Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 7

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 7

Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

parlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really nice
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 7

Originally Posted by AdamL
I'm slightly addicted to this programme not for the videos of back home and it is taken with a pinch of salt but just out of curiosity to see some of oz on tv and to look at a snapshot of the different areas.

Anyone know of any other programmes or documentaries that are worth a watch?! Can't seem to find any on the web!
http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=paddiesdownunder

Documentary series that follows three sets of friends who have moved to Sydney in search of good weather and some relief from the economic gloom at home in Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLWthNiUvc

Phil Down under:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeAl...F24656D2FCA059

Last edited by parlex; Feb 10th 2013 at 10:38 am.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:46 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamL
I'm slightly addicted to this programme not for the videos of back home and it is taken with a pinch of salt but just out of curiosity to see some of oz on tv and to look at a snapshot of the different areas.

Anyone know of any other programmes or documentaries that are worth a watch?! Can't seem to find any on the web!
There's a new programme being advertised on the "Home" channel. It's called Location, Location, Location Australia (I think!) and starts soon.
Unfortunately I can't get it on Freeview but if you have Sky or cable you should be ok.

Julie x
Old Nov 19th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Applied for WDU about 18 months ago and had a phone call yesterday from them asking for information.Thought it was a wind up at first but they spoke to us individually and will get back to us in December if we progress. Could be on the 2015 series as a family of ping pom poms split down the middle.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
There's a new programme being advertised on the "Home" channel. It's called Location, Location, Location Australia (I think!) and starts soon.
Unfortunately I can't get it on Freeview but if you have Sky or cable you should be ok.

Julie x
It's been going a year or so. Not bad, the couple are no Phil and Kirsty though It's not an 'expat' thing but that's a bonus in my book.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've only watched one of these sorts of programs, can't remember what it was called but I think Phil Spencer was in it. It pissed me off no end, because it portrayed Australia as some sort of Utopia where everyone lived next to the ocean and the Sydney Harbor Bridge, and spent their days sunning, surfing and nattering around the bar-b-que.

I'm not knocking Australia, I've lived here all my life and there are a lot of good things about it. But heaven help anyone foolish enough to base their understanding of the country on these types of programs, and worse, arrive here expecting a red carpet to the nearest beach. I can't begin to imagine how they feel when reality hits them between the eyes.

Research, research, research - and preferably not from a telly program
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Applied for WDU about 18 months ago and had a phone call yesterday from them asking for information.Thought it was a wind up at first but they spoke to us individually and will get back to us in December if we progress. Could be on the 2015 series as a family of ping pom poms split down the middle.
be aware, the production company want viewers, the subject is OLD so they will want to make you fresh and 'interesting' .

.the best way of making people interesting is to portray them as complete ****wits...or completely dysfunctional...or totally naive...or unlikeable... or haughty...or simple... or crass... or ...or ....or..... or.......

TAKE YER PICK.

Not that I have anything at all against the media and how programs like this fail to represent the realities, the average, both sides.... Wouldn't be worth watching if it was all about ordinary people making decisions and getting on with life now would it?