Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have been trying to hire locally for a certain position for the best part of a year. Just can't find anyone.

I received a CV from a guy in the UK, seemed perfect on paper, did a Skype interview, just what I needed. Threw the CV to the bitches (HR) and that's where it stopped.

The bitches (HR) have decided its now too hard and too costly to hire from abroad.
If you had the temerity to speak like this to those people at work they'd dismiss you on the spot. You clearly feel able to say it on an unknown keyboard though.

Says a lot.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Councils and governments do seem to be changing planning laws on a whim to accommodate the some extra floors on a tower to get the extra cash.

Agree some areas are fine for higher density, some aren't.

Not really a developers fault. They will work with what laws and rules are in front of them. If not, they pull out.

Minister slaps council as Mirvac pulls out of Showgrounds development

Build more infrastructure - more jobs

Build more infrastructure - more jobs

Agree

Population growth is good for diversity of an economy. No good putting all your eggs in the mining bucket.

The point is, governments need to keep up with population growth. In many areas this is happening. Sydney for one - hospital projects along with infrastructure projects are booming. Melbourne may be struggling but that's Melbourne and Labor. Labor have a poor track record in NSW, in fact Australia, for managing stuff like this so its best to keep it to a location by location nag. Its not Australia wide.

Except the building growth is most likely not in the leafy suburbs where politicians, business leaders and a host of rent seekers reside.

Governments need to keep up population growth? Why? Especially at record numbers. No such thing is needed apart from maintaining a housing Ponzi and keep a lid on any wage growth.

Infrastructure is nowhere close to keeping up with population growth in Australia.

I wonder how many Australians consider life better than ten, twenty years ago? No doubt those that gained massively through the inflation of their houses many times over and perhaps cruise every year, living a life, never dreamt possible, may well be in that stable. Not too many others though. Service has drastically declined. The nation far less caring as a whole but an anger looms underneath.

Just to further back up argument that record immigration is not good for the country, Australia Institute chief economist, Richard Denniss, certainly agrees with my stance.

He wrote," The very purpose of foreign work visa's is to suppress wage growth allowing employers to recruit from a global pool of labour to compete with Australian workers".

"In a normal functioning labour market when demand for labour rises , employers would need to bid against one another for available talent. But this mechanism has been bypassed which enables employers to recruit labour globally"
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davo21
If you had the temerity to speak like this to those people at work they'd dismiss you on the spot. You clearly feel able to say it on an unknown keyboard though.

Says a lot.

It says a lot indeed. Growing inequalities within the workforce has led to a toxic environment in many work places.

Poor under qualified managers and poorer CEO's in many instances that feel the world should revolve around them now all too common practice.

Bullying has become a little more subtle especially in work places where unions have an involvement, but those on short term contracts and what have you are forced to lump it and if want to maintain a working position to become docile and put up with whatever is given out.

I've witnessed a fair number of tears in the work place over time . A revolving door of comings and goings including CEO's relieved of duty and inept management paid out.

Plenty of job applicants but some employers barely look at local applicants, praising foreign candidates 'for experience' but reality is will be employed for less money but don't mind to gain entry, and use as a 'stepping stone' to move on in due course to higher paid employment when PR comes through.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Says a lot.
Can't win then.

Either I don't speak to HR like that but that's what I think.

Or I speak my mind to them.

Which would you prefer?

Obviously you think badly of me but choose to express that on a keyboard.

Pot calling kettle black?

Care to explain?

Last edited by Beoz; Feb 2nd 2018 at 6:45 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can't win then.

Which would you prefer?

Obviously come out swinging. Get it off your chest. If at all true, the matter can be addressed higher. There is a usual grievance process from my experience which can be used in place of out right confrontation.
This applies to all stages within an organisation. Really not very hard.

I don't know about the poster you addressed the question to , but even coming out with such crudity on a public forum suggests the leaning of the sort of person you most likely are, even if not on a fully conscious level.

That is why processes are in place in a work place. That is why HR (and not a great fan over the years) partly is in place. Without going through HR, and I have personally experienced this, hot headed decisions, by those in management may well be made, which are not by the book and create great 'disturbance' further down the road that may involve costly legal action, heads rolling and cost to business.

Last edited by the troubadour; Feb 2nd 2018 at 6:55 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Obviously come out swinging. Get it off your chest. If at all true, the matter can be addressed higher. There is a usual grievance process from my experience which can be used in place of out right confrontation.
This applies to all stages within an organisation. Really not very hard.

I don't know about the poster you addressed the question to , but even coming out with such crudity on a public forum suggests the leaning of the sort of person you most likely are, even if not on a fully conscious level.

That is why processes are in place in a work place. That is why HR (and not a great fan over the years) partly is in place. Without going through HR, and I have personally experienced this, hot headed decisions, by those in management may well be made, which are not by the book and create great 'disturbance' further down the road that may involve costly legal action, heads rolling and cost to business.
As such an expert on organisation structures, and politics, why do you struggle so badly with management of any sort?

If it hasn't occurred to you already, success and money come with surrounding yourself with the right team - its all about people. When a group like HR prevent that from happening, then the business doesn't tick and perform as it should. Pretty simple stuff.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't win then.

Which would you prefer?

Care to explain?
You still don't get it.

If this is how you think, whether you say it out loud or not is irrelevant. The fact you refer to women or anyone as "bitches" is about who you are.

You might say "I can hit a woman behind closed doors but as long as no one sees me do it then it's OK".

That would be wrong too.

Clearer?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You still don't get it.

If this is how you think, whether you say it out loud or not is irrelevant. The fact you refer to women or anyone as "bitches" is about who you are.

You might say "I can hit a woman behind closed doors but as long as no one sees me do it then it's OK".

That would be wrong too.

Clearer?
No clearer I am afraid. Hitting women is not something I am into so clear as mud.

Do you hit women?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No clearer I am afraid. Hitting women is not something I am into so clear as mud.

Do you hit women?

Well allow me to throw some light on the subject. The first process is to dehumanise another. 'Bitches' fits nicely into that category as it confirms disrespect and deserving what ever is dished up.

Next step is denial and not admitting a wrong turn of categorising. Best quit while your behind and not up the notch.....
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 1:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 3rd 2018, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well allow me to throw some light on the subject. The first process is to dehumanise another. 'Bitches' fits nicely into that category as it confirms disrespect and deserving what ever is dished up.

Next step is denial and not admitting a wrong turn of categorising. Best quit while your behind and not up the notch.....
Confirmed. In this case it does indeed confirm disrespect. Though as I mentioned the only 2 good HR people I have experienced weren't bitchy in the slightest and along with that the only 2 that would ever be invited to a shin dig. Says a lot.

And when I say good, I mean HR people who understood the difference between making money and protecting the business and balancing the grey areas required for both.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, as you neither like to protect businesses nor make money.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As such an expert on organisation structures, and politics, why do you struggle so badly with management of any sort?

If it hasn't occurred to you already, success and money come with surrounding yourself with the right team - its all about people. When a group like HR prevent that from happening, then the business doesn't tick and perform as it should. Pretty simple stuff.

I'd say HR have you sussed out rather well. It is not a matter of bringing in your Pom from abroad, in order to boost own position in getting some on side. Afraid little ploy looks set for dismal failure.
One very positive aspect with having a HR team in place of course.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confirmed. In this case it does indeed confirm disrespect. Though as I mentioned the only 2 good HR people I have experienced weren't bitchy in the slightest and along with that the only 2 that would ever be invited to a shin dig. Says a lot.

And when I say good, I mean HR people who understood the difference between making money and protecting the business and balancing the grey areas required for both.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, as you neither like to protect businesses nor make money.

With 1.2 million un/under employed don't try and convince me there are no candidates within Australia. Obviously without HR you could willy nilly recruit mates from where ever. It happens most time there is a shift in CEO or top management. Hardly uncommon in the Australian context.
Just shows you can't be flavour of the office. I'll think of options you could put into practise in an attempt to gain popularity. Admittingly I'll certainly have my work cut out.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

With 1.2 million un/under employed don't try and convince me there are no candidates within Australia. Obviously without HR you could willy nilly recruit mates from where ever. It happens most time there is a shift in CEO or top management. Hardly uncommon in the Australian context.
Just shows you can't be flavour of the office. I'll think of options you could put into practise in an attempt to gain popularity. Admittingly I'll certainly have my work cut out.
Clearly HR aren't doing their job then.

On one hand you think HR are great, on the other hand you think there should be candidates in Australia. Something is not working.

You have just backed yourself in a corner without escape. Nice work.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Do you hit women?
It's abundantly clear why you can't find decent workers.

And it's got nothing to do with HR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.