British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBC's iPlayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbcs-iplayer-507202/)

sla453 Jan 18th 2008 1:03 pm

BBC's iPlayer

Has anybody currently in Oz tried this out - can you receive the programs??

I tried Channel 4's version whilst on a trip last year but couldn't receive any programs due to some sort of international broadcasting restriction thingy??

allankate Jan 18th 2008 1:49 pm

Re: BBC's iPlayer

Originally Posted by sla453 (Post 5805472)

I tried Channel 4's version whilst on a trip last year but couldn't receive any programs due to some sort of international broadcasting restriction thingy??

Just seen this http://www.sharewareplaza.com/Anonym...oad_14811.html

You can try 40 times before buying, or alternatively try www.tvcatchup.com you need to be a UK licence payer, but I'm sure you could create an account for say your parents or something ::D

Allan

aus2be Jan 18th 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by sla453 (Post 5805472)

When you connect to the BBC site they check your IP address. This tells them if you are in the UK or elsewhere, due to licensing restrictions they cannot allow you to connect from outside the UK.
There is a relatively easy workaround, by using a proxy server. Basically this means connecting to the proxy server (with a UK IP address) then connecting to the BBC site to download or view the iPlayer content.

This is from a previous post on the subject:

Go to the following page and look for a UK server

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Then in Internet Explorer go to Tool>Internet Option>Connections>Lan Settings and enter the IP address and port number and this may do the trick for you. You may need to restart Internet Explorer before the settings take effect.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

E17Avenue Jan 18th 2008 1:55 pm

This may get merged into a thread in The Lab that I started last week. Thanks for the info, will check it out.

aus2be Jan 18th 2008 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 5805684)

This type of thing is a good way to hide your IP address. The iPlayer actually needs to see that your IP is from the UK.
;)

sla453 Jan 18th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by aus2be (Post 5805700)
When you connect to the BBC site they check your IP address. This tells them if you are in the UK or elsewhere, due to licensing restrictions they cannot allow you to connect from outside the UK.
There is a relatively easy workaround, by using a proxy server. Basically this means connecting to the proxy server (with a UK IP address) then connecting to the BBC site to download or view the iPlayer content.

This is from a previous post on the subject:

Go to the following page and look for a UK server

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Then in Internet Explorer go to Tool>Internet Option>Connections>Lan Settings and enter the IP address and port number and this may do the trick for you. You may need to restart Internet Explorer before the settings take effect.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Nice 1 :thumbup:

ExPatDave Oct 17th 2008 7:24 pm

Have tried several ways with limited success:
1. The free Proxies (if you can find one that works at all) tend to die and offer a very patchy service at best.
2. VPN works for iPhone too (proxies don't work for iPhone), but they can be expensive.

Cheapest VPN that works, and is fast enough to stream video with no buffering interruptions, is probably UKiVPN.com It costs $75AUD for 12 months and works flawlessly.

I'm using it on an iPhone which I've hooked up to a plasma. Picture is roughly equivalent to a compressed cable channel and really quite watchable.

This also allows you to watch over a 3G signal - though there's less buffering delay via WiFi.

the_nanny_uk2 Oct 17th 2008 8:03 pm

Go try www.uknova.com as you can then download any programme you want hun. Free.

j x

dickchap Oct 18th 2008 10:15 am

I've been following this thread with interest. I registered with uknova as i thought i would be able to download programmes but as I'm not very technical how do you actually down load a programme?:unsure:

MarkMC Oct 18th 2008 11:09 am

Signed up for a vpn effort (vpngates) told them I wanted a UK ip address rather than a US one - it seems to work fine on iplayer from sydney.

Check here:
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211

jellibaby Oct 18th 2008 11:52 am

Use this software - yes you DO have to pay for it but it is cheaper than a TV Licence! It's $50 for 2 years which is about £20quid or £10 per year I mean come on its a no brainer. Its BBC TV and radio - NOT sure - even though its an IP hide whether ITV will download - I can not seem to get Corrie to stream so can't say if paying the money will give you ITV or not - but it certainly gives you BBC iPlayer FOR CERTAIN.

http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/purchase.htm

graham__smith Oct 19th 2008 4:31 am

Originally Posted by jellibaby (Post 6887610)
Use this software - yes you DO have to pay for it but it is cheaper than a TV Licence! It's $50 for 2 years which is about £20quid or £10 per year I mean come on its a no brainer. Its BBC TV and radio - NOT sure - even though its an IP hide whether ITV will download - I can not seem to get Corrie to stream so can't say if paying the money will give you ITV or not - but it certainly gives you BBC iPlayer FOR CERTAIN.

I can confirm that this software works.

I used it to stream from BBC iplayer.
Can also download with the BBC iplayer download manager.

Streams from ITV and Channel4 as well.

This was using the three hour trial. So i will buy the full version.

Does anyone know if you can download from ITV and channel 4? like you can with the bbc.

Hutch Oct 19th 2008 6:58 am

Originally Posted by graham__smith (Post 6889022)
Does anyone know if you can download from ITV and channel 4? like you can with the bbc.

Channel 4 operate the 4oD service, which is much the same as iPlayer - download what you want, watch it within 7 days - DRM prevents copying. At the moment ITV operate only a catch-up service which enables you to watch online, but not download.

Could you tell me how solid the download stream was from hidemyip? Did it stutter or cut out much when you were watching - or did you just download things?

graham__smith Oct 19th 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6889118)
Channel 4 operate the 4oD service, which is much the same as iPlayer - download what you want, watch it within 7 days - DRM prevents copying. At the moment ITV operate only a catch-up service which enables you to watch online, but not download.

Could you tell me how solid the download stream was from hidemyip? Did it stutter or cut out much when you were watching - or did you just download things?

Hi Hutch

My wife watched River City on iplayer(Tragic i know) streaming on iplayer. No stuttering but stopped to buffer a few times towards the end.

I downloaded stephen frys america on iplayer. I was surprised that it worked but it did.

Was going to watch taggart on Itv but it buffered a fair bit. Didnt try it long though.

I then watched Grand Designs on channel 4. No stuttering at all.

Then I switched to an american IP nd watched the simpsons on fox.com no stuttering.

Its incredibly easy to change between american and UK IPs it just refreshes the browser when you do it.

The one downside was it was quite slow to navigate the websites when using the software. so it migh be useful to navigate to the program you want, bookmark it and then turn on the program.

ThisIsNotKansas Oct 21st 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jellibaby (Post 6887610)

UK NOVA issues:
1. It's a file-sharing network, so you serve up content once downloaded to maintain a specific ratio
2. Blocked by some ISPs
3. Needs you to run a separate BitTorrent client
4. Has lots of bogus / risky content - beware viruses

OINK:
1. Was pretty good till it collapsed under law suits.

HideIP Software Issues:
1. Need to run special software on your machine
2. Not available for iPhone or similar mobile devices
3. Needs lots of upgrades and patches - is still a bit buggy

VPN Solutions:
1. Are expensive (cheapest is $75AUD)

Free Proxies:
1. Are flaky at best - too slow / intermittent
2. 90% don't work
3. The rest die after a few hours
4. Tend to be slow
5. Serious privacy issues

Best / most reliable option looks like having to shop around for the cheapest VPN solution. If you find one cheaper than above, please post.

jellibaby Oct 23rd 2008 2:38 am

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotKansas (Post 6896705)
UK NOVA issues:

HideIP Software Issues:
1. Need to run special software on your machine
2. Not available for iPhone or similar mobile devices
3. Needs lots of upgrades and patches - is still a bit buggy

No disrespect for all of your research or anything but HideIP is extremely reliable for us here in Port Mac. Yes - software is installed on the PC but its simply click it - it hides the IP then go on to BBC iPlayer and watch whatever. YES - best to download as the streaming rates are very slow but have not had a problem downloading so far. Have not encountered any patches or upgrade messages so far!!!!!!!

Hutch Oct 23rd 2008 2:41 am

I've updated the guide to watching UK TV that is linked in my signature. I was recently given the opportunity to test drive a new VPN company's connection and was blown away - full streaming, no hiccups or restreams whatsoever - on the High Quality stream. $10AUD a month and a US IP thrown in for good measure.

herrchook Oct 23rd 2008 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6901423)
I've updated the guide to watching UK TV that is linked in my signature. I was recently given the opportunity to test drive a new VPN company's connection and was blown away - full streaming, no hiccups or restreams whatsoever - on the High Quality stream. $10AUD a month and a US IP thrown in for good measure.

....or, get OH to get a new job working from home which comes complete with company VPN so he can access corporate stuff in the UK;):p.

Great article Hutch, thanks for taking the time to do that.

BTW, how come I "sometimes" get jiggy with the UKNova vicar's son (so to speak) but my score is in the blue and they never complain???:confused::thumbsup:

Hutch Oct 23rd 2008 7:30 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 6901563)
....or, get OH to get a new job working from home which comes complete with company VPN so he can access corporate stuff in the UK;):p.

Great article Hutch, thanks for taking the time to do that.

BTW, how come I "sometimes" get jiggy with the UKNova vicar's son (so to speak) but my score is in the blue and they never complain???:confused::thumbsup:

Ah yes - but corporate networks usually block inbound data like streaming video content. :sneaky:

And as to UKNova - yea - my account is seriously in the black with them too. In fact:Uploaded 20.18GB
Downloaded 98.39GB

:lol:

herrchook Oct 23rd 2008 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6901862)
Ah yes - but corporate networks usually block inbound data like streaming video content. :sneaky:

And as to UKNova - yea - my account is seriously in the black with them too. In fact:Uploaded 20.18GB
Downloaded 98.39GB

:lol:

I'm afraid my XFactor and River City addiction have had a serious impact on my stats.......

Uploaded17.28GB
Downloaded156.35GB
:lol::ohmy::lol:

Hutch Oct 23rd 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 6902204)
I'm afraid my XFactor and River City addiction have had a serious impact on my stats.......

Uploaded17.28GB
Downloaded156.35GB
:lol::ohmy::lol:

Haha! Man - if the won't ban us - who will they ban?

ThisIsNotKansas Oct 23rd 2008 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by jellibaby (Post 6901413)
No disrespect for all of your research or anything but HideIP is extremely reliable for us here in Port Mac. Yes - software is installed on the PC but its simply click it - it hides the IP then go on to BBC iPlayer and watch whatever. YES - best to download as the streaming rates are very slow but have not had a problem downloading so far. Have not encountered any patches or upgrade messages so far!!!!!!!

HideIP has some serious issues:
1. It isn't fast enough to stream video real time
2. Only works on a PC
3. Not Mac or iPhone compatible
4. One of the main complaints is patches and updates - have you looked for newer versions?
5. Have to reconfigure your firewall to allow HideIP to access the web
6. It Hangs Firefox browser

I think it currently has too many issues to be usable by most people. Perhaps when all the bugs are ironed out and they upgrade their servers to handle video streaming it might be viable - until then it's not going to deliver what I want. VPN has none of these problems.

I went for Dave the Expat's solution http://www.ukivpn.com , as that's the cheapest of the vpn solutions. And it's working really well.

herrchook Oct 23rd 2008 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6902273)
Haha! Man - if the won't ban us - who will they ban?

lol, absolutely.

Actually, I hadn't looked at my stats for ages and am shocked that I've actually uploaded over 17Gb - that's about $80 worth on my current plan :ohmy:. Note to self - must do better:lol:

lee28 Oct 24th 2008 9:31 am

http://www.news.astraweb.com/signup.html

then

http://nzbmatrix.com/index.php

$18 a month and great for pretty much everything you need.

:thumbsup:

Hutch Oct 24th 2008 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by lee28 (Post 6905438)
http://www.news.astraweb.com/signup.html

then

http://nzbmatrix.com/index.php

$18 a month and great for pretty much everything you need.

Totally - news groups all the way. Those of us who use Internode as our ISP have full unrestricted access to a Giganews feed - complete with 240 day retention and *all* the binary newsgroups. ;)

Luckyone Oct 25th 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotKansas (Post 6903265)
2. Only works on a PC
4. One of the main complaints is patches and updates - have you looked for newer versions?

I think it currently has too many issues to be usable by most people. Perhaps when all the bugs are ironed out and they upgrade their servers to handle video streaming it might be viable - until then it's not going to deliver what I want. VPN has none of these problems.

I went for Dave the Expat's solution http://www.ukivpn.com , as that's the cheapest of the vpn solutions. And it's working really well.

For what it's worth....I tried the Hide IP deal last night for the 3 hour trial, it was brill. I do have a very decent internet speed, and I normally use torrents for watching UK TV.
Regards your issues identified - none applied to my experience-as yet.
1. It is fast enough to stream video realtime
2. Yes, on my PC, but then hooked up to full screen on my flat screen TV
3. Don't have either, so not a problem to me.
4. Can't comment as yet, but the version I now have bought (same as trial version) is working just fine, simple operation.
5. My firewall was fine, no changes - maybe due to previous torrent use?
6. I use IE

All in all, this is great, at this time. Maybe the whole thing will get shut down in a short time frame but in the meantime I'm watching all ITV stuff on their catchup page, BBC IPlayer and Channel 4 - without any problems, buffering or other issues.....it's like being in the UK again -yeh.

Hutch Oct 25th 2008 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Luckyone (Post 6908891)
...it's like being in the UK again -yeh.

Stuck inside watching Dickinson's Real Deal on the telly?

Luckyone Oct 25th 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6908917)
Stuck inside watching Dickinson's Real Deal on the telly?

Never caught that one I'm afraid, and don't think I'll be trying it either by the sound of it:p
If you saw the crap TV we get here in Canada (only my opinion, but the one that matters eh?) you'd understand why being able to watch all the equally crap Brit TV is such a refreshing change.:thumbsup:

Hutch Oct 26th 2008 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Luckyone (Post 6909004)
Never caught that one I'm afraid, and don't think I'll be trying it either by the sound of it:p
If you saw the crap TV we get here in Canada (only my opinion, but the one that matters eh?) you'd understand why being able to watch all the equally crap Brit TV is such a refreshing change.:thumbsup:

Oh believe me - it's every bit as shit here in Oz - hence the guide in my signature. ;)

herrchook Oct 28th 2008 12:31 am

Here's another site worth a look..... http://www.tvcatchup.com

Use it to watch BBC 1 2 & 3, ITV 1 2 3 & 4, channel 4, More4 and E4, Channel 5 and 5 US.

It won't let you signup from here in Aus, but works fine if you get someone in the UK to signup for you.

jellibaby Nov 1st 2008 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Luckyone (Post 6908891)
For what it's worth....I tried the Hide IP deal last night for the 3 hour trial, it was brill. I do have a very decent internet speed, and I normally use torrents for watching UK TV.
Regards your issues identified - none applied to my experience-as yet.
1. It is fast enough to stream video realtime
2. Yes, on my PC, but then hooked up to full screen on my flat screen TV
3. Don't have either, so not a problem to me.
4. Can't comment as yet, but the version I now have bought (same as trial version) is working just fine, simple operation.
5. My firewall was fine, no changes - maybe due to previous torrent use?
6. I use IE

All in all, this is great, at this time. Maybe the whole thing will get shut down in a short time frame but in the meantime I'm watching all ITV stuff on their catchup page, BBC IPlayer and Channel 4 - without any problems, buffering or other issues.....it's like being in the UK again -yeh.

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotKansas (Post 6903265)
2. Only works on a PC

I agree with LUCKYONE
1. it IS fast enough to stream and linking the PC to the LCD TV it will play up full screen
2. I have a PC so that's all I'm worried about
3. Don't own and Mac and wouldn't want to watch it on an iPhone anyway
4. Version I have works fine not interested in upgrades - no messages on patches
5. Have not touched my firewall and its McAfee
6. Use Internet Explorer and have no probs

FrenchKriss Dec 4th 2008 7:26 pm

I've tried every which way to get iPlayer working, with little success, before I found this thread. I couldn't get on with HideIP, it kept hanging my browser and I had to restore the computer and hack about in the registry to get rid of it. I've since tried free trials for VPN services, as they don't require me to download anything or run any programs ... and they actually work. Any recomendations for the cheapest?

Hutch Dec 4th 2008 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by FrenchKriss (Post 7037627)
I've tried every which way to get iPlayer working, with little success, before I found this thread. I couldn't get on with HideIP, it kept hanging my browser and I had to restore the computer and hack about in the registry to get rid of it. I've since tried free trials for VPN services, as they don't require me to download anything or run any programs ... and they actually work. Any recomendations for the cheapest?

If you click on the first link in my signature and then read the comments at the end of the article, you'll find a couple of recommendations for cheap VPN hosts.

dinner-dash Feb 11th 2009 9:41 pm

any latest updates to this thread please

MarkMC Feb 11th 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 6916110)
It won't let you signup from here in Aus, but works fine if you get someone in the UK to signup for you.

Or sign up using a VPN.....

JCSUPERMOTO Feb 11th 2009 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 6916110)
Here's another site worth a look..... http://www.tvcatchup.com

Use it to watch BBC 1 2 & 3, ITV 1 2 3 & 4, channel 4, More4 and E4, Channel 5 and 5 US.

So if i join tv catch up in the uk,when i get to australia we can watch live tv off there?
Or am i missing vital cogs? :D

Hutch Feb 11th 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by dinner-dash (Post 7276351)
any latest updates to this thread please

The guides in my signature, which cover *all* eventualities, are up to date. :)

dave99 Feb 12th 2009 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7276396)
The guides in my signature, which cover *all* eventualities, are up to date. :)

Unfortunately theres no free solution in the links it all costs money, I would rather have a free hack !

Until I see one its back to torrents for now I guess

Hutch Feb 12th 2009 2:34 am

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 7276660)
Unfortunately theres no free solution in the links it all costs money, I would rather have a free hack !

Until I see one its back to torrents for now I guess

You only need to splash the cash if you want to watch live TV.

DunRoaminTheUK Feb 12th 2009 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7276914)
You only need to splash the cash if you want to watch live TV.

My media extender doesn't support H.264 though so I can't use IPlayerDownloader, which means I still need to pay for DRM removal software right?

What's the native format of the video file when the iPlayer downloads on a Windows (non-mobile) platform?

Cheers.