abouts are you heading for?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:36 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Linz
Hi Linz and welcome to the forum.

I think these may be right, if not someone will come along and correct me!!

Doubles (4 foot 6)
Queen's (5 foot wide)
Kings (6 foot wide)

Not sure about a single though, I'll keep searching and let you know!

D D

Found it!

Single 3' x 6'2'' 92 x 188cm

King Single 3'6'' x 6'8'' 107 x 203cm

Extra Long Single 3' x 6'8'' 92 x 203cm

Three Quarter Single 3'6'' x 6'2'' 107 x 188cm

Double 4'6'' x 6'2'' 138 x 188cm

Queen 5' x 6'8' 153 x 203cm

King 6' x 6'8'' 167 x 203cm

Last edited by DollyDaydream; Nov 10th 2004 at 3:42 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kelli28
hi linz sorry cant help with your Q's but welcome to the forum anyway

where abouts are you heading for?

Hoping to head for Brisbane in the middle of next year. Got friends out there so thought that would help with the settling in.

What about you ?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi Linz and welcome to the forum.

I think these may be right, if not someone will come along and correct me!!

Doubles (4 foot 6)
Queen's (5 foot wide)
Kings (6 foot wide)

Not sure about a single though, I'll keep searching and let you know!

D D

Found it!

Single 3' x 6'2'' 92 x 188cm

King Single 3'6'' x 6'8'' 107 x 203cm

Extra Long Single 3' x 6'8'' 92 x 203cm

Three Quarter Single 3'6'' x 6'2'' 107 x 188cm

Double 4'6'' x 6'2'' 138 x 188cm

Queen 5' x 6'8' 153 x 203cm

King 6' x 6'8'' 167 x 203cm

Cheers for that DD, so it looks like we might be able to take our bed after all ! Starting to get upset that we might need to get used to a double again after all the space we have !

Linz
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:52 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping to head for Brisbane in the middle of next year. Got friends out there so thought that would help with the settling in.

What about you ?
we are also heading for bris (bayside) hopefully around june time
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:24 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Linz
Beds are the same size, but in Australia the measurements are in metric (centimetres, usually, for bedding). Most shop assistants under the age of about 35 or even a bit older will be completely clueless about the old units, and even the older ones won't be thinking in feet and inches any more, so hone up on your metric skills!