Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

That's always a good one: "...spend more time with the family". Only during the long unemployment period at the beginning does that happen!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We watched an episode this morning but dont know what series it was. A couple with 2 kids wanting to move to Adelaide. It was very typical, they wanted a better life for their kids and to somehow have more family time. He was a teacher and they sent him to an expensive private school where they told him he would earn £20,000 a year more than the UK, because of the exchange rate. They were told they could go down to the beach every day and would magically be able to spend more time with their kids. They all voted for Australia but my wife read the follow up and they didnt make the move. I think many people sit back and look at the facts and figures in the cold light of day and realise the dream is just that, a dream and not reality.
I watched it out of curiosity more the anything else. I've seen about 2 episodes of the other series. I found the lady pretty hard work and her dramatic reactions seemed rather over the top.

I really didn't understand her sentiments at all. She kept saying how they'd spent more time in the last 3 days in Oz as a family than they had in the previous couple of years. Surely they just needed a holiday to fix that? They obviously found the leave time to do the program so they could have used the same time to go anywhere. That magical family time had nothing to do with Oz and everything to do them needing to commit to some time off.

The guy said that he wouldn't want a role where he couldn't be a PE teacher and a House Master at the same time, then went to the school where the Principal told him they'd only promote to House Master from within. That's exactly what he didn't want and then went back to his wife said everything was OK

They concluded by saying if they made massive cut backs then they could do it, which seems a bit of an odd way to look at things. They did say that they'd rather be poor with the sunshine etc, but I got the distinct impression they were looking for some kind of magic wand that just wasn't there.

They first house looked nice, but freakin' hell those street looked like the very definition of a 'just add water' development to me.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
That's always a good one: "...spend more time with the family". Only during the long unemployment period at the beginning does that happen!
Do you know what, I thought this was a forum for people who wanted to live in Australia.

Is there anybody on here who is actually happy to be in Oz, or have you all made a terrible, terrible mistake.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:46 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Do you know what, I thought this was a forum for people who wanted to live in Australia.

Is there anybody on here who is actually happy to be in Oz, or have you all made a terrible, terrible mistake.
That is completely NOT what this forum is for. This forum is to SHARE thoughts, views and experiences, good or bad. In every country there are things which are positive and negative, Australia is no different to others in that respect. Going by your user name I am assuming that you are an Australian living in Leicester.....there can NOT be nothing at all that you do not like about Leicester, if there is then you are in a cocoon!
But to answer your question, I am indeed happy to be in Australia but I do find some things annoying, some things irritating and some things downright ****ed up!! On the flip side my wife and son are happy in the suburb we live and their happiness is whats most important....so when it all gets on top of me we just go to the beach or park and forget about reality for a while
I think you seem to be upset at our comments, yet if we are ALL saying the same thing then maybe, just maybe, the general consensus is that SOME people who do these shows really do not fully grasp the fundamentals of living in another country and how wages versus cost of living is not the same the world over. Plus, some of those people are just simply ridiculous and expect too much with unrealistic outcomes.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
The only way you can have more time with your family if you do the same job in Australia is if there are more hours in the day, it just doesnt make sense.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester

Calm yourself. I'm very happy here. Was very happy in the UK too. That's not to say there isn't crap in both places, like the rest of the world and it's perfectly ok to moan about the crap if that's what helps.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
That is completely NOT what this forum is for. This forum is to SHARE thoughts, views and experiences, good or bad. In every country there are things which are positive and negative, Australia is no different to others in that respect. Going by your user name I am assuming that you are an Australian living in Leicester.....there can NOT be nothing at all that you do not like about Leicester, if there is then you are in a cocoon!
But to answer your question, I am indeed happy to be in Australia but I do find some things annoying, some things irritating and some things downright ****ed up!! On the flip side my wife and son are happy in the suburb we live and their happiness is whats most important....so when it all gets on top of me we just go to the beach or park and forget about reality for a while
I think you seem to be upset at our comments, yet if we are ALL saying the same thing then maybe, just maybe, the general consensus is that SOME people who do these shows really do not fully grasp the fundamentals of living in another country and how wages versus cost of living is not the same the world over. Plus, some of those people are just simply ridiculous and expect too much with unrealistic outcomes.
I love Australia and until quite recently couldnt imagine living permanently anywhere else but things change. I dont like what has happened to Australia, I dont like how it is so expensive, I dont like how it is so restrictive, the red tape and bureacracy. These people get taken to Australia and put up in a nice house and shown all the good things.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The only way you can have more time with your family if you do the same job in Australia is if there are more hours in the day, it just doesnt make sense.
Not necessarily. What about those that traded a massive commute into a short one and had more flexible working hours. As you have quite rightly pointed out in the past, one size does not fit all.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
Not necessarily. What about those that traded a massive commute into a short one and had more flexible working hours. As you have quite rightly pointed out in the past, one size does not fit all.
And as I have said in the past you can change your circumstances a lot easier than moving to the other side of the world. What if you moved and then found your commutewas in fact longer? This belief you magically get more family time is weird especially when the average worker in Australia apparently works longer hours. It just doesnt add up.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We couldn't have changed ours by staying in the UK. We knew how long the commute would be before we came as we did our research.

Everyone's circumstances are different and although it isn't a given that you get more time together some people actually do.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
We couldn't have changed ours by staying in the UK. We knew how long the commute would be before we came as we did our research.

Everyone's circumstances are different and although it isn't a given that you get more time together some people actually do.
Absolutely and others dont.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I`m happier here and as a family we seem to be a lot better off. I landed on my feet job wise. But finding it was not easy. I hate all reality TV because it isn't real. My commute is a lot longer and mortgage much bigger. But I think I smile more and love my wife more than ever. I think we just made more effort with each other. I certainly wouldn't have made the move in an effort to improve our relationship as I`ve seen on one or two Ozzy migrant shows before now. The strains are enormous. Sorry for drifting on to Oz TV but its just one of the things which annoys me a little here.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
Sorry for drifting on to Oz TV but its just one of the things which annoys me a little here.
Oz tv annoys everyone, usually more than a little.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
I`m happier here and as a family we seem to be a lot better off. I landed on my feet job wise. But finding it was not easy. I hate all reality TV because it isn't real. My commute is a lot longer and mortgage much bigger. But I think I smile more and love my wife more than ever. I think we just made more effort with each other. I certainly wouldn't have made the move in an effort to improve our relationship as I`ve seen on one or two Ozzy migrant shows before now. The strains are enormous. Sorry for drifting on to Oz TV but its just one of the things which annoys me a little here.
Well done you!!! The "I smile more' comment speaks volumes......or indicates that there is no way we could find the bodies!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.