Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BCG jab- should you have it?

Wikiposts

BCG jab- should you have it?

Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default BCG jab- should you have it?

My son will miss his BCG jab at school this year as we leave before it is due. Does anyone know what age kids out there have it? Is it free or do you pay for immunisations?

I am thinking of asking if my Doctor if he can do it before we go, to avoid any risks.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:39 am
WBB

Default Re: BCG jab- should you have it?

Originally posted by tinaj
My son will miss his BCG jab at school this year as we leave before it is due. Does anyone know what age kids out there have it? Is it free or do you pay for immunisations?

I am thinking of asking if my Doctor if he can do it before we go, to avoid any risks.
funny you should bring this up, we were talking about this today.

would also like to hear the answer.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

this site should help

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/

T
Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:14 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Personally speaking, I should definately get it done before you go. TB is on the increase in 1st world countries due to immigrants not being immunised. I doubt it is a big a problem in Oz than here, but err on the side of caution. Besides, if he's lucky like me, then his heaf test will show he's naturally immune.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:15 am
WBB

thanks for that, will have a good dig through.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

You do have to pay but can claim back through medicare I assume. I am taking my youngest to the free clinic which you will find in most areas. Not that I'm tight or anything but it's gonna cost me $$$$ in pressies afterwards to stop the wails!!

Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

On the topic of immunisations, they have just started the programme here for meningitis so at least our kids will already have had it done!!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

My twelve year daughter has just "got her needles" which included hep B which was a surprise

Loopy
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:00 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

My son is in year 9 and would have just had the BCG, but after the pre- BCG daisy needle thing in his arm we were told he didn't need it as he has immunity. He was one happy bunny at not having to have the jab!!

Petra