beachy suburbs

Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default beachy suburbs

When we were originally looking at living in Australia we were set on Perth. The areas we chose were Rockingham and a couple of others, the thing about them was they were within walking distance to the beach.

Now we are looking at Brisbane as our new home, can anyone give a list of the best suburbs which are within walking distance to the beach, and which are best considered.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:15 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all
Default Re: beachy suburbs

Originally Posted by manxfamily
When we were originally looking at living in Australia we were set on Perth. The areas we chose were Rockingham and a couple of others, the thing about them was they were within walking distance to the beach.

Now we are looking at Brisbane as our new home, can anyone give a list of the best suburbs which are within walking distance to the beach, and which are best considered.

We to are migrating to Brisbane. I have some friends living just North (25K) around the Redcliffe area and I'm told it's very nice, good school etc. We have been looking at this area, Scarborough and Deception Bay areas too - all seem to be within walking distance to the beach.

If you go on the Real Estate website, when you do the search, it will also bring up surrounding areas - good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we’ve looked around on the Real Estate site. We have a few options I think.

Either we live in the Bayside area, up north around Sandgate or we were looking at the suburb of Calamvale as we know a family who moved there. We also know a couple in Deception Bay, but we have heard (not from the couple who live there) that is a bit dodgy.

All these are not necessarily within walking distance of a beach, as per the thread title. However, the beach is not everything, it was just a topic which I felt should be addressed.

Im sure once we get there and have a good recce, we can make a decision.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Yes, we’ve looked around on the Real Estate site. We have a few options I think.

Either we live in the Bayside area, up north around Sandgate or we were looking at the suburb of Calamvale as we know a family who moved there. We also know a couple in Deception Bay, but we have heard (not from the couple who live there) that is a bit dodgy.

All these are not necessarily within walking distance of a beach, as per the thread title. However, the beach is not everything, it was just a topic which I felt should be addressed.

What about the goldcoast!!!!! plenty of beaches there and only an hour away from brisbane.

lesley (jjl family)
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Not sure about walking distance to the beach in Brisbane but my advice... for what its worth... is to stick to the Northside. Whenever there is a bad storm that wrecks houses etc most of the damage is on the southside. Please be aware that SE Qld is experiencing a population boom and that infrastructure is not coping. What the hell. One more car on our clogged roads wont change a thing. Come on over.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GCS15
Not sure about walking distance to the beach in Brisbane but my advice... for what its worth... is to stick to the Northside. Whenever there is a bad storm that wrecks houses etc most of the damage is on the southside. Please be aware that SE Qld is experiencing a population boom and that infrastructure is not coping. What the hell. One more car on our clogged roads wont change a thing. Come on over.

Thanks mate, ill tell DIMIA you said it was okay!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:05 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Think you are right about Deception Bay, my sister-in-law who lives in Kippa-Ring, Redcliffe says the same thing. However there are loads of nice towns to the North of Brisbane lots never being far from the beach. The areas that we know and like are:
Sandgate
Woody Point
Redcliffe
Clontarf
These are all near/on the beach but we have found you get a bit more for your money if you go inland a bit ie; Strathpine, Bracken Ridge, Bray Park, Aspley. These can all be found on www.realestate.com.au just incase this isnt the real estate site that you are looking at.

We are in the process of selling our house and hope to be in the aread around March, when do you plan on heading out?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:23 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Hi

Think you are right about Deception Bay, my sister-in-law who lives in Kippa-Ring, Redcliffe says the same thing. However there are loads of nice towns to the North of Brisbane lots never being far from the beach. The areas that we know and like are:
Sandgate
Woody Point
Redcliffe
Clontarf
These are all near/on the beach but we have found you get a bit more for your money if you go inland a bit ie; Strathpine, Bracken Ridge, Bray Park, Aspley. These can all be found on www.realestate.com.au just incase this isnt the real estate site that you are looking at.

We are in the process of selling our house and hope to be in the aread around March, when do you plan on heading out?
Our house is "sold subject to contract", hopefully renting over here some time in Feb with the money in the bank. Out to Brisbane, in March to activaate the visa and then we all set off via the States, sometime in August/September. Waiting for the little one to finish her school year.

Bring it on..........
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just put in the main application, so it depends on processing times.

We’ve been told not to expect anything shorter than 12 months, which ties in with out daughters GSCEs and we will hopefully in Brisbane for mid 06. However, if the visas come in 3 months as they seem to be for a lot of people we may consider moving this year and our daughter can finish her last two high school years in oz.

Off now to check all the suburbs mentioned above!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Redcliffe Beach
Attached Thumbnails beachy suburbs-redcliffe-beach.jpg  

Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

I've just moved to Calamvale ands it a real nice area - your still within comfortable driving distance to the coast and Brisbane City itself
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:44 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Hi

Sandgate
Woody Point
Redcliffe
Clontarf

The above are a good list, also you could add
Shorncliffe
Brighton
Scarborough

Then places like Mango Hill if you're happy being next to a river instead. There's a very nice new estate going up right next the river there at the moment. We were on the river at the weekend, they've put in little coves, with bbq facilites etc along it.

Obviously you also have the bayside (wynnum/cleveland/redland etc) areas which are all right on the water too.

if you go to whereis and just typed in Brisbane as your area, you'd then be able to zoom in/out on the areas along the coast. The Real Estate website, as suggested is a good one to get an idea of area and houses also.

I'm in Bracken Ridge, only a few minutes drive from the coast, and an easy bike ride. Sandgate is next to me, so if you have any questions, feel free!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There's a big difference between 'living by the coast' and 'living by the beach' as far as Brisbane is concerned. Redcliffe must be the clsoest beach and I've visited maybe three times in two years.

Recliffe may be good by UK beach standards (though not sure it is) but is not good by Australian standards. I woul dhate to pay 'beachfront' prices at Redcliffe and still find myself driving an hour to a real beach at either the Sunshine or Gold Coast.

Closest ocean (and surf) beaches to Brisbane would be either The Spit at the Gold Coast or Bribie Island (on way to Sunshine Coast). Anything in between is protected from the surf by the islands in Moreton Bay.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
Recliffe may be good by UK beach standards (though not sure it is)
You've never been to the beach at Allhallows in Kent then

That one almost makes Thompsons Beach at Victoria Point look glorious, and makes Redlcliffe Beach look like heaven on earth

But, Yes, I agree, there are much better beaches around, although I feel the local smaller beaches are safer for my young child. I wouldn't let her in the water on the big surf beaches.

Therre are of course good Surf Beaches on North Stradbroke Island, but that means a ferry trip to get there.
Standard car + 4wd $94.00 return - including passengers
http://www.stradbrokeholidays.com.au...in_beaches.php

Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:48 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

But, Yes, I agree, there are much better beaches around, although I feel the local smaller beaches are safer for my young child. I wouldn't let her in the water on the big surf beaches.

Probably wise. We go to Kings Beach (I think), which has a fair amount of surf. Until my partners daughter was 8, he wouldn't even take her to that beach, never mind in the water. Now she's 10 in a month or so, she absolutely loves it, but is by no means strong enough for it.
We went just before Christmas on a particularly rough day; in preventing her from going into a big (we're talking a few meters) wave, I got caught in the rip, and was under to the point I was thinking 'if I can just hang on, even if I can't breathe someone should see me when I come up!!' :scared: Didn't go back in the water that day! FWIW, I used to teach lifesaving and am pretty fit, those rips can get anyone if you're not careful. Why you should always swim between the flags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.