Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

Old Jan 29th 2018, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

It is hard to take seriously the Business Council of Australia, recent call on government to ease restrictions so that 'trusted employers' can hire more workers.

This would exempt workers from forthcoming red tape being proposed by government on permanent residents and temporally, set to be introduced in March.

The argument that Australia needs to maintain a turbo charged migrant intake was recently shot down in flames by Dept of Employment.
There figures pointed to skill shortages continued to be limited in 16-17 and that there are a high number of applicants per job.

Last month the global jobs site, Indeed, suggested that Australian skill shortages was among the lowest in the world, along with UK.
They both have a world leading rate of 70% of jobs being filled in one month.
In Germany the rate is only 51%, USA is 58%.

At a time in Australia when underutilisation of labour remains at record levels and wage growth stuck at near historical lows there is no justification at all apart from narrow self interest of cutting living standard even more through no wage rises and fear of job by ever more competition.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BCA Call For More Workers Doesn't Add Up

I have been trying to hire locally for a certain position for the best part of a year. Just can't find anyone.

I received a CV from a guy in the UK, seemed perfect on paper, did a Skype interview, just what I needed. Threw the CV to the bitches (HR) and that's where it stopped.

The bitches (HR) have decided its now too hard and too costly to hire from abroad.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

The fact remains that floor salary for 'skilled' temporary workers should be above the salary of $83.642. Not 36% below at $53,900. Which is very possible in many instances.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the nine months to March 17 almost 10,000 457 visa's were granted to workers on salaries between $53,900 and $57,000, according to documents published under Senate Estimates.

This group represents about one quarter of total 457 entrants in 16 to 17. A total of 45,000 according to immigration figures.

The largest area of employment was hospitality. So much for this visa being used to bringing in highly skilled, in short supply professional workers, supposedly earning well above average wages. It has become more a visa for labour hire and no wonder highly unpopular with Australian workers.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have been trying to hire locally for a certain position for the best part of a year. Just can't find anyone.

I received a CV from a guy in the UK, seemed perfect on paper, did a Skype interview, just what I needed. Threw the CV to the bitches (HR) and that's where it stopped.

The bitches (HR) have decided its now too hard and too costly to hire from abroad.

Quite probably no Aussie will work with you considering the attitude on display.

Perhaps treat people with decency and pay a correct rate, instead of attempting to 'lift' a worker from UK, probably desperate to leave conditions, that you in frequent posts would like introduced in this country.

A good start would be not to call fellow colleagues 'bitches'. Those 'bitches' probably are fully aware there are numerous candidates out there more than qualified and no need to recruit abroad.

Shows some of the rot going on this country if nothing else.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Quite probably no Aussie will work with you considering the attitude on display.

Perhaps treat people with decency and pay a correct rate, instead of attempting to 'lift' a worker from UK, probably desperate to leave conditions, that you in frequent posts would like introduced in this country.

A good start would be not to call fellow colleagues 'bitches'. Those 'bitches' probably are fully aware there are numerous candidates out there more than qualified and no need to recruit abroad.

Shows some of the rot going on this country if nothing else.
Is that the best you have on this topic? Being offensive as per usual.

You assessment of this topic is so far off the mark. The bitches (as HR always are) don't understand the boom that is occuring in Australia right now and aren't beating market rates with the very few candidates available within the country. Its not like people are sitting idle. Its all about the poach which requires big offers. With the right person I can make their big salary back in a week. Unfortunately the bitches share that oh so familiar mentality about the cost of people but the reality is, people are cheap.

So you talk about correct pay - I am all for big pay. I am all for competitiveness.

The problem with Australia is we just down have the skills in Australia right now with the East Coast boom.

Obviously in Perth, you, your salary and your house price got smashed when the resource prices slumped. You need to look beyond your bubble. Maybe even move.

Need a job? It would save us all battling against the governments tightening of 457's just because of few shallow soundbiters thought they would make a song and dance about something they knew nothing about.

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 31st 2018 at 6:55 am.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You assessment of this topic is so far off the mark. The bitches (as HR always are) don't understand the boom that is occuring in Australia right now and aren't beating market rates with the very few candidates available within the country. Its not like people are sitting idle. Its all about the poach which requires big offers. With the right person I can make their big salary back in a week. Unfortunately the bitches share that oh so familiar mentality about the cost of people but the reality is, people are cheap.

So you talk about correct pay - I am all for big pay. I am all for competitiveness.

The problem with Australia is we just down have the skills in Australia right now with the East Coast boom.

Obviously in Perth, you, your salary and your house price got smashed when the resource prices slumped. You need to look beyond your bubble. Maybe even move.

Need a job? It would save us all battling against the governments tightening of 457's just because of few shallow soundbiters thought they would make a song and dance about something they knew nothing about.
I'd just love to hear how HR refer to you.....
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'd just love to hear how HR refer to you.....
I am sure they are quite bitchy. That's fine.

On the whole, HR are typically very unhelpful to workers. And that is also fine. Their job is to protect the organisation from the workers.

That said, I have had the experience of working with 2 very fine HR people who did their best do what's best for all, which often means thinking a little outside the box - after all that's what their role is designed to do.

Sadly neither were in this country. My experience of HR in this country is not great (see my latest HR tale).

I wish I could 457 both those 2 great HR's over here. Another great reason for keeping the 457 alive.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It sounds like quite a toxic work place you find yourself. Of course your oar in the waters contributes greatly to that.
I guess the 'bitches' don't much care for the attitude of a relative 'blow in' with such sexist and reactionary views. More power to them.

It's attitudes like yours, those of jumped up suits that need sorting. There is plenty of underutilised talent already in Australia. As I said, your attitude would put of the most receptive, meekest and mildest of souls.

Sadly the government appears to have buckled to business pressure/ and agreed to allow 'business consultants' in under 457's. With the proviso that after four years they may apply for PR.

No end in sight to the madness.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am sure they are quite bitchy. That's fine.

On the whole, HR are typically very unhelpful to workers. And that is also fine. Their job is to protect the organisation from the workers.

That said, I have had the experience of working with 2 very fine HR people who did their best do what's best for all, which often means thinking a little outside the box - after all that's what their role is designed to do.

Sadly neither were in this country. My experience of HR in this country is not great (see my latest HR tale).

I wish I could 457 both those 2 great HR's over here. Another great reason for keeping the 457 alive.
I'd prefer your job to become redundant but sadly little influence over that. I'm sure you'd prefer 457's that are reliant on your 'goodwill' to remain in position and in the country. An Aussie might well not put up with your shite and you would lose face. (literary)

Thinking outside 'the box', LOL, not more thinking out the box than your daily quota of reading The Australian for advice on how to think.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It sounds like quite a toxic work place you find yourself. Of course your oar in the waters contributes greatly to that.
I guess the 'bitches' don't much care for the attitude of a relative 'blow in' with such sexist and reactionary views. More power to them.

It's attitudes like yours, those of jumped up suits that need sorting. There is plenty of underutilised talent already in Australia. As I said, your attitude would put of the most receptive, meekest and mildest of souls.

Sadly the government appears to have buckled to business pressure/ and agreed to allow 'business consultants' in under 457's. With the proviso that after four years they may apply for PR.

No end in sight to the madness.
The only toxicity is created at times, by HR. The 3 year old son of one of my guys was diagnosed with a serious illness. My guy requested that he could work from home 3 days a week until the care was sorted. I gave instant approval for that. Help him out or lose him. HR vittoed it. "Contract says he is office based". Naturally I have told him to ignore HR and just do it. Any issues will fall on me. We need him. Bitches.

I don't wear a suit. In fact I don't think I even own one. Oh yes there is one in the attic somewhere that I wore to a wedding a few months back.

Suits are old hat. Please keep up.

There's no under utilised talent in Australia. Maybe in WA but if you won't travel or move then tough titties.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tell that to the ever increasing number of graduates unable to enter the work force or in roles well under their qualifications. Or the one pint one million Australians (of all races and birth places) being under utilised because of attitudes akin to Boez.

Tell that to those that live in Western Sydney an area being swamped with new comers and ever declining infrastructure and living standards.

Oh while we are at it. A 'great' idea to flood Sydney basin with wall to wall urbanity. That will really add to the 'vibe'.

A city the size of Canberra, is being constructed, between Penrith and Camden where most growth appears to be concentrated.

Lobbyists for business and their fellow travellers really need to be exposed for what they are and hung out to dry.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tell that to the ever increasing number of graduates unable to enter the work force or in roles well under their qualifications. Or the one pint one million Australians (of all races and birth places) being under utilised because of attitudes akin to Boez.
Just like we did back in the day, a degree doesn't give you instant right to CEO positions. Start at the bottom and work your way up. No change there.

That's what I am here for. To bury your bullshit.

Tell that to those that live in Western Sydney an area being swamped with new comers and ever declining infrastructure and living standards.
More rubbish being sprouted by you. Why do you do it to yourself?

After a decade of Labor party neglect, Sydney, especially western Sydney is undergoing infrastructure heaven. Come on over. I'm sure there's a job for you somewhere.

Bring yourself up to speed here

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/

This site isn't the easiest to navigate, so I have pulled a few crucial links for you. Have a good read because you are well out of touch.

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/...e-initiatives/

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/...sion-for-2056/

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/...n/#modal-img-0

https://www.greater.sydney/draft-gre...gion-plan-page

Oh while we are at it. A 'great' idea to flood Sydney basin with wall to wall urbanity. That will really add to the 'vibe'.

A city the size of Canberra, is being constructed, between Penrith and Camden where most growth appears to be concentrated.

Lobbyists for business and their fellow travellers really need to be exposed for what they are and hung out to dry.
Absolutely. Dead land down there. A few farmers hanging on being offered masses to move on down to the highlands or over the ranges.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just like we did back in the day, a degree doesn't give you instant right to CEO positions. Start at the bottom and work your way up. No change there.

That's what I am here for. To bury your bullshit.

More rubbish being sprouted by you. Why do you do it to yourself?

After a decade of Labor party neglect, Sydney, especially western Sydney is undergoing infrastructure heaven. Come on over. I'm sure there's a job for you somewhere.

Bring yourself up to speed here

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/

This site isn't the easiest to navigate, so I have pulled a few crucial links for you. Have a good read because you are well out of touch.

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/...e-initiatives/

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/...sion-for-2056/

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/...n/#modal-img-0

https://www.greater.sydney/draft-gre...gion-plan-page

Absolutely. Dead land down there. A few farmers hanging on being offered masses to move on down to the highlands or over the ranges.

Not against higher density. In fact necessary for Australian cities , if done well. That doesn't mean selling out to developers and putting any high rise crap up to turn a buck.

Now just why do we need massive population growth? Remind me again. My original post, which included comment from Employment Australia, that Australia does not have a shortage of skills. This was backed up by Global recruitment agency, Indeed.

Besides the lack of need I can think of a host of reasons record immigration levels are not good for Australia.

'Help the Grid' initiative in Victoria to prevent future black outs as the grid cannot cope with increased usage, especially in times of excess heat or cold.

Sounds increasingly like first world prices for a third world service. By the way, perhaps you can finger just how a doubling of Victoria's population over next 35 years , with Melbourne, now forecast to exceed previous estimates from 8 million to now 9 million?

This all in a time when less workers will be required as many jobs disappear.

Not forgetting standards falling.

Educational standards low and falling.
Hospitals have already year long waiting lists
Internet speeds rank 56th in the world.

Yet government hardly held to account, with all parties on board including Greens with regards Big Australia, and prefer to dabble in the irrelevant like same sex marriage, while press freedoms are cracked down on.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not against higher density. In fact necessary for Australian cities , if done well. That doesn't mean selling out to developers and putting any high rise crap up to turn a buck.
Councils and governments do seem to be changing planning laws on a whim to accommodate the some extra floors on a tower to get the extra cash.

Agree some areas are fine for higher density, some aren't.

Not really a developers fault. They will work with what laws and rules are in front of them. If not, they pull out.

Minister slaps council as Mirvac pulls out of Showgrounds development

Now just why do we need massive population growth? Remind me again. My original post, which included comment from Employment Australia, that Australia does not have a shortage of skills. This was backed up by Global recruitment agency, Indeed.

Besides the lack of need I can think of a host of reasons record immigration levels are not good for Australia.

'Help the Grid' initiative in Victoria to prevent future black outs as the grid cannot cope with increased usage, especially in times of excess heat or cold.
Build more infrastructure - more jobs

Sounds increasingly like first world prices for a third world service. By the way, perhaps you can finger just how a doubling of Victoria's population over next 35 years , with Melbourne, now forecast to exceed previous estimates from 8 million to now 9 million?

This all in a time when less workers will be required as many jobs disappear.

Not forgetting standards falling.

Educational standards low and falling.
Hospitals have already year long waiting lists
Internet speeds rank 56th in the world.
Build more infrastructure - more jobs

Yet government hardly held to account, with all parties on board including Greens with regards Big Australia, and prefer to dabble in the irrelevant like same sex marriage, while press freedoms are cracked down on.
Agree

Population growth is good for diversity of an economy. No good putting all your eggs in the mining bucket.

The point is, governments need to keep up with population growth. In many areas this is happening. Sydney for one - hospital projects along with infrastructure projects are booming. Melbourne may be struggling but that's Melbourne and Labor. Labor have a poor track record in NSW, in fact Australia, for managing stuff like this so its best to keep it to a location by location nag. Its not Australia wide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.