British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBC - Wanted Down Under (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbc-wanted-down-under-415830/)

jonah38 Jan 17th 2008 1:06 pm

Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by cinderella (Post 5800142)
Bob from today's programme was a presenter on Granada Reports for years. All those from the North West will remember him.

Yep. Recognised his voice first, very distinctive, but he looks old now. Still had his tv presenter tone and views though.

His views of Cairns where spot on, nice to visit and see but very limited for him and houses are expensive.

Cairns is indeed a smallish town really with a harbour and Lagoon area. No beach to praise really. Although the beaches further north are nice (palm cove etc), you cant really swim at your leasure due to the crocs. The scuba diving sites off Cairns are fantastic though.

Personally i wouldnt choose Cairns if had a young family, very limited for children

Ronnie and Deb Jan 17th 2008 1:14 pm

Hi, We agree with Wardy what a depressing show. We are moving to Cairns this year and todays programme has made me re think our plans. I really enjoyed the last one on Cairns and was looking forward to todays show, only to be very disappointed. Everything about it just felt totally 'Wierd' ,I hope Tuesdays show is better. :(

FoxyRuthie Jan 17th 2008 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ronnie and Deb (Post 5800340)
Hi, We agree with Wardy what a depressing show. We are moving to Cairns this year and todays programme has made me re think our plans. I really enjoyed the last one on Cairns and was looking forward to todays show, only to be very disappointed. Everything about it just felt totally 'Wierd' ,I hope Tuesdays show is better. :(

I have to agree too, I was really looking forward to todays too having met the couple too. It's a shame Cairns isn't really for them but its not for everyone, each to their own tastes. I think that really its down to the way the show is edited, they would have gone with showing the negative comments rather than the positive ones as the couple kept picking UK. In short Cairns isn't suitable for them just like places other people love wouldn't be suitable for us.

We love Cairns and nothing is going to put us off now! True house prices have risen but they have in the UK too and true that some groceries are more expensive but some are cheaper, its swings and round abouts in my opinion!

Ronnie & Deb - when are you off to Cairns? we're hoping to go in June

:D

Ronnie and Deb Jan 17th 2008 1:28 pm

Hi, We too are hoping to go in June, just waiting to sell our house and its not going at all well. When we watched you on the programme last week, we got really excited to go but today's programme but a dampner on things.
We have secured a plot of land in the Trinity Beach area when we visited last year but we are having trouble finding a builder up to the standards in the Sunshine Coast. We visited a show village in Kawana Lakes and the houses were fantastic but sadly the builders there don't go up as far as Cairns.
We wish you luck anyway Ronnie and Deb :thumbsup:

wardy2 Jan 17th 2008 1:50 pm

Dont let todays programme put you off the house we have looked at are still cheaper than other areas we have looked at in Brisbane/Perth etc.

Todays show was all negative not sure why and I certainly cant see it being a 20 minute drive to a coffeee shop in Kewarra beach and as for the cost of 2 bannanas well I would rather pay that than £10 + it costs to go to the local swimming pool here when its free there, outdoors to.

I think eventually everything evens itself out.

FoxyRuthie Jan 17th 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by wardy2 (Post 5800493)
Dont let todays programme put you off the house we have looked at are still cheaper than other areas we have looked at in Brisbane/Perth etc.

Todays show was all negative not sure why and I certainly cant see it being a 20 minute drive to a coffeee shop in Kewarra beach and as for the cost of 2 bannanas well I would rather pay that than £10 + it costs to go to the local swimming pool here when its free there, outdoors to.

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

wardy2 Jan 17th 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie (Post 5800516)
Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Bix Jan 17th 2008 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by jonah38 (Post 5800307)
Yep. Recognised his voice first, very distinctive, but he looks old now. Still had his tv presenter tone and views though.

His views of Cairns where spot on, nice to visit and see but very limited for him and houses are expensive.

Cairns is indeed a smallish town really with a harbour and Lagoon area. No beach to praise really. Although the beaches further north are nice (palm cove etc), you cant really swim at your leasure due to the crocs. The scuba diving sites off Cairns are fantastic though.

Personally i wouldnt choose Cairns if had a young family, very limited for children

It is a shame but you seem to have "missed" what Cairns is and what it is about.

The beach at the seafront is not a beach.
It is not supposed to be a beach.
It is not advertised as a beach.
It is mudflats and the breeding ground and sanctuary for much wildlife.

The beaches are on the Northern side of the CBD and yes they are in Cairns. You make it sound like you have to travel for days to get to them. It's as little as 5 minutes up the road to the first one.

"Very limited for children". Sorry, but that's bolox of the highest order.
I have never lived in such a family orientated place and one that provides
so much for their kids.

House prices high ?
Tell that to Perthites, Sydneysiders, Melbournians et al. Not many would agree. Prices have risen and are still rising but are still on the low side for many of Aus cities.

Bix Jan 17th 2008 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by wardy2 (Post 5800493)

I wish this was broadcast over here so we could have a good laugh.

wardy2 Jan 17th 2008 2:44 pm

I think you would find yourself throwing bannanas at the tv Bix its daytime viewing at its best, oh and add that pinch of salt. ;)

Bordy Jan 17th 2008 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 5800726)
I wish this was broadcast over here so we could have a good laugh.

I'll try & get it for you & post it up. :thumbsup:

zanderman Jan 17th 2008 4:54 pm

Thought it was funny that the old boy was constantly saying that they might end up going their separate ways etc, clearly very much in love!!

Was also trying to work out what she saw in him, age difference has never bothered me but she must have been about 70 years younger than him!! :rofl:

Basty Jan 17th 2008 5:10 pm

Hi all

I have been watching this show twice a day, once in the morning and then again at night with OH. Havent' watched todays but understand from above they went to Cairns - WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO DO BRISBANE - or have I just missed it!!!!!

I understand where some of them are coming from in relation to being split in decision - we lived in Napier NZ was on Tues I think and they said it was too quiet - I agree I stuck it out for 9 months and then came home, luck for me hubby followed but it does have to be right for everyone.

The bloke the other day whos wife was in tears and just was not happy abou living in the uK, he didn't want to be there from day 1, he criticised everything, he didn't really seem to care as long as he was in his comfort zone of the family business!

Well I will stop rambling now but if anyone could tell me when Brisbane will be on - thanks
F:D

zanderman Jan 17th 2008 5:21 pm

Doesnt look like it is (had a look at the next week on sky+ and no Brisbane) and there is no Sydney either...........

Must be sponsored by the Oz and NZ government or something as they have all been to places that need more people. (lots of NZ and Perth!)

Originally Posted by Basty (Post 5801387)
Well I will stop rambling now but if anyone could tell me when Brisbane will be on - thanks
F:D

fairwayskid Jan 17th 2008 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by zanderman (Post 5801428)
Doesnt look like it is (had a look at the next week on sky+ and no Brisbane) and there is no Sydney either...........

Must be sponsored by the Oz and NZ government or something as they have all been to places that need more people. (lots of NZ and Perth!)

They have a revisted on next wednesday about brisbane. But dont know if the family moved or not. about as close as we will get:thumbup: