Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

beautiful! Wollongong,NSW, OZ

beautiful! Wollongong,NSW, OZ

Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

ozbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default beautiful! Wollongong,NSW, OZ

Last edited by ozbear; Nov 4th 2003 at 9:37 am.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:35 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Its bringing the memories floodin back. My mate from college lives in Figtree and we spent a few good nights out in Woollengong

Jo
Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:55 am
tennisoz

Nice pics. Haven't managed to visit Wollongong yet but will one day. Thanks for sharing them.

TennisOz

Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

nipper is an unknown quantity at this point

lots of lovely memories! spent a month in wollongong in aug 03, waiting for our pr and plan to return there to live next year !!! cant wait!!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:27 pm
WBB

looks like a nice place.

if only i could pronounce it

Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easy Woollen gong. I lived there 30 years ago on my first oe from NZ
Regards Johnny Bald Badger
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:20 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

When I first arrived in Oz I was staying with a friend near Woolongong and the scenic route from Sydney was mindblowing. Took the train to Sydney and back a few times and I never tired of looking out the window. It really is a beautiful area (apart from some steelworks blotting part of the landscape but nowhere is perfect).
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

I agree with all the above but the mother in law lives there!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:56 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by welshboybilly
looks like a nice place.

if only i could pronounce it
And you have Llanelli, Caerwys, Llanfair............................pgtips, etc

TennisOz

Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:57 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by scotvness
I agree with all the above but the mother in law lives there!!
Question: What is the penalty for bigamy?

Answer: Two mothers-in-law!!

TennisOz

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:11 am
WBB

Originally posted by tennisoz
And you have Llanelli, Caerwys, Llanfair............................pgtips, etc

TennisOz
you mean

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.

which translates to:

The church of St. Mary, in the valley of the white hazel, near the rapid whirlpool, nearby the red cave of the church of St. Tysilio

thank god for copy/paste

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:19 am
tennisoz

you mean

which translates to:

The church of St. Mary, in the valley of the white hazel, near the rapid whirlpool, nearby the red cave of the church of St. Tysilio

thank god for copy/paste
That's it - have had my photo taken there a few times on the train platform with the sign behind - and in the mill shop next door. We have had a few holidays on Anglesey and many at Criccieth - really like North Wales.

TennisOz

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

That is absolutley stunning, my wife has family in wollongong(hope it is spelt correctly) I never realised it was like that though, you know comming from a Glasgow Slum clearance town.

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:53 am
Goodpubmisser

Wollongong is braindead. It has high unemployment. What jobs exist are mainly heavy industry. Any decent jobs are given to the locals before they go to migrants. (You might get lucky and land a job flipping burgers for McDonalds).

The beaches and bush walking are good but try for a good night out or a decent ballet/play and you will be sorely disappointed.

You can of course drive to Sydney but most people don't as driving back at 1.00am in the dark for an hour or so takes it out of you (as will a kangaroo if you hit one).

To all Brits:
When you read posts in this forum guys bear in mind that there are many Australians posting (who may or may not live in Britain). There are also people who were brought to Australia from Britain as young kids who are thus fully Australianised (although the term "halfbreed" springs to mind).

Please feel free to add the usual insults that any post that downgrades Australia attracts.

Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:55 am
Goodpubmisser

you mean

which translates to:

thank god for copy/paste

Never ask for directions in Wales or you will get a face full of spittle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.