Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beauty Therapy / Salon

Beauty Therapy / Salon

Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future
Default Beauty Therapy / Salon

Hi

I am hoping someone can answer my questions, Are there a lot of beauty salons South of Perth? Are they any good? Do any of the hairdressers rent beauty rooms out?

We are coming to Perth soon and we will be settleing South of Perth somewhere , not quite sure where yet.

Thanks for your help!

Antoinette
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beauty Therapy / Salon

I don't know about south but I have really struggled to get a decent therapist here in the northern suburbs. you should see my legs after their pitiful attempts at waxing. Looks like my legs have a bloody mohican!! Come north, I will use you!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:09 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ant, how are things going? Can't be too far away till you go now :scared:
will send you a pm.

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't know about south but I have really struggled to get a decent therapist here in the northern suburbs. you should see my legs after their pitiful attempts at waxing. Looks like my legs have a bloody mohican!! Come north, I will use you!

How far north? I am hoping to settle Hillary's way and am hoping to set up on my own (Manicure, pedicure, waxing, eyelash/eyebrow tinting, acrylic nails, facials) but looks like it will be September on for us.

Just seen you are in Sorrento very close, could be poss then
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

yeah that would be good. I miss the english quality I have to say, takes 15 mins to do a lower leg, lip and eyebrow wax. Roll on September.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

yeah that would be good. I miss the english quality I have to say, takes 15 mins to do a lower leg, lip and eyebrow wax. Roll on September.
Have they got the chocolate wax there yet. For the leg i have just started using chocolate wax, smells like melting chocolate but I still use the other wax at the moment. Shame that I am going to be down south but if you are ever day tripping down there or Shirley is on hols, Ill be there in July

Antoinette
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

the few places i have been too and believe me I have tried loads (very particular about my waxing!) use the roller thingys full of wax. They use the wooden sticks and hot wax on facial waxing which I don't have a prob with but the legs are crap.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
I am hoping to settle Hillary's way and am hoping to set up on my own (Manicure, pedicure, waxing, eyelash/eyebrow tinting, acrylic nails, facials) but looks like it will be September on for us.
Hey Shirley, let me know when you get there - I need to keep up my eyelash tinting, eyebrow waxing and facials !!

I love the E'spa products but can't find any trace of them in Oz so expect that I won't be able to get any
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Everyone can't be North of Perth, surely there are a few of you South of Perth that can help me answer my question, please!!!
It is still good to hear the opinions of people North of Perth as well, Thank you

Last edited by Ant & Kev; Mar 24th 2006 at 4:55 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

I am shortly going to be providing this service I am north of river - I will update you soon
Old Mar 25th 2006, 5:08 pm
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough

Hi, I have just recently opened my own salon on Scarborough Beach Rd. in Innaloo, pm me if you would like more details, I am actually inside Fitness First gym. You can get chocolate wax here, Rica wax have one, there is a fairly good choice of wax here, but alot of salons will use cheap stuff so it is often more painful, not as effective and really sticky. I have been doing this job 15 yrs now, so I refuse to use cheap wax, makes life too hard. But it also comes down to the therapist, and here, the therapists seem to be very laid back, the training isn't great, so they come out of college with little to no experience and are let loose on your bikini line :scared: Good luck in finding a good therapist, and to Antoinette, if you are good at what you do you won't have a problem finding work or setting up your own place, pm me if you would like any help . Deirdre
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dee & Steve
Hi, I have just recently opened my own salon on Scarborough Beach Rd. in Innaloo, pm me if you would like more details, I am actually inside Fitness First gym. You can get chocolate wax here, Rica wax have one, there is a fairly good choice of wax here, but alot of salons will use cheap stuff so it is often more painful, not as effective and really sticky. I have been doing this job 15 yrs now, so I refuse to use cheap wax, makes life too hard. But it also comes down to the therapist, and here, the therapists seem to be very laid back, the training isn't great, so they come out of college with little to no experience and are let loose on your bikini line :scared: Good luck in finding a good therapist, and to Antoinette, if you are good at what you do you won't have a problem finding work or setting up your own place, pm me if you would like any help . Deirdre

Deidre, can you give us some tips on opening your own salon - do you think it is worth owning your own business or rather working for someone - I have heard such negative thoughts about owning a business in aussie.

Yvette
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:01 pm
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
Hi

I am hoping someone can answer my questions, Are there a lot of beauty salons South of Perth? Are they any good? Do any of the hairdressers rent beauty rooms out?

We are coming to Perth soon and we will be settleing South of Perth somewhere , not quite sure where yet.

Thanks for your help!

Antoinette
Hi Antoinette, as an ex English trained hairdresser in Perth,I can tell you a lot of the salons rent space and you supply all your own gear. Or get your own space and send flyers around saying you are English trained and you will do really well. or just do mobile...The English trained hairdressers and beauticians get heaps of work Rockingham way (south) due to the large English population since the 1950's and increasing. I have now given away hairdressing and have short term rentals in Rockingham and Shoalwater. Have a look on our web page if you are interested, www.cedarcottagewa.com good luck, Will.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:03 pm
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by capacity
Deidre, can you give us some tips on opening your own salon - do you think it is worth owning your own business or rather working for someone - I have heard such negative thoughts about owning a business in aussie.

Yvette
Hi Yvette, I think it is always scary opening your own business, and there will always be pro's and cons for it. The most important thing I suppose is that you open up in a place where you dont have too much competition and that there is a demand for your trade. It all happened very quickly for me. I had no intentions of opening my own place, I mean of course I had thought about it over the years, but at the time it wasn't in my head at all. I had just left a salon as I wasn't enjoying it, and then I was walking along one day when I spotted that a new Fitness First gym had opened up here, 5 minute drive from my house. So I decided to check it out, I didnt even mention it to me husband at first. So, they had a room to lease, I could afford the rent, so I told my husband, he was cool with it and 3 weeks later I opened up. It was a mad rush finding a printer, putting together my price list and business card, coming up with a name was the hardest, every time I chose a name, I discovered it was already registered to another business. In the end I decided on Eden Beauty. It is just me, so I don't have the stress of staff. I work hours that I want, but don't think that means you get to work less hours, you don't. I work 3 late nights a week, and a full day on Saturday, but then I did get to finish early so I could go to the pub on Paddy's day, and I didn't start till 11 the next day so I wouldn't be too hungover To be honest, although setting it all up was a bit stressful, I found it all fairly straight forward. And I am lucky, being inside the gym, I have alot of clients on tap, although you dont have to be a gym member to come to me, so this is good as I do have clients from the other salon that come to me and being in Innaloo, clients come from all the surrounding suburbs also. It did cost a bit of money setting it up, your skin range is the most expensive as most opening orders are about six grand, I use Dermalogica which I find great. All I can say is make sure you think it all out really clearly. I am really enjoying being my own boss, yes you have the extra pressure of making sure you make enough to cover the bills each week, but if you are good and in a good location you will do well. If I can help with anything else feel free to ask, you can pm me also if you like. Good luck. Deirdre
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Smile Re: Beauty Therapy / Salon

Originally Posted by Dee & Steve
Hi Yvette, I think it is always scary opening your own business, and there will always be pro's and cons for it. The most important thing I suppose is that you open up in a place where you dont have too much competition and that there is a demand for your trade. It all happened very quickly for me. I had no intentions of opening my own place, I mean of course I had thought about it over the years, but at the time it wasn't in my head at all. I had just left a salon as I wasn't enjoying it, and then I was walking along one day when I spotted that a new Fitness First gym had opened up here, 5 minute drive from my house. So I decided to check it out, I didnt even mention it to me husband at first. So, they had a room to lease, I could afford the rent, so I told my husband, he was cool with it and 3 weeks later I opened up. It was a mad rush finding a printer, putting together my price list and business card, coming up with a name was the hardest, every time I chose a name, I discovered it was already registered to another business. In the end I decided on Eden Beauty. It is just me, so I don't have the stress of staff. I work hours that I want, but don't think that means you get to work less hours, you don't. I work 3 late nights a week, and a full day on Saturday, but then I did get to finish early so I could go to the pub on Paddy's day, and I didn't start till 11 the next day so I wouldn't be too hungover To be honest, although setting it all up was a bit stressful, I found it all fairly straight forward. And I am lucky, being inside the gym, I have alot of clients on tap, although you dont have to be a gym member to come to me, so this is good as I do have clients from the other salon that come to me and being in Innaloo, clients come from all the surrounding suburbs also. It did cost a bit of money setting it up, your skin range is the most expensive as most opening orders are about six grand, I use Dermalogica which I find great. All I can say is make sure you think it all out really clearly. I am really enjoying being my own boss, yes you have the extra pressure of making sure you make enough to cover the bills each week, but if you are good and in a good location you will do well. If I can help with anything else feel free to ask, you can pm me also if you like. Good luck. Deirdre
Hi Deirdre,

We are hoping to move to Brisbane later this year so I know it is a different area but any advice on Beauty salon's would be great. I am a fully qualified beaty therapist plus aromortherapy and reflexology but I haven't done beauty work for over 7 years (am in HR now). I used to have my own beauty therapy business at home in the UK and am thinking of getting back into it over in Oz. Any advice would be helpful but I wanted to know if you have to re-qualify over in Oz or whether they except UK skills?

Cheers
Old Mar 29th 2006, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Beauty Therapy / Salon

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
Hi Antoinette, as an ex English trained hairdresser in Perth,I can tell you a lot of the salons rent space and you supply all your own gear. Or get your own space and send flyers around saying you are English trained and you will do really well. or just do mobile...The English trained hairdressers and beauticians get heaps of work Rockingham way (south) due to the large English population since the 1950's and increasing. I have now given away hairdressing and have short term rentals in Rockingham and Shoalwater. Have a look on our web page if you are interested, www.cedarcottagewa.com good luck, Will.
Hi Will

Thanks for replying, I was starting to think that everyone South had disappeared!. Is there a lot of therapists in Salons South of Perth? Are the rooms to rent advertised anywhere? What made you give away hairdressing then? I currently rent a room and also have a website www.simply-radiant.co.uk and I am hoping to just convert it to OZ when we get there. I just wanted to see if I would be able to make a living there with it.
Antoinette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.