Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beaches in Melbourne

Beaches in Melbourne

Old Jul 24th 2004, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Default Beaches in Melbourne

Please could anyone tell me where there are nice beaches in & around the Melbourne area? What suburbs are they near?

thanks for your help
Old Jul 24th 2004, 6:25 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Beaches in Melbourne

Originally posted by lissysarah
Please could anyone tell me where there are nice beaches in & around the Melbourne area? What suburbs are they near?

thanks for your help
It's all a matter of personal taste, but I liked St Kilda best - lovely sand, clean beach, cafes etc, streetful of diet-busting cakeshops nearby (Acland St) also Luna Park & fab Art Deco Palace Theater. Reasonable length pier to walk along. Boat trips. Great newly-restored 1920s Swimming baths & veggie restaurant above with great views of the bay. Something for everybody. Easy tram ride from city center, too. Only drawback - expensive place to live.

Safety Beach, down on Mornington is also lovely - had a great picnic there in May. I expect property down that way is a bit cheaper, too.

Anya.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by anya4oz
It's all a matter of personal taste, but I liked St Kilda best - lovely sand, clean beach, cafes etc, streetful of diet-busting cakeshops nearby (Acland St) also Luna Park & fab Art Deco Palace Theater. Reasonable length pier to walk along. Boat trips. Great newly-restored 1920s Swimming baths & veggie restaurant above with great views of the bay. Something for everybody. Easy tram ride from city center, too. Only drawback - expensive place to live.

Safety Beach, down on Mornington is also lovely - had a great picnic there in May. I expect property down that way is a bit cheaper, too.

Anya.

Not to mention a gorgeous Art & Craft market on the weekends along the Esplanade....I could spend a fortune there....
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:48 pm
wombat42

Melbournes beaches are all crap, almost as bad as the UK,
crowded, polluted with garbage, broken glass, cigerete butts,
used syringes infected with who knows what, dog turds and the water has no waves for surfing.
However if you travel one hour west of Melbourne past Geelong
you get some of the best beaches in Australia, with no pollution
and fantastic surf , such as Bells beach, Anglesea, Apollo Bay,
Port Fairy, Warrnambool, Bridgewater Bay, Torquay etc.

Old Jul 25th 2004, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by wombat42
However if you travel one hour west of Melbourne past Geelong
you get some of the best beaches in Australia, with no pollution
and fantastic surf , such as Bells beach, Anglesea, Apollo Bay,
Port Fairy, Warrnambool, Bridgewater Bay, Torquay etc.
How far a drive is the 90 mile beach(es)? They're eastward, IIRC.

Mike
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:50 am
Badge

I have to admit, I find the St Kilda beach (and suburb) MASSIVELY overrated. It doesn't seem right. It reminds me of a pommy beach like Brighton. There's something just wrong about it. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not a fun or laid back beach, kind of more pretentious...

St Kilda was the only place in Australia which reminded me of say Camden in N London - lots of pretence, weirdo grungies ..

BM

Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

thanks for your help
If you describe what you classify as a 'nice beach' we may be able to help more. Are you looking for a family day out beach? A surf beach?

We like quiet beaches that are sandy & not spoilt by too many people, no litter & not too many cafes etc. Some we saw were undergoing rejuvenation.

We did the Gt Ocean Rd drive and saw loads of great beaches. Some where the sea was pretty rough & good for surfing i.e. Lorne, but probably less appealing if you want to go paddling with the kiddies.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Caroline G
If you describe what you classify as a 'nice beach' we may be able to help more. Are you looking for a family day out beach? A surf beach?

We like quiet beaches that are sandy & not spoilt by too many people, no litter & not too many cafes etc. Some we saw were undergoing rejuvenation.

We did the Gt Ocean Rd drive and saw loads of great beaches. Some where the sea was pretty rough & good for surfing i.e. Lorne, but probably less appealing if you want to go paddling with the kiddies.
I'd say it depends on the time of year as well. I had a lovely time in November on all the beaches with only a few or no people around, I drove all the way round Port Phillip Bay . I stopped at many of the "city" beaches . I would say that if you lived in the city and just wanted a beach to walk along they were ok. An hour away you have Morntington Peninsular, it was lovely and quiet , but come Dec-Jan it becomes a busy seaside location. Again an hour plus away GOR was fantastic the beaches and scenery were stunning. As another poster said great for surfing. (Not dissimilar to Cornwall) .
If you need more help Ask for more detail or be more specific with your question. There are heaps of people here to answer your questions on Melbourne
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:40 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by badgersmount
St Kilda was the only place in Australia which reminded me of say Camden in N London - lots of pretence, weirdo grungies ..
Geat place, Camden. Well it was 20 years ago.

But I agree with wombat42 about the detritus. A walk along the high-tide line at St Kilda was a nasty disgusting vile eye-opener.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

Sorry ....

'nice' beach doesn't really tell you much!

I was thinking of a clean, attractive beach (sandy preferably). Safe to swim (not worried about surfing).

Somewhere to walk, maybe with the dog, and admire & enjoy scenery.

Maybe some bars where you can sit, relax and look out over the ocean.

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Sorry ....

'nice' beach doesn't really tell you much!

I was thinking of a clean, attractive beach (sandy preferably). Safe to swim (not worried about surfing).

Somewhere to walk, maybe with the dog, and admire & enjoy scenery.

Maybe some bars where you can sit, relax and look out over the ocean.

Cheers
We visted the beach near Hampton (Bayside). Bearing in mind it was May & was rainy, windy & cold I could see it's potential. Had a lovely warming coffee in the nearby cafe which had a lovely fire place and views over the bay. Would image that it does get busy in high season.

We also like the beach at Carrum, wasn't crowded (again as Autumn in Oz when we went) It was sandy, water shallow & went on for miles. It was a bit littered however under rejuvenation & you do have to be careful not to swim too near the gates that feed the river running through Patterson lakes to the National Water sports club.

As our visit was short we missed out on Sorento & Mornington Penisula but have heard these are really nice places with great scenery & beaches....
Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Caroline for your help
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

I read in Gregory's 200 km around Melbourne, yesterday that the beaches around Mount Martha 'are the prettiest on the Mornington Peninsula'