Beach Buggy

Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:30 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future
Default Beach Buggy in Oz? Anyone have one?

Does anyone have a beach buggy in Oz? I built one in the UK and don't use it much because of the weather, I'm thinking of shipping it over to Oz (QLD). Does anyone else have one. What would the aussies think of it? Its more of a fun car than anything to drive around posing in. I don't want everyone thinking what a tw*t...
Ta

Last edited by Shaun&Dee; Aug 25th 2007 at 9:37 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:07 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beach Buggy in Oz? Anyone have one?

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Does anyone have a beach buggy in Oz? I built one in the UK and don't use it much because of the weather, I'm thinking of shipping it over to Oz (QLD). Does anyone else have one. What would the aussies think of it? Its more of a fun car than anything to drive around posing in. I don't want everyone thinking what a tw*t...
Ta
I've seen a couple of the more plastic looking ones, you know the type with the fully moulded one piece grp body. Importing stuff like that is risky as compliance testing here in QLD is a nightmare. Every modification to your car has to be approved and a modification plate stamped & fitted under the bonnet.
If you bought it in kit form you could check & see if the kit was available here, that way you could already be halfway to getting it registered.
Most people drive on the beach in 4X4's, normal road rules apply & all vehicles must be roadworthy & registered. Speed limits are in force on most beaches & the police do monitor speeds & issue infringement notices just like on sealed roads.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:11 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Mine is road legal in the UK, passing all the standard requirements for DVLA. I would of thought that it would have been similar to bringing over a new car, in that you just take it to the DVLA in OZ and get a rego?

Another way could be to get one in Oz then change all the details of it to be the same as the UK one (colour, engine number, etc.), then when the UK one arrives in Oz switch over the plate. Illegal I know but a work around?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

skeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beach Buggy

Hi was at custom car show over the weekend and saw new body shells for sale at £800.I thought they would go down a bomb at surfers or any beach place maybe even hire them out.
Its something ive wanted but never had. just an idea.
it must be old so you get around certain rules and regs, go for it.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.dotars.gov.au
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:13 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Mine is road legal in the UK, passing all the standard requirements for DVLA. I would of thought that it would have been similar to bringing over a new car, in that you just take it to the DVLA in OZ and get a rego?

Another way could be to get one in Oz then change all the details of it to be the same as the UK one (colour, engine number, etc.), then when the UK one arrives in Oz switch over the plate. Illegal I know but a work around?
Much more stringent rules here would make that idea impossible, if you change an engine you need a mod plate, to get the mod plate you have to go to Qld Transport & pay for an inspection. That's after you have paid an approved testing centre to test the thing.
I built a few hotrods in the U.K I'd not even attempt to here it's a minefield of paperwork & compliance testing.
If you want one the kits are available & as they are already building them compliance approval is usually a formality. Plenty of choices of kit form builds. Here's a few:

http://www.beachbuggy.com.au/shopping/

http://www.autopartsonline.com.au/beach_buggy.php

Second Hand

VW webring
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Sell it here and put the money into another off roader, there are lots of clubs out there that regulary go sand driving if thats your thing or they just go off road.