Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

beautiful! Wollongong,NSW, OZ

Wikiposts

beautiful! Wollongong,NSW, OZ

Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:02 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Never ask for directions in Wales or you will get a face full of spittle!

oh your back

hoped i had seen the last of you.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:08 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
oh your back

As had most of us....
Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:43 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by welshboybilly
oh your back

Lluyghressttunwrthwtthjkaadfggrrtteeagghttessstyyr reeee!

(It means he who chases a sheep while naked holding a cock in one hand and a leek in the other).

No seriously - I have been filling in my annual tax return, a pleasure that all peole who earn any income in Australia have to do. It gets petty to the point of being ridiculous - you have to declare any interest that you earn from your bank account that your salary is paid into by your employer. The tax office can easily get this information but you have to give it anyway.

The whole system is really in place to give people jobs in the government.

Also you declare petty things like minor work expenses. Everyone knows full well that the tax office do not check up on minor expenses and so they lie.

Last edited by Goodpubmisser; Nov 5th 2003 at 7:15 pm.

Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:46 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by PeteY
As had most of us....

The wit and humour of this guy is astounding.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:14 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

To all Brits:
There are also people who were brought to Australia from Britain as young kids who are thus fully Australianised (although the term "halfbreed" springs to mind).
I feel complimented. At least I'm halfway there. Now to get the Oz citizenship and finish the job I started nearly 40 years ago....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:27 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I have been filling in my annual tax return, a pleasure that all peole who earn any income in Australia have to do. It gets petty to the point of being ridiculous - you have to declare any interest that you earn from your bank account that your salary is paid into by your employer. The tax office can easily get this information but you have to give it anyway.

The whole system is really in place to give people jobs in the government.

Also you declare petty things like minor work expenses. Everyone knows full well that the tax office do not check up on minor expenses and so they lie.
And how long is it since you left the UK? All this stuff has been in force in the UK for several years, too.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:28 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

(It means he who chases a sheep while naked holding a cock in one hand and a leek in the other).
lol .. sorry I'm Welsh and I find this comment funny (but maybe I'm sick). Where's my leek, sorry haven't got the other thing you mentioned lol. Actually it is a made up name for tourist purposes. we just wanted a long name... NZ beats us though on the world long names but that is just a mountain.

PS you are more likely (according to some on here ) if you (an English person) ask for directions you'll get a reply "F off back to where you came from" by little old welsh dears.. now that I thought was funny too.
Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 6th 2003 at 2:53 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Erm - hate to say it but the guy does have half a point. Wollongong is heavily reliant on heavy industry that is largely becoming less labour intensive and in some cases the industry itself is dying.
Unemployment is an issue down there. However, due to the lack of affordability of Sydney housing, more and more folk are choosing the Illawarra coast for its beauty and afordability. Wollongong is playing up the affordable lifestyle aspect in in many areas re-inventing itself. the aeras to the north of the city are porving very popular with commuters.

If the local and/or federal govt could manage to pull their collective heads out of their collective arses and improve the rail infrastructure to provide faster services into Sydney from the central coast and Illawarra, they would be giving both those regions a much needed boost.

I've finished now.

actually I haven't - I've been to a pub up in that part of N Wales and got the welsh equivalent of the opening scene from American Werewolf in London. It was actually quite amusing.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:07 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by RichS

I've finished now.

actually I haven't - I've been to a pub up in that part of N Wales and got the welsh equivalent of the opening scene from American Werewolf in London. It was actually quite amusing.
Actually, American werewolf in London was filmed in Wales (the opening scene was anyway .. where it's supposed to be in some country town in England when he was walking across the moors " lol

Check it out next time you watch the film.. look at the end credits. I think I recall it was in Brecon they filmed it at . But, most definitely in the opening country pub/moor scene was filmed in Wales that much I can say for 100% sure.

P.S sorry to sidetrack the original thread. I'm off home now to find my welsh flag for Sundays match..

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 6th 2003 at 5:14 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:35 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by downunderpom
And how long is it since you left the UK? All this stuff has been in force in the UK for several years, too.

I actually looked it up on the internet recently by mistake. On

the UK msn site there was an outline as to when you had to fill in a tax return. I only gave it a quick read but I thought that it said that you only fill in a tax return if you are a small business owner etc. For normal PAYE people no tax return is needed unless you have investments of over a certain amount.

I might well be wrong though - I left the UK abot 13 years ago.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:52 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by Ceri
lol .. sorry I'm Welsh and I find this comment funny (but maybe I'm sick). Where's my leek, sorry haven't got the other thing you mentioned lol. Actually it is a made up name for tourist purposes. we just wanted a long name... NZ beats us though on the world long names but that is just a mountain.

PS you are more likely (according to some on here ) if you (an English person) ask for directions you'll get a reply "F off back to where you came from" by little old welsh dears.. now that I thought was funny too.
Cheers

Last edited by Goodpubmisser; Nov 6th 2003 at 9:11 pm.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I actually looked it up on the internet recently by mistake. On

the UK msn site there was an outline as to when you had to fill in a tax return. I only gave it a quick read but I thought that it said that you only fill in a tax return if you are a small business owner etc. For normal PAYE people no tax return is needed unless you have investments of over a certain amount.

I might well be wrong though - I left the UK abot 13 years ago.
Sorry you are wrong. Downunderpom is basically right, all those things go on a UK tax return - more likely to need one if a higher rate taxpayer. No matter if under PAYE or not.:lecture:
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:19 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by sjn2003
Sorry you are wrong. Downunderpom is basically right, all those things go on a UK tax return - more likely to need one if a higher rate taxpayer. No matter if under PAYE or not.:lecture:

Oh God, they must have got this idea from the Australians!

:scared:

Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:34 pm
WBB

only just seen this

Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:49 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by Ceri
Actually, American werewolf in London was filmed in Wales (the opening scene was anyway .. where it's supposed to be in some country town in England when he was walking across the moors " lol

Check it out next time you watch the film.. look at the end credits. I think I recall it was in Brecon they filmed it at . But, most definitely in the opening country pub/moor scene was filmed in Wales that much I can say for 100% sure.

P.S sorry to sidetrack the original thread. I'm off home now to find my welsh flag for Sundays match..

Did you notice Rik Mayall in the pub scene in American Warewolf in in London? I hired this on DVD recently (I had already seen it a couple of times but was bored) and it mentioned it in the credits.

One thing that I found funny about Welsh flags was I went to the gay multigra a couple of years ago and three gays went by with Welsh flag. I of course shouted out "Hello Boyo's" to which I got a broad smile!

My family used to have a cottage in Wales. One day we came home to a real fire.

No not really, we sold it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.