It beats me

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

NetWanderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It beats me

Hello guys.
I'm new to the forum and would love to ask a question that has been puzzling me for ages.
What makes people from 1st world countries like UK,US,etc. to go through the headache of immigration to finally come to nearly 2nd world country like Australia. IT JUST BEATS ME.
I understand it when there are personal reasons involved like Aussie spouse,girl(boy)friend, etc. But as I know many brits and americans without any ties with Australia desperately try to immigrate. WHY ??? Australia,compared to 1st world countries, is dull country-side with high unemployment, mate-like attitude to biznes,very bureaucratic, and as someone said on the forum is employer's market.I can say cause I'm here as a student. I'm gonna immigrate with God's help but because my country is not blessed with development, social protection of workforce, decent unemployment allowances, democracy,etc. In short it's like a 3rd world country. I WOULD NEVER NEVER immigrate to Aus. or even come to study here if the development of my homeland were at least like in some even Eastern European countries like Chzech Rep. or Hungary. Immigration costs money, headache, and uncertainty in tomorrow in new place.
Is it only 1-3 exchange rate that's the cause of why Brits come here ??
If I lived say in London, I'd stay there, had my full-time job, went to Wembley, had a feeling of being in Europe and would not come here begging employers to take into account my overseas work experience.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: It beats me

[If I lived say in London, I'd stay there, had my full-time job, went to Wembley, had a feeling of being in Europe and would not come here begging employers to take into account my overseas work experience. [/QUOTE]

I don't know what your studying, but just what type of accommodation would you expect to rent/buy in London. Hope you've checked out the real estate websites!!!!!
I live in UK and I would never be able to afford property in London.
Another thing, I wouldn't stay there if you paid me.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:53 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Netwanderer

Some of us just got itchy feet I suppose. Heck there are always people emigrating from every country in the world. It's not as if everyone i UK and USA wants to emigrate to Aus, just A couple of thousand of us. It's what makes the world go around. If people didn't emigrate, the world would be a poorer place.

Also it's a matter of taste, e.g. you say "dull countryside". A personal point of view. I say the same about UK as I find green rolling hills very boring, but hey, different strokes for different folks. Also UK isn't as rosy as you paint, in my view. Not only can't I afford to live in London as a Company Director, but hey, I wouldn't want to.

In the final analysis, it's a personal thing.

Nigel db

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: It beats me

aww c'mon.. away with ya... my 15 year old son would be chomping at the bit for this one... being mugged on his 13th birthday then twice after... London is a GRAND place!!!

Yvonne

24 days til we leave, 26 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by ndaltonb:
Hi Netwanderer

Some of us just got itchy feet I suppose. Heck there are always people emigrating from every country in the world. It's not as if everyone i UK and USA wants to emigrate to Aus, just A couple of thousand of us. It's what makes the world go around. If people didn't emigrate, the world would be a poorer place.

Also it's a matter of taste, e.g. you say "dull countryside". A personal point of view. I say the same about UK as I find green rolling hills very boring, but hey, different strokes for different folks. Also UK isn't as rosy as you paint, in my view. Not only can't I afford to live in London as a Company Director, but hey, I wouldn't want to.

In the final analysis, it's a personal thing.

Nigel db
Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Sorry Yvonne,
I didn't mean to offend anyone who does live there.
I wouln't even stay in Glasgow city centre if I was paid.
Too busy, built up, stuffy, expensive (especially the West End)
I like my space, fresh air, countryside etc.

Shona xxx
Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Shona... no offence taken I was being slightly sarcastic... I know where you are coming from,, my family are from way up there inbetween Inverness and Aberdeen so I also love my space.. hence even more excitement about moving to Aus... my boy for one cant wait to dump the UK for somewhere more open but still have the ablility to support ourselves

Yvonne

24 days til we leave, 26 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by micky:
Sorry Yvonne,
I didn't mean to offend anyone who does live there.
I wouln't even stay in Glasgow city centre if I was paid.
Too busy, built up, stuffy, expensive (especially the West End)
I like my space, fresh air, countryside etc.

Shona xxx
Old Aug 21st 2002, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTEIf I lived say in London, I'd stay there, had my full-time job, went to Wembley, had a feeling of being in Europe and would not come here begging employers to take into account my overseas work experience. [/QUOTE]

Wembley
!!!! what wembley its long gone pal you are about 2 years behind.

paul