The BBQ thread

Old Feb 28th 2004, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default The BBQ thread

When we first moved in our house we bought a real flashy 6 burner stainless steel gas BBQ, with hood and all the other bells and whistles except a revolving roasting spit. Anyone else here used one?
I have this yearning to do a roast on it, but i'm unsure of the mess it will make and how well it cooks on there.

I have a lamb and pork joint waiting to be tested out...

Now...all you BBQ lovers...any good recipes apart from snags?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Bananas - leave them in their skins. They take a while to cook - are ready when they are mushy. You can serve them with icecream and poor liquer on top.
Pineapple - yummy.

Mushrooms - put on the barbie whole.

Veggie kebabs - tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms etc.

Grilled fish - you can put it straight on, but having one of those wire holders stops the fish dropping to bits when you turn it. Larger fish can be stuffed with fresh herbs.

Another veggie option is - get a large round cob (bread), cut in two, fill with brie (or other soft cheeses) and peppers, tomatoes etc. Put the lid back on and toast it, better on a high up shelf or a low heat, so that the cheese gets a chance to melt before the bread toasts too much.

I've never tried aubergine, but imagine that it would taste lovely. They do it in Greece like this and they end up with a lovely smokey flavour.

I'm a veggie, so I love all these things. If you eat meat, you could try some of these things to stop your barbecues getting boring.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

PS maybe a slice of pineapple would go well with your pork PP - a bit like sweet and sour.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Recipe for Souvlaki... use diced pork, or lamb.
Cut meat into 1 inch cubes and thread onto skewers. Stand in olive oil, mixed with 4 tablespoons lemon juice, salt and pepper and leave for 1 hour. Grill over glowing coals, turning once, until done. Sprinkle with oregano.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:53 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Also for Bananas -

Leave in skins but peel back a strip of skin. Make small diagonal slits into the banana.

Take a Mars Bars and chop into thin slices. Poke a slice of Mars Bar into each of the slits in the banana. Depending how much of a sweet tooth you have, but we find 1 marsbar will do for 2 big banana or 3 small ones.

Squeeze a little lime juice over teach banana and place the peeled skin back over the banana flesh.

Wrap each banana in tin foil and place on the BBQ. Low heat is best (we often put them on after meat cooking is finished to take advantage of the last heat)

take out of tinfoil and skins and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Tastes fabby, but hugely calorific.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:57 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

A lower calorie BBQ dessert

De-core some cooking/dessert apples and slice into 1 inch-thick discs. Brush with olive oil.

Mix together the zest of 2 lemons, couple of tablespoons of sugar and about 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Grill the apple slices on the barbecue for about 2 minutes.

Turn the apple slices over and sprinkle with the lemon zest mixture.

Cook for a further 2-3 minutes and serve with ice cream.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Also for Bananas -

Leave in skins but peel back a strip of skin. Make small diagonal slits into the banana.

Take a Mars Bars and chop into thin slices. Poke a slice of Mars Bar into each of the slits in the banana. Depending how much of a sweet tooth you have, but we find 1 marsbar will do for 2 big banana or 3 small ones.

Squeeze a little lime juice over teach banana and place the peeled skin back over the banana flesh.

Wrap each banana in tin foil and place on the BBQ. Low heat is best (we often put them on after meat cooking is finished to take advantage of the last heat)

take out of tinfoil and skins and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Try drizzleing honey on them too.

STONEY
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:04 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Thai pork steaks

Make up a marinade of Thai fish sauce (not too much), sesame oil, lots of chrushed garlic, some ginger (diced into small pieces) and chilli (sliced into thin rings).

Cut the pork joint into steaks about 1.5 cms thick.

Marinade the pork steaks for at least 1 hour.

Whack on the BBQ and spoon some extra marinade on the steaks.

Turn over and spoon some marinade on the other side.

Tastes great served with salad and bread.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:13 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Larissa, this is one you might like

In a pestle and mortar or electric grinder, grind some lemon grass, coriander roots and a chopped red chilli into a fine paste.

Place some small button mushrooms, diced red pepper, shallots and par-boiled new potatoes in a large bowl. Add in the lemon grass paste and mix well.

Mix in some soy sauce oyster sauce, turmeric and cumin (about a 4:2:1:1 ratio). Season with freshly ground pepper.

Set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour.

Thread the vegetables alternately onto bamboo skewers (remember to soak) and brush the vegetables with oil. Normally just use vegetable oil but you could use olive oil as well.

Cook the vegetable kebabs on a hot barbecue until tender, browning on all sides.

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Mar 12th 2004 at 10:51 am.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:23 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrap corn on the cob in tin foil, adding in a little butter and place around the egdes of the bbq while you're cooking your steaks, shrimps, etc. The corn cooks perfectly and soaks up the butter while it's cooking.

Mmmmmn, hungry now
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:25 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Here's a german BBQ recipe

Barbequed Cabbage - It tastes much better than it sounds

Par-boil a large savoy cabbage (Whole, dont chop) for about 10 mins.

Then remove from the pan and drain.

Chop up some streaky bacon (about 4 or 5 rashers).

Put the bacon in a bowl with a pinch of sugar and some salt and pepper to taste. Add a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil.

Chop the cabbage into quarters and toss in the Bacon/Oil mixture.

Wrap each quarter in tin foil making sure you have some of the bacon bits in each parcel and put on the BBQ (middle shelf). Takes about 45 mins, turn the parcels half way through.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:34 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

If you like Oysters, they taste great BBQ'd

Open the oysters and in each half put a little knob of garlic butter and and a very small amount of fresh chopped parsley. Sprinkle a few fresh breadcrumbs over the top.

Pop on the BBQ for a minute or two, just enough to melt the butter but dont overcook the oysters.

Delicious !
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:48 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

OOOOH, just remembered another good recipe my aunt in brisbane gave me last year.

Mango kebabs

Chop a couple of mangoes into chunks and thread about 5 or 6 chunks onto each skewer.

Mix some maple syrup (about 2 or 3 tablespoons depending how sweet the mangoes are), Juice of 1 lime and and about 1/3 of a thing of soft butter together and brush generously over the mango kebabs.

Cook until the mango is brown on all sides, Brush more butter mix on if necessary.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

dribble dribble....

OK, of to make dinner now!!

We always used to have garlic bread on the BBQ to, boring but nice!
My mum isn't very adventurous with cooking so we usually just had snags etc. Which of course was fine when we were kids!!

I'll have to remember this thread next summer in Oz!! Though, have some great cook books too!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The BBQ thread

Originally posted by podgypossum

When we first moved in our house we bought a real flashy 6 burner stainless steel gas BBQ, with hood and all the other bells and whistles except a revolving roasting spit. Anyone else here used one?
I have this yearning to do a roast on it, but i'm unsure of the mess it will make and how well it cooks on there.

I have a lamb and pork joint waiting to be tested out...

Now...all you BBQ lovers...any good recipes apart from snags?
Ask the BBQ expert (Dotty)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.