BBC's iPlayer

Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:30 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC's iPlayer

What is the error?

It may be channel 4 being strickter than the others.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:34 am
Just Joined

pip12 is an unknown quantity at this point

It just said it was an error. When you remove the IP hide you get the message not available in your region. SO I guess they dont allow the IP to be hidden.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:56 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

You might need to use VPN to give you a uk ip address. I'm not sure, my vpn subscription has expired so I just down load the programs from the free places now.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

pip12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Using Hide my Ip I have managed to sign up to the TV catch up. That will do for now. Pity that cant get 4od, I intend to drop a line to the Hidemyid guys to see if that can sort a patch.

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:30 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with HideMyIP, proxies and indeed with VPNs is that they live or die by the IP addresses behind them. The BBC and the other telly companies will, of course, monitor this sort of thing and if they suspect an IP address is being used by people in other countries to watch UK telly, they'll simply block that IP.

The shelf life for a standard proxy is incredibly low. So low in fact that you'll save yourself a lot of ball-ache by not bothering with them at all. Due to the fact that they're open to the public, they're slow, unreliable and often down, because cheap bastards all over the world are trying to watch Top Gear.

HideMyIP is a commercial proxy service. So, because you're paying for the software and because only paying customers have access to their UK-located IP addresses, it works a lot better than the freebie ones. But don't be fooled - it's exactly the same as a free proxy, just with some funky looking software bolted on top to save you the three minutes it takes to set up a full proxy yourself. So while you're not sharing the IP with so many people and while you have some recourse with the company behind HideMyIP, it's just as liable to get spotted by the Beeb, Ch4 etc and taken down. When this happens, HideMyIP simply move to a new IP address, but the issue's always going to come up.

And to be honest, while VPN connections usually offer the best speed and most bullet-proof connection, they're just as susceptible to IP banning as the above. This is why, if you're paying for a commercial VPN service, you'll occasionally get an email telling you about their 'wonderful' new server located on a different IP address.

So to summarise, it's just one of those things you have to accept if you want to watch UK telly. For what it's worth, here's my view on the subject.

Most IP hiding, VPNs etc are a waste of money. Not because they don't work, but because they're fairly pointless. The only reason you need to proxy or VPN into a UK location is to watch live TV. But there's an 11 hour time difference between me and the UK, so if I settle down to watch UK telly in the evening, at best I'm going to get Cash in the Attic, Loose Women and a programme for schools on Channel 4 on Edward the Confessor. I guess if you're a big sports fan (which I'm not) then it might be worth it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. Yes, you can watch stuff that's already aired on the iPlayer, but why would you when it usually rebuffers all the time, is fairly ropey quality and requires a commercial software package or a VPN subscription.

The UK torrent sites (despite the fact that they're run by ignorant dullards with a god-complex) should always be your first stop. The programmes are usually ripped and uploaded within a few hours of transmission, they're taken from high quality digital TV, they have the adverts removed and they download in half an hour. Yes, you have to play the ratio game with them, but if you've got a home ADSL connection that's not using its upstream for most of the time, then you might as well.

Above and beyond the UK torrent sites, many British telly programs get upped to the mainstream torrent sites too. X Factor, Top Gear etc can all be found on the big American sites.

And if you hate the whole idea of torrents, then try the newsgroups. I'm with Internode and they throw in a free connection to the SuperNews feed (the best there is) which means I can download at the full speed of my connection (8Mb) and consequently can get a movie in about 20 minutes and a half hour TV show in about five. It's not as reliable in terms of choice as UK Nova or TheBox, but it's more flexible and faster and you're not forced to share anything with anyone. I have a bit of software running on my media PC which monitors the newsgroups and downloads the family's favourite shows the second they appear and them emails me to let me know it's done so. I can also get entire series downloaded this way in an evening.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I have a bit of software running on my media PC which monitors the newsgroups and downloads the family's favourite shows the second they appear and them emails me to let me know it's done so. I can also get entire series downloaded this way in an evening.
Would you mind mentioning the name of that bit of software
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Just a heads up...not sure if it's been mentioned as I didn't read the full thread. It was mentioned that the cheapest VPN is approx $75. I am using the 3 City Special with strongVPN for $55 US per year and it allows switching between US and UK IP addresses.

Last edited by theotherphil; Oct 26th 2009 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Would you mind mentioning the name of that bit of software
http://www.sabnzbd.org/
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Just a heads up...not sure if it's been mentioned as I didn't read the full thread. It was mentioned that the cheapest VPN is approx $75. I am using the 3 City Special with strongVPN for $55 US per year and it allows switching between US and UK IP addresses.
I use HidemyIP, it cost about $50 AUD for a year and I can choose between UK and US IP's. Touch wood, not had any real problems with it!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

gs.gecko is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with most of what Hutch says expect that a good VPN will have multiple IP addresses available and will change them quite often. This makes teh likelihood of being blocked a lot less. I was using UKTVabroad and it got blocked - they had a second server which worked for a while but because it was too vulnerable (and expensive) I went to TVexpat - they have 8 (I think) Uk servers and it's been fine.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

I have tried these guys in the past, seem pretty good although 4OD is not available at present.
www.proxyplayer.co.uk
VPNs are also a good option that I have used but I don;t want to send my entire internet traffics through the VPN whereas I am fine just sending webpages.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:19 am
Banned

stelensmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC iPlayer

BBC Iplayer is one of the most popular resources on the internet with good reason But unfortunately you can watch BBC Iplayer only in UK not outside.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iPlayer

Originally Posted by stelensmith
BBC Iplayer is one of the most popular resources on the internet with good reason But unfortunately you can watch BBC Iplayer only in UK not outside.
Not quite true, I watch it on my TV most days in Sydney.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
Thanks for putting me onto sabnzbd, I have it running on my linux based NAS, which is always on, the RSS feeds work great
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

hi freebo how do you use BBC Iplayer? i was using tor something or other, but it has stopped working today. very annoying as i was just about to settle down to watch holby city this morning. anyway any ideas. cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.