Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBQ - which is best

View Poll Results: What's the best type of BBQ?
Gas - Mains
5.56%
Gas - Bottle
16.67%
Charcoal - Webber
38.89%
Charcoal - Traditional (built in/half drum)
38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

BBQ - which is best

Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Question BBQ - which is best

I reckon a Webber, that you can roast stuff in but my wife wants gas.

Gas - Mains: easy to light and gets hot quick
Gas - Bottle: all the above, portable but how do you know when the bottle is about to run out?
Charcoal - Webber: portable, can roast stuff in, takes a long time to heat up, easy for kids to accidentaly touch & get burned on.
Charcoal, not Webber: traditional.

What do you reckon?

Last edited by renth; Sep 7th 2003 at 12:31 am.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:44 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBQ - which is best

Originally posted by renth

Gas - Bottle: all the above, portable but how do you know when the bottle is about to run out?
Charcoal - Webber: portable, can roast stuff in, takes a long time to heat up, easy for kids to accidentaly touch & get burned on.

What do you reckon?
tell your wife this story ,renth ,My sister in law tried to light a gas Weber, which had gone out, she neglected to turn the gas off,which had built up under the lid, needless to say in the ensuing explosion, she ended up badly singed no eye brows ,the lid to the weber ended up in the neighbours yard. I have a Weber and you can,t beat any thing cooked on it. but my best Barbie is an old truck brake drum, tured upside down ,with the old rim bolted to it , with a steel plate laid across the top, you cant beat it for cooking snags ,chops or steaks........ MM
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Stainless steel electric for minimum fuss and maximum cleanliness. Try a public one for fit.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 6:52 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Charcoal, we tried the gas ones but just incinerated anything we tried to cook on it
Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

What do you reckon?
I haven't got a clue what a Webber or Gas mains bbq is. You can tell that I am still in England! Please enlighten me.

No chance of barbequeing anything over here now it is raining and quite cool. My heating is well and truly on.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
I haven't got a clue what a Webber or Gas mains bbq is. You can tell that I am still in England! Please enlighten me.

No chance of barbequeing anything over here now it is raining and quite cool. My heating is well and truly on.
This is a webber
Attached Thumbnails BBQ - which is best-webber.jpg  
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Can't you roast in a normal one with a hood?
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:28 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

What do you reckon?
Buy a screw in valve called "Gasfuse"
It's a safety device which cuts the supply if it detects a leak,and has a gauge on top telling you how much is left.Get 'em from Bunnings,Big W,woolies etc for about 20-30 dollars.
Alternatively,try pouring hot water over the bottle,and feel the cool part at the bottom-this'll tell you how much is left too-not as accurate,and I'm informed it's safe,but don't hold me responsible.

BB-BOOOM !!
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:49 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Get a charcoal weber.

You can grill, roast or....my favorite...smoke food.

Recipe for your new weber

2 Tailor fillets
A pile of damp banksia leaves.

Soak the leaves for a few hours, get the coals hot, then as they start to cool stick the leaves on (a layer about 3 inches thick). Stick the fillets on and whack on the lid. 15 minutes later serve. WOW they taste good
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:53 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Half oil drum with briquettes - just like back home in South Africa; although a Weber is a bloody good invention. Found "Hot Beads" at our local Wyevale nursery, supposed to be THE Aussie charcoal - is this true?