Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Becoming pregnant whilst applying for visa

Becoming pregnant whilst applying for visa

Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Becoming pregnant whilst applying for visa

Hi,

at the moment we are completing our visa documentation and want to have it away as soon as the TRA stuff comes back. Now - what would happen if I got pregnant in the time it takes for the visa application to be completed, sent away and approved? Would we have to wait and have the baby here or could we progess with the application?

Also, not sure if it is important or not but we are applying for a temporary visa (SIR - 495).

Look forward to reading your advice!

Yx
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:58 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Becoming pregnant whilst applying for visa

If you get pregnant while waiting for the visa then you will almost certainly have to wait until the baby is born to have the medicals done. I'm not sure about your visa, but if it doesn't require a chest x-ray you might be ok.

If you have the medicals done and then get pregnant you could be granted your visa and then have the baby where you are or in Oz. If you have it where you are then you would need a visa for the baby.

If you have a baby while waiting for you visa then your baby would need to apply for it's own visa. Not sure how that works on temporary visas though.

And just so you know if you happen to have a baby in Australia it's given whatever visa you have. So it would not be a citizen.

I would do some researching in the Immigration section because this comes up a lot. I haven't seen this question as much on temp visas though.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice

Thanks Comet - that's a big help! The only thing I did know was that the baby would not be a Australian Citizen should it be born there.

I had a search on the forum but nothing that specific came up. Nevermind, looks like you have answered all my questions!

Thanks again!

Yvonne
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

have you thought of forwarding your medicals???? they are valid for 1yr

when are you applying for yr visa????
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

All being well we should have our TRA result around the first two weeks of July and are hoping to send the visa application off then. I'm not sure how long we would have to wait before the medicals are requested. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Yvonne
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i know for a 457 you can do yr medicals and pcc be4 you do you visa and then include them with yr application.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hitchcock - thanks for that information, very interesting. I will definitely look into that. It would be nice to have the whole lot away in one go rather than wait to be asked for them. There's enough waiting by all accounts anyway.

Thank you!

Yvonne
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sorry i dont know enough about the visa yr applying for
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:28 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure that's possible, although I've never really checked on the time expiration of visas.

Keep in mind you would then have the scenario where your medicals go in, your case is reviewed and you get your visa. Which is good. But if you're going to stick around the Uk and have the baby, the baby would need it's own visa, which is another $1000 I think.

But if you got the visa you could go to Australia and have it there. So the option is yours. I know you can send your medicals in early, but I'm just not sure if there's an expiration date. I know with permanent visas you have a year to enter the country from the date of your medicals or police checks (whichever is early). So even if you can do the medicals early you might be forcing yourself to enter the country very quickly before your visas expire.

Just something to think about. Not sure if the requirements are the same for your visa though.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:30 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Just out of curiousity....is the visa based on your skills or your boyfriend or husbands?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Comet - thanks again! We are going on my husbands skills. Does that make a difference?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

I think there might be a requirement on some of the temp visas that the sponsored person actually works for their employer. If you were the sponsored person it might be difficult to arrive pregnant and expect a long leave. But anyhow...I don't know that much about the temp visas, so not entirely sure of the requirements.

But in your case I don't think it matters what you do when you arrive. So you would be free to not work as long as you choose. Just be aware that you won't receive any sort of assistance while in Australia, even for the baby. I'm pretty sure you need to be permanent residents for that sort of thing. But I would double check. However you might be able to collect benefits in the UK if you are only in Australia temporarily. But I'm not from the UK so I don't quite know how it works there.

Last edited by comet555; Jun 28th 2007 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Colly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really niceColly-Gill is just really nice

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul
Hi,

at the moment we are completing our visa documentation and want to have it away as soon as the TRA stuff comes back. Now - what would happen if I got pregnant in the time it takes for the visa application to be completed, sent away and approved? Would we have to wait and have the baby here or could we progess with the application?

Also, not sure if it is important or not but we are applying for a temporary visa (SIR - 495).

Look forward to reading your advice!

Yx

Hi there,

Due to send off for TRA. Found out we're expecting so contacted agency who sent us an email.

When DIAC request you do your medicals and police checks we will need to inform them that Gill is pregnant and cannot complete medicals. DIAC will then give you a extension on when medicals are required.

When baby is born you will need to obtain birth certificate, passport and complete medicals for whole family. We will then advise DIAC of a change of circumstances and add another person to the application.

Hope this helps. Colin