British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBQ gas cylinders (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbq-gas-cylinders-662606/)

stuckinblighty Apr 4th 2010 10:31 pm

BBQ gas cylinders

Swap and go ? refill ?
Which do you do and where do you do it ?
(i am fully aware of the 'gas bbq's are shite' argument so i dont wanna hear that)

Thanks folks

The Bloke Apr 4th 2010 10:53 pm

Re: BBQ gas cylinders

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 8472244)
Swap and go ? refill ?
(i am fully aware of the 'gas bbq's are shite' argument so i dont wanna hear that)

Thanks folks

Try your local hardware store or service station, as most are now "swap and go".

LouiseR Apr 4th 2010 11:03 pm

Swap and go ? refill ?

Thanks folks

We refill at Matilda, $20 for 9.5kg :)

cresta57 Apr 5th 2010 5:33 am

We have 2 X 9 kilo's, one is a swapngo for the BBQ we take camping. The other is a refill one we own, it's for the patio heater. We take both with us & have a third small cylinder [a 3 kilo I think]that I use if I go fishing up the beach.

Demented Ferret Apr 6th 2010 11:45 am

Swap and go ? refill ?

Thanks folks

Connect to town gas, and convert your BBq from LPG to Natural, you'll never be caught short.

Dale

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 8475665)
Connect to town gas, and convert your BBq from LPG to Natural, you'll never be caught short.

Dale

Only useful if you have town gas of course. Gas cylinders or electric here.

Demented Ferret Apr 6th 2010 11:57 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8475680)
Only useful if you have town gas of course. Gas cylinders or electric here.

Of Course

fish.01 Apr 6th 2010 1:47 pm

I go to a small Brisbane camping shop that will only charge half if the cylinder is already half full - unlike a lot of places.

BAY Apr 7th 2010 4:32 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 8475931)
I go to a small Brisbane camping shop that will only charge half if the cylinder is already half full - unlike a lot of places.

Why swap a gas cylinder when its half full ? I swap it when its empty :confused:

POW148 Apr 7th 2010 5:58 am

I use 2 x 18Kg gas bottles (36 lts of gas). I brought a Servo filler gas connection for both bottles. I refill at the servo for less than $23 per bottle (Less than half price of what the camping shop or where ever you get your bottles refilled charge). The $75 it cost me for the connection paid for itself in 3 refills.

I also refill my 45Kg bottle from the servo for a grand total of $55.00 (90 ltrs of gas). ($110 from the local shop).

Do the math. It makes sense even if it is a bit illegal. It certainly helps having a local servo run by someone who only wants to make money.

Barney:thumbup:

fish.01 Apr 7th 2010 8:22 am

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8477922)
Why swap a gas cylinder when its half full ? I swap it when its empty :confused:

I don't swap it. I own the Gas bottle and pay to get it topped up before going camping. A lot of places will still charge for a whole bottle even though it only needed half filled.

stuckinblighty Apr 7th 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret (Post 8475665)

Dale

It'll only cost a grand for the pleasure for the local tradie :(

Demented Ferret Apr 7th 2010 11:57 am

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 8478643)
It'll only cost a grand for the pleasure for the local tradie :(

I am the local Trad:thumbsup:ie

cresta57 Apr 7th 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by POW148 (Post 8478026)
I use 2 x 18Kg gas bottles (36 lts of gas). I brought a Servo filler gas connection for both bottles. I refill at the servo for less than $23 per bottle (Less than half price of what the camping shop or where ever you get your bottles refilled charge). The $75 it cost me for the connection paid for itself in 3 refills.

I also refill my 45Kg bottle from the servo for a grand total of $55.00 (90 ltrs of gas). ($110 from the local shop).

Do the math. It makes sense even if it is a bit illegal. It certainly helps having a local servo run by someone who only wants to make money.

Barney:thumbup:

That's standard procedure throughout most of the U.S, Caribbean, Pacific Islands & NZ. My dad had a hose made up & used it all over the world while he was sailing. When he got here he was told it's illegal:rolleyes:

fish.01 Apr 7th 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 8478773)
That's standard procedure throughout most of the U.S, Caribbean, Pacific Islands & NZ. My dad had a hose made up & used it all over the world while he was sailing. When he got here he was told it's illegal:rolleyes:

We're 20 years ahead in caring for our people :rofl: