British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBC's iPlayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbcs-iplayer-507202/)

jellibaby Nov 1st 2008 1:15 am

Re: BBC's iPlayer

Originally Posted by Luckyone (Post 6908891)
For what it's worth....I tried the Hide IP deal last night for the 3 hour trial, it was brill. I do have a very decent internet speed, and I normally use torrents for watching UK TV.
Regards your issues identified - none applied to my experience-as yet.
1. It is fast enough to stream video realtime
2. Yes, on my PC, but then hooked up to full screen on my flat screen TV
3. Don't have either, so not a problem to me.
4. Can't comment as yet, but the version I now have bought (same as trial version) is working just fine, simple operation.
5. My firewall was fine, no changes - maybe due to previous torrent use?
6. I use IE

All in all, this is great, at this time. Maybe the whole thing will get shut down in a short time frame but in the meantime I'm watching all ITV stuff on their catchup page, BBC IPlayer and Channel 4 - without any problems, buffering or other issues.....it's like being in the UK again -yeh.

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotKansas (Post 6903265)
HideIP has some serious issues:
1. It isn't fast enough to stream video real time
2. Only works on a PC
3. Not Mac or iPhone compatible
4. One of the main complaints is patches and updates - have you looked for newer versions?
5. Have to reconfigure your firewall to allow HideIP to access the web
6. It Hangs Firefox browser

I agree with LUCKYONE
1. it IS fast enough to stream and linking the PC to the LCD TV it will play up full screen
2. I have a PC so that's all I'm worried about
3. Don't own and Mac and wouldn't want to watch it on an iPhone anyway
4. Version I have works fine not interested in upgrades - no messages on patches
5. Have not touched my firewall and its McAfee
6. Use Internet Explorer and have no probs

FrenchKriss Dec 4th 2008 7:26 pm

I've tried every which way to get iPlayer working, with little success, before I found this thread. I couldn't get on with HideIP, it kept hanging my browser and I had to restore the computer and hack about in the registry to get rid of it. I've since tried free trials for VPN services, as they don't require me to download anything or run any programs ... and they actually work. Any recomendations for the cheapest?

Hutch Dec 4th 2008 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by FrenchKriss (Post 7037627)
I've tried every which way to get iPlayer working, with little success, before I found this thread. I couldn't get on with HideIP, it kept hanging my browser and I had to restore the computer and hack about in the registry to get rid of it. I've since tried free trials for VPN services, as they don't require me to download anything or run any programs ... and they actually work. Any recomendations for the cheapest?

If you click on the first link in my signature and then read the comments at the end of the article, you'll find a couple of recommendations for cheap VPN hosts.

dinner-dash Feb 11th 2009 9:41 pm

any latest updates to this thread please

MarkMC Feb 11th 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 6916110)
It won't let you signup from here in Aus, but works fine if you get someone in the UK to signup for you.

:thumbsup:

Or sign up using a VPN.....

JCSUPERMOTO Feb 11th 2009 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 6916110)
Here's another site worth a look..... http://www.tvcatchup.com

Use it to watch BBC 1 2 & 3, ITV 1 2 3 & 4, channel 4, More4 and E4, Channel 5 and 5 US.

It won't let you signup from here in Aus, but works fine if you get someone in the UK to signup for you.

:thumbsup:

So if i join tv catch up in the uk,when i get to australia we can watch live tv off there?
Or am i missing vital cogs? :D

Hutch Feb 11th 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by dinner-dash (Post 7276351)
any latest updates to this thread please

The guides in my signature, which cover *all* eventualities, are up to date. :)

dave99 Feb 12th 2009 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7276396)
The guides in my signature, which cover *all* eventualities, are up to date. :)

Unfortunately theres no free solution in the links it all costs money, I would rather have a free hack !

Until I see one its back to torrents for now I guess

Hutch Feb 12th 2009 2:34 am

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 7276660)
Unfortunately theres no free solution in the links it all costs money, I would rather have a free hack !

Until I see one its back to torrents for now I guess

You only need to splash the cash if you want to watch live TV.

DunRoaminTheUK Feb 12th 2009 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7276914)
You only need to splash the cash if you want to watch live TV.

My media extender doesn't support H.264 though so I can't use IPlayerDownloader, which means I still need to pay for DRM removal software right?

What's the native format of the video file when the iPlayer downloads on a Windows (non-mobile) platform?

Cheers.

Hutch Feb 12th 2009 4:03 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7276997)
My media extender doesn't support H.264 though so I can't use IPlayerDownloader, which means I still need to pay for DRM removal software right?

What's the native format of the video file when the iPlayer downloads on a Windows (non-mobile) platform?

Cheers.

WMV I believe. There are free DRM removal options, but I found them to be so convoluted I splashed the cash on a commercial app (in the days when I used Windows that is).

highersights Feb 12th 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6901423)
I've updated the guide to watching UK TV that is linked in my signature. I was recently given the opportunity to test drive a new VPN company's connection and was blown away - full streaming, no hiccups or restreams whatsoever - on the High Quality stream. $10AUD a month and a US IP thrown in for good measure.

I can confirm this. We use it - well worth it.

JCSUPERMOTO Feb 12th 2009 7:48 pm

So i will be able to watch bbc live(motogp):rofl:and also save it if i cant watch it?

So once in oz i just do what again?:o

Sorry having a blonde moment:D

jase

jodrisco Apr 25th 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ExPatDave (Post 6886095)
Have tried several ways with limited success:
1. The free Proxies (if you can find one that works at all) tend to die and offer a very patchy service at best.
2. VPN works for iPhone too (proxies don't work for iPhone), but they can be expensive.

Cheapest VPN that works, and is fast enough to stream video with no buffering interruptions, is probably UKiVPN.com It costs $75AUD for 12 months and works flawlessly.

I'm using it on an iPhone which I've hooked up to a plasma. Picture is roughly equivalent to a compressed cable channel and really quite watchable.

This also allows you to watch over a 3G signal - though there's less buffering delay via WiFi.

I've been subscribed to UKiVPN for several months but find the service is VERY patchy i.e. most days I can't get a connection. Support is pretty dire too, I've emailed them 4 times over the last 2 weeks to complain about not being able to connect and asking for assistance, as yet, no response. Have now asked for refund. :thumbdown:

Hutch Apr 25th 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jodrisco (Post 7513385)
I've been subscribed to UKiVPN for several months but find the service is VERY patchy i.e. most days I can't get a connection. Support is pretty dire too, I've emailed them 4 times over the last 2 weeks to complain about not being able to connect and asking for assistance, as yet, no response. Have now asked for refund. :thumbdown:

Never used 'em myself, but people seem to have mixed experiences with these VPN companies whoever they go with. I'm with consult-here and have no issues, but someone else on these forums has been having issues with 'em. I think the way to go is work your way through them paying the one month fee until you find one that works for you.