Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Becoming a registered nurse Gold Coast

Becoming a registered nurse Gold Coast

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Becoming a registered nurse Gold Coast

We are in the UK and have a permanent visa which we have validated.
My 19 year old daughter is completing her A levels and is making enquires to becoming a registered nurse in Queensland. She has found out she needs to complete year 12 with passes in English and Biology to gain entry to Griffith University to complete a Bachelor of Nursing degree.
Can you advise her please if the university will accept her UK “A” level exams results and convert them to a Queensland OP rank. (not sure on this)
Has anyone else become a registered nurse in Australia without gaining any Australian qualifications.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of
Default Re: Becoming a registered nurse Gold Coast

Southern cross university, at Tweed heads (south end of goldy) or Lismore do a 12 week prep course that will get you on the nursing course via direct application

completed the prep course myself and now half way through first semester in nursing
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:06 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shycouple2009
We are in the UK and have a permanent visa which we have validated.
My 19 year old daughter is completing her A levels and is making enquires to becoming a registered nurse in Queensland. She has found out she needs to complete year 12 with passes in English and Biology to gain entry to Griffith University to complete a Bachelor of Nursing degree.
Can you advise her please if the university will accept her UK “A” level exams results and convert them to a Queensland OP rank. (not sure on this)
Has anyone else become a registered nurse in Australia without gaining any Australian qualifications.
Contact the University directly, they may be able to provide this information. As it's a centrally run process, QTAC, it may be easier to speak with Griffith directly. If she has the equivilent quals then they may offer her a place.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

thanks for advice
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oz miller man
Southern cross university, at Tweed heads (south end of goldy) or Lismore do a 12 week prep course that will get you on the nursing course via direct application

completed the prep course myself and now half way through first semester in nursing
any chance you could send me the link for the prep course you did please
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Its called the preparing for success program
http://www.scu.edu.au/preparingforsuccess/

also check the working abroad, nursing section of this forum.
I think it was "Kporte" who was asking about nurse training on the Goldcoast recently, i posted more information about the prep and nursing course on there.

give me shout if you need any more info
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:29 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,

I am planning to do my nurse training when i return to Australia, currently on vacation in the UK. I want to be a mental health nurse, reckon it was always my destiny.

I also want to do my training on the Gold Coast, i will be living in Benowa.

Can i ask, what sort of costs are involved, i am a permanent resident of Australia, mature student post 40. No nursing or caring experience. Will i get on the course, if so what are the enrolment dates each year?
I already have a degree in Engineering, not that it is of any use to nursing, but does it count to getting on an academic course in Australia?

Cheers Keith
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Yes,

I am planning to do my nurse training when i return to Australia, currently on vacation in the UK. I want to be a mental health nurse, reckon it was always my destiny.

Can i ask, what sort of costs are involved, i am a permanent resident of Australia, mature student post 40. No nursing or caring experience. Will i get on the course, if so what are the enrolment dates each year?
I already have a degree in Engineering, not that it is of any use to nursing, but does it count to getting on an academic course in Australia?

Cheers Keith
K Moon,

i will copy n paste what i posted before on the nursing thread then add some more

"i have just started my nurse training as a 37 year old male just over the border at southern cross university Lismore. Complete career change for me, was so fed up with the licencing issues and having to retrain in a trade i had been doing for 20 years i have decided to follow in my partners footsteps. this is how i got on-
Competition for places is high, my initial application was for the mid year start of 2009. unfortinatly lives & work experience didnt get me an offer. SCU do a preparation for Uni course, this gives you the required points to apply direct to the uni. This was well well worth it, 12 weeks full time (3 days a week in school) learning all about essay writing, critical thinking, research, using computers and exam prep. The course is pretty full on but the results are that your at least 6 months in front of the other students when you start...it also gives you a taste to see if you are ready for full undergrad study. It dose not cost anything and i highly recommend. I completed mine over the summer, unfortunately when finished there was only 2 weeks before the start of the Uni year- not enough time for the results to be processed and as i said with competition for places i missed out on my first choice of Tweed heads.(although results are said to count, 4 distinctions didnt get me my first choice)
Still, i got the place at lismore and am 9 weeks into it. Some differences as to how my partner did it via school of nursing in the UK, more self directed learning here, full time and your only in class 8 hours a week, add 5 hours of lectures on top (that 80% dont go too) and only 2 weeks on prac placement means that you are forever reading at home. i think it would be hard to do full time and still work so you need to have a fair bit of support from the rest of the family.
SCU costs just over $5000 a year, payment can be differed onto your tax if you are a citizen, not if like me you only have PR ($2600- upfront 1st term)....although i did pass my citizenship test yesterday...yippie.
For text books, uniform, police check n jabs add at least another $1000 on top for the 3years.
Theres plenty of mature students so dont worry about that and this year was the highest SCU had for male applicants at around 25%., apart from the 3 hour round trip to lismore im loving it, the prep course has made this first semester a breeze. Although by comparison to how its done in the UK, i wish i had done it there: no tuition fees, paid bursary, lots more prac & more class time...but from what i gather with university study it is to just do whats required to pass the assessments and although i dont feel like im learning much, so far im doing ok."
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Yes,

Cheers Keith
Like you i have had no previous experience and am looking to work in the mental health side of nursing.
how it works out here is you do 3 years nurse training then an extra year to specialize in mental health...this puts a lot of new-grads off mental health so its a side of nursing that is in demand.

definitely do the prep course first, not sure QLD uni (griffith??) do the same sort of thing but the one done at tweed will only get you a place at SCU. The campus at Tweed heads is quite small so competition for places is high.
Lismore would be an option, they do a Feb start and a mid year start. lots do it part time, this would keep the costs down along with the travel time if you had to go to lismore.
For a PR it will cost you about $600 a subject, full time is 8 units per year. what you need is 24 units to become qualified so its up to you how long it will take.

Now is the time to look at getting on the Prep course that starts at tweed in June. Full time would be 3 days a week for 12 week (3 units). They also run one through the summer so even doing the prep course part time you would be ready and eligible for a place on the nursing course for feb 2011.

let me know if you plan on doing the prep course as ive got the Text books and course information that you will need.....and the assignments
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:15 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate,

Nice one, loads of info there!!!!!!!!

To be honest, not blowing up my backside, but in the last ten years, i have spent seven at University, degree and post grad qualies, so research, writing essays, reading, computer stuff, i am pretty sure i will cope easily. I know it was all mechanical engineering based, but learning is learning, never thought i would return, i guess i am a sucker for Uni life hey?

I am returning to Australia around Christmas this year all going well, so would like to be on the Feb 2011 intake. I will, well am a PR, i will be living down the road to Surfers, Ashmore/Benowa etc. I will not own a car, so will need to get to Uni by foot/bike/public transport. I will not be working part time, just studying, and chasing the student nurses around the hospitals?

I will have to apply for the course from the UK, which could present a problem, what are your thoughts? Any tips on what i should do?

So 42 years old, quite bright, will be in the UK for the rest of 2010, living in and around the Gold Coast Jan 2010, PR visa. Reckon i will be alright?

Mental nursing will be my focus, just interests me, moreso than engineering, helps aswell, the better looking half is a nurse RGN, with 16 years experience, so all good for help with homework?

Keith
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

mate,

i think it is one of the best careers you could have in Australia, pays enough to have a good standard of life, a lot less stressful than nursing in the Uk or so the other half says and the big plus is you can live anywhere you fancy.

Griffith university on the goldy sounds like the best spot for you but i would also put in a application for Tweed heads to give you a second option.
you need to check both Southern cross university and QLD university web sites for course details but both will require you to apply via the UAC or QTAC. These are independent application boards who basically assess your application...unlike England where a good face to face interview with the head of the school of nursing will get you an offer...here its all down to that application. I got knocked back with My application due to my advanced city and guilds been done over 15 years ago, the constant updating of skills, corgi and running my own company didnt stand for much either. I think as you have a degree from the last 10 years you may be ok, if not dont let it put you off, do the prep course sail through that then start in the mid year.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:09 pm
Banned

Oky Doky,

Thanks for the tips.

Graduated from my first degree 2001, so not too distant past, spent four years as a post grad research student/research engineer, so should be alright with regards to education.

Have to admit, would be easier to do here, well cheaper not easier, but cost versus climate, Shielas versus Sharons, bronze versus lilly white?

I prefer the tanned look when the student nurse is checking my pulse?

Cheers mate. Keith
Old May 1st 2010, 8:40 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Oky Doky,

Thanks for the tips.

Graduated from my first degree 2001, so not too distant past, spent four years as a post grad research student/research engineer, so should be alright with regards to education.

Have to admit, would be easier to do here, well cheaper not easier, but cost versus climate, Shielas versus Sharons, bronze versus lilly white?

I prefer the tanned look when the student nurse is checking my pulse?

Cheers mate. Keith

Griffith Unviersity does Graduate entry which after a couple of short summer courses means you can complete in two years I think. Contact the Program Convenor.

Cheers

Ginny
Old May 1st 2010, 8:03 pm
Banned

Ginny Cheers.

Firstly is Griff Uni is it far from Benowa/Ashmore area, you know walking, running, sprinting, just leggin it?

Also, graduate entry onto a Nursing Program, i am a graduate, but in Mech Eng, not nursing, any thoughts?

Keith
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:19 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Ginny Cheers.

Firstly is Griff Uni is it far from Benowa/Ashmore area, you know walking, running, sprinting, just leggin it?

Also, graduate entry onto a Nursing Program, i am a graduate, but in Mech Eng, not nursing, any thoughts?

Keith

The Gold Coast Campus is located in Southport which I don't think is too far....Do a google map search..may give you an idea.

I am not too sure as I don't deal with that side of things but have a look at their website.

Try these couple of links....
http://www.griffith.edu.au/health/sc...uture-students
http://www17.griffith.edu.au/cis/p_c...162&Type=apply

Might help??

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.